Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : Assessing Canada's Olympiad

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
    I couldn't agree more with these sentiments. At the recent Olympics in London, many of our Canadian athletes (including several medallists) were experienced competitors in their late 20's or 30's, with at least one previous Olympic experience. Wouldn`t it be great if we could say the same about our CHESS Olympians. The $64,000 question is, how do we make it happen, gov`ts don`t seem interested, we can`t seem to get much private sector support either, the public perception of chess is of a kids`activity like Spelling Bee.
    Another question just as important is : what has been done to try to get governments, the private sector or simply wealthy individuals interested in supporting the national teams ? The answer is always "nothing" or next to nothing. The assumptions are : they are not interested so we do not try, it is not necessary anyway because we will always find players willing to go for nothing. Sponsorship do not fall from the sky on your lap. Something must be done to get it. Unfortunately this starts with the CFC. If the limited goal always remains to just pay airfare and be happy when it happens, then forget about keeping our GMs interested and strong showing at olympiads. When players like LeSiège or Bluvshtein completely give up chess, this is a tragedy in terms of loss of image, knowledge and experience. Everything should be done to make it happen less frequently or less completely. The CFC should be aware that it has a role to play in this whether they like it or not. I am not sure it is the case.

Comment

Re : Canada Played Up

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Canadian Opposition According to Final Ranking

# 10 – Azerbaijan
      # 16 - Sweden
      # 22 – Argentina
      # 29 – Belarus
      # 31 - Turkmenistan
      # 43 – Mexico
      # 46- Mongolia
      # 50 - Kazakhstan
      # 52 – Canada# 66 – Albania
      # 127- Maldives
      # 136 - Haiti

So in effect, Canada “ played up “ 8/11 times. We really had only 2 “ easy “ matches.
      The lower our team is seeded, the easier it gets to "play up". When we'll be seeded in the 100s, we will always play up...

Comment

Re: Re : Canada Played Up

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        The lower our team is seeded, the easier it gets to "play up". When we'll be seeded in the 100s, we will always play up...
        True, but since Bob's up-down ratio is based on final scores, we can see that the worse we score, the greater the up-down ratio would be. I mean, if we placed last, then all our opponents would have been "up".

The opposite happened to those winning Armenians. Do you realise that, based on final scores, ALL their opponents finished lower than them! The Armenian up-down ratio was 0/11. They had it easy, compared with Canada! :p

If the up-down ratio was based on original ranking, it might be a little more useful...

Comment

Re: Assessing Canada's Olympiad

I share Jean Hebert's dismay at the financial rewards for Canadian chessplayers. The money is simply not there and it is not for want of trying as I can attest from my persona experience.
          Why do the top athletes in some sports get millions (even tens of millions0 for showing up while a Canadian chess master may pick up a few thousands for winning a 9-round event (perhaps 50 hours of play based on thousands of hours of practice)? The principal answer is: television.
          All the highly paid sports capture large television audiences as the basis for high value advertising and thus lucrative package deals. Many, but not all, are team events with the additional energy that generates e.g. baseball, football, soccer. Even the individual sports, such as tennis or golf, capture large television audiences and the players are organized to obtain their reasonable share of the proceeds. Even poker has, with the advent of fibre optic cameras to pick up the cards in each player's hand, managed to capture a substantial viewership and the sponsorship that goes with it. The best feature of all these "sports" is that one does not have to play the game well, or even play it at all, to enjoy the visual spectacle.
          Now look at chess. More to the point, why would anyone watch chess? I am not talking here about keen chess fans who follow the moves online or on a screen. The visual spectacle is hardly captivating: a table, a board and two chairs; sometimes, but not always, at least one player seated in contemplation.
          Attempts have been made to render the game more telegenic: at the recent WCC a valiant effort was made to create a television event, with live grandmaster commentary, etc., but the audience was pitifully small, even in Russia; other attempts have been made, notably with Britain's "The Master Game" to bring chess to life on television but the ratings apparently did not justify continuing or replicating the experiment.
          Unless and until we find some way to attract audiences in the millions for chess events on television there will be a pronounced lack of sponsorship interest. That will leave the game dependent on the random largesse of government (Turkey) or private individuals (Saint Louis).
          One final observation: for all their mistakes, Short and Kasparov were on the right track when they tried to put players in control of their own sport. Unfortunately, this and subsequent attempts have gone nowhere. The financial destinies of players remain in the hands of chess functionaries many of whom, dare I say, are in it for their own advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
            One final observation: for all their mistakes, Short and Kasparov were on the right track when they tried to put players in control of their own sport. Unfortunately, this and subsequent attempts have gone nowhere. The financial destinies of players remain in the hands of chess functionaries many of whom, dare I say, are in it for their own advantage.
            This was my first Olympiad (Match Arbiter), and also my first time dropping in at various FIDE meetings, sharing drinks with key chess people, etc. In my anecdotal observations, some of the chess functionaries seemed to be keeping up a remarkably high work rate, but like in other walks of life, some lesser functionaries "seemed" to be "draining the system".

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post

This doesn't really make sense - the problem is not who is doing the organizing. It is that no one has (as of yet) come up with a model on how to present chess in a way that would attract sponsors and money into the game. It doesn't matter if the players have control or other organizers.

Comment

Re: Canada Played Up

# 10 – Azerbaijan
                # 16 - Sweden
                # 22 – Argentina
                # 29 – Belarus
                # 31 - Turkmenistan
                # 43 – Mexico
                # 46- Mongolia
                # 50 - Kazakhstan
                # 52 – Canada# 66 – Albania
                # 127- Maldives
                # 136 - Haiti

So in effect, Canada “ played up “ 8/11 times. We really had only 2 “ easy “ matches.

