Canadian Team selection process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Team selection process

May be now, few days after finish of Olympiad in Istanbul, is the best time to consider some changes in Canadian Team selection process.

1. For the last 2 Olympiads, the Selection Committee chose 60% of the Canadian Team line-up. The initial idea (1 Canadian champion, 3 by rating, 1 by Committee) looks logical to me; however, the reality of Canadian chess increases the power of this Committee. K.Spraggett doesn't want to play for Canada and J.Hebert (2010) and M.Bluvshtein (2012) decided not to participate.

For the 2014 Olympiad, the Committee will probably choose at least 2 players. K.Spraggett is still playing very strong, but his conflict with CFC isn't solved, and almost for sure he will be qualified by rating but decide not to play. BTW, I am pretty sure both Canadian eligible GMs (B.Sambuev and E.Hansen) will play for Canada in 2014.

I believe, right now Committee has huge power. I want CFC to consider some changes, so this Committee will choose only 1 player. In my opinion, this decision could make the selection process more fair and more predictable.

Taking this year as an example, we will have had these steps:
    1). B.Sambuev (champion 2011) - accepted.
    2). M.Bluvshtein (rating) - declined.
    3). K.Spraggett (rating) - declined.
    4). L.Gerzhoy (rating) - accepted.
    Now instead of giving the Committee 3 spots, we continue to go to the next eleigible player by rating.
    5). N.Noritsyn - accepted.
    6). E.Hansen - accepted.
    Only after 4 eligible players accepted the invitation, Committee chooses 5-th player.

I know that this year the Committee chose players according to their rating; however it could be different next Olympiad.

2. Now the average between the highest CFC and FIDE rating is calculated for the selection. In my opinion, the CFC rating for the top Canadian players became almost irrelevant and thus shouldn't be taken into account at all.

After a couple of years of "artificial inflation", CFC rating became much higher than FIDE, but this is not the main problem for the selection. The main problem is the difference between more inflated (Ontario, especially Toronto, and maybe Alberta) provinces and other (Quebec, BC) provinces, which is absolutely unfair for players outside of Ontario (and maybe Alberta).

Playing in BC this summer, I paid attention to very low (around 30-50 points) rating differences between CFC and FIDE ratings for most BC players. In Ontario this number is around 150-180, in Alberta more than 100. This makes it pretty difficult for players outside of these 2 provinces to qualify by rating.

As a team captain, I didn't regard CFC rating for the board order. As far as I know, in 2010 Yura Ochkoos did exactly the same. For example, in 2010 T.Russel-Roosmon was playing on board 2, although his CFC rating was the lowest in the team.

Nowadays, almost every tournament is rated in both CFC and FIDE. For the last couple of years, I played only 1 tournament that was not FIDE-rated (Hamilton Open). CFC rating is now useful mostly for kids' tournamnents and for lower-rated (below 2000) players.

3. Now about the 5th Team Canada player, which would be chosen by the Committee. I believe that the main factor for the selection (of cource, after chess level) should be age. This wild-card should be given in most cases to a young player, who can improve his chess in the future.

This proposal doesn't mean that veteran players cannot qualify. They can do it by rating or by winning Canadian Closed (like J.Hebert). But this wild-card is not for them.

Taking this year as an example, the Committee could have considered players like T.Krnan, B.Cheng, R.Panjwani, A.Samsonkin and maybe even R.Sapozhnikov. They all were lower-rated than the nominee, but the difference wasn't too big.

Again the best time for changes is now. A few months before the deadline (around March 2014) will be too late; everything will be taken personally.

Re : Canadian Team selection process

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    2. Now the average between the highest CFC and FIDE rating is calculated for the selection. In my opinion, the CFC rating for the top Canadian players became almost irrelevant and thus shouldn't be taken into account at all.
    I agree. Considering the CFC rating at this level doesn't make any sense.
    Also, GM Kovalyov should be part of the team on next Olympiads. Maybe we could hope for an all-GM team? :)

Comment

Re: Canadian Team selection process

Spraggett, Kovalyov, Bluvshtein, Hansen.

I like it :)

Comment

As a team captain, I didn't regard CFC rating for the board order.
        If you knew then what you know now would you use the same board order?

An indicator for how a player performed is the performance rating compared to the FIDE rating.

Those Olympiad records are there forever so it's understandable strong players aren't interested in playing on weak teams.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Canadian Team selection process

K.Spraggett is still playing very strong, but his conflict with CFC isn't solved, and almost for sure he will be qualified by rating but decide not to play.
          I wonder if the CFC is willing (or doing anything) to solve the conflict.

Comment

Re: Re : Canadian Team selection process

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
            I wonder if the CFC is willing (or doing anything) to solve the conflict.
            Most of the 'conflict' is based on past grievances (obviously, since KS has had nothing to do with the CFC for many years). I don't even know if there is a definitive list of the 'issues' ...

Most of the current CFC Executive probably had nothing to do with any of the issues, but KS clearly has a "my way or no way" attitude (reminds me of the current hockey dictator Gary -the little prince- Bettman)

Given all this, I doubt very much there will ever be a good outcome.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              I don't even know if there is a definitive list of the 'issues' ...
              <stirring the pot> Speaking of which, every year or so KS starts promising his definitive exposé of the CFC... coming soon! I haven't seen mention of it for a while. </stirring>

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                <stirring the pot> Speaking of which, every year or so KS starts promising his definitive exposé of the CFC... coming soon! I haven't seen mention of it for a while. </stirring>
                Yes, that is still 'coming soon' I guess. Maybe his lawyers have held up the publication - depends I guess on the libel laws in Portugal or Canada or both?
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Have you forwarded your suggestions to the CFC executive, Victor?

Comment

I want to thank Victor Plotkin for, first of all, serving very well as Captain of the Canadian men's team at Istanbul Olympiad 2012! :)

His many worthwhile ideas for improving the team selection process for the future are thoughtful, insightful, and carefully presented. Thanks go to him for this, as well. :)

If he has not already done so, I would encourage Victor to submit his ideas to the CFC Executive and Governors for discussion.

I have one suggestion, on the problems of using different-system ratings for team selection, CFC ratings' regional disparities, and other data.

I think it is important to use all available information concerning a player's strength and recent form, so I would not discard CFC ratings entirely. But there does seem to be some regional disparity in CFC ratings, as Victor explains. This problem is not easily solved, so I would not try to do so, for this purpose. But where a player has played in CFC-rated events, that data should be utilized, in addition to his FIDE-rated events, and even events from the U.S. which have not been FIDE-rated (although most important U.S. events are now FIDE-rated). So, it is a matter of coming up with an equitable formula for doing this. We have many qualified and experienced chess people in Canada, who could perhaps be organized into a committee to debate this. My suggestion is to develop an intricate formula using all available data for each player under consideration, and have it time-sensitive as well, so that more recent results count for more. :)

Comment

I will just add a bit more to my ideas; I was being logged out just as I finished my previous post on this topic.

If players under consideration for Canadian team selection HAVE played in FQE-rated events which have been NEITHER CFC-rated NOR FIDE-rated, then these events SHOULD also count in any formula designed to measure players' strength and recent form. :)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Canadian Team selection process

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Most of the 'conflict' is based on past grievances (obviously, since KS has had nothing to do with the CFC for many years). I don't even know if there is a definitive list of the 'issues' ...

Most of the current CFC Executive probably had nothing to do with any of the issues, but KS clearly has a "my way or no way" attitude (reminds me of the current hockey dictator Gary -the little prince- Bettman)

Given all this, I doubt very much there will ever be a good outcome.
                        As I see it, GM Spraggett playing on first board would not only bring many points to the Canadian olympic team, but he would also play the role of mentor for the young members of the team.

Also, there is the problem of all our Canadian IMs and GMs quitting chess after a few years. But GM Spraggett is the only Canadian grandmaster who actually succeeded