Bob
                Let's look at Sweden because we played them so far into the event. After round 9 we had 11 match points the same as Sweden. They beat us in round 10 by a half point. 2.5 - 1.5.. In round 11 they defeated Brazil 3 - 1 to slip into 16th place.

The team had their chances. The last two rounds are important for the placings.

On board 4 Eric finished 10th and it's ranked by performance rating. His performance rating far exceeded his FIDE rating. Very well done!
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  The team had their chances.
                  Agreed.

It was sad to see Bator's losses in promising positions. I hope he is still fine.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                    This doesn't really make sense - the problem is not who is doing the organizing. It is that no one has (as of yet) come up with a model on how to present chess in a way that would attract sponsors and money into the game. It doesn't matter if the players have control or other organizers.
                    Actually.... someone has come up with that model. It's just not in the public domain yet. Also, it will not be pure standard chess that is presented. There will be an element of standard chess to it so that current chessplayers can move effortlessly into it. But there are other elements as well. This is all neccessary because standard chess alone cannot and will not ever be tolerable to watch for the non-playing public. You can speed the game up, you can reduce the number of draws, you could even have the players insulting each other a la Chesstalk. That still won't do the job.

The chess purists will abhor what is going to happen. I'm sure many of them will boycott it. But once it's out there, nothing they do will stop significant migration, and the biggest reason is that serious chess players at all but the lowest levels will finally be able to make a decent living playing.... chess.... sort of....

As I've written in other posts, this is not an attempt to undermine standard chess. There will always be standard chess purists to continue that activity. Whether or not there will be a standard chess World Championship in 10 or 20 years, and whether it will have the prestige and following and sponsorship it has now, is another matter, but clubs and tournaments will live on. And that is a good thing.

In case anyone is wondering, no, this new model will not be called chess.

I know Larry Bevand will love it, because there will be lots of books and DVDs for him to sell to willing buyers.

And let me conclude again with this disclaimer: There is no guarantee any of this will happen. The world could still end on December 21st 2012.
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

If you look at all the popular sports in the world, it's amazing how few FUNDAMENTAL changes have occured over the decades. Take baseball, for example. Aside from the designated hitter rule (and that only in the A.L.) and tweaking the dimensions of the pitcher's mound, the game has not changed rule-wise since WW II at least (equipment, uniform styles and steroids are another matter, of course). The same is true of other major sports/games and I trust it will remain true of chess as well. What might help the popularity of chess is superficial gimmicks such as celebrity tournaments involving movie stars teamed up with GMs, or 'skins game' style blitz matches. Or you could insert an element of chance - some years ago an American GM (Larry Evans?) came up with 'Vegas Fun Chess' where you rolled dice to determine which piece you could move (or something like that). Of course, 'serious' chess would continue.

Comment

# 10 – Azerbaijan

from whychess.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                          What might help the popularity of chess is superficial gimmicks such as celebrity tournaments involving movie stars teamed up with GMs, or 'skins game' style blitz matches.
                          I would devote countless years to becoming a GM just to team up with:

But seriously though, that sounds like a good idea.

I was going to say, along the lines of chess and TV, that blitz chess would be pretty entertaining to watch for spectators. The whole point of poker viewership increasing is because the audience can see the cards and the action is quite fast-paced (not always though). In chess, this equivocates to some interesting and engaging personalities to provide useful and basic narration/commentary. The computer analysis window pointing out the strongest moves is the same as the camera showing the cards in poker, and if the chess is 'blitz' then I think the pace would be quick enough for anyone. A lot of my friends will have no idea what chess is but stay to watch me play for hours simply out of how impressive it is that I have it mastered to a level they cannot fathom.

Also, I watch those old TV blitz matches between Dreev, Kasparov, Anand, Short all the time. The modern World Blitz Championships footage that some peopple have captured on video cameras and uploaded to youtube have over 100,000 views in some cases, but all with at least 30,000. People find that stuff interesting!

Comment

The Olympiad produced few surprises. The usual suspects and favorites - Armenia, Russia, and Ukraine finished on top. The countries with the biggest plus differential were Romania, Vietnam, Denmark and our encounter, Sweden, while Israel, France, and England finished well off their ranks. Argentina and The Philippines finished outside top 20 but by no means they had a wonderful run.The players who impressed were Aronian and...Eric Hansen - the player with highest performance who was not a GM at the time!

The positive for Canadian chess is Hansen's result and, more important, his play. Crystal clear. I watched live his game against Mexico, where his opponent, an IM, couldn't cross the midfield. Should the names of the players been unknown to me, I would have guessed is one of Karpov's games from the early 80s!

And next time, bring Sydney Crossby along. He may prove to be useful against those Scandinavians :-)
                            Last edited by Laurentiu Grigorescu; Tuesday, 11th September, 2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Maybe this doesn't count as a surprise, but it was certainly a positive development. IA Aris Marghetis was a match Arbiter in the top section of the Olympiad. His final board assignment speaks volumes. He was given the Armenia - Hungary match. I was present at the farewell party when both Aronian and Leko made a point of complimenting Aris for his professionalism and dedication to their match.

Not bad Aris - not bad at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                                IA Aris Marghetis was a match Arbiter in the top section of the Olympiad. His final board assignment speaks volumes. He was given the Armenia - Hungary match.

A guy with a tie

Comment

Working...
                                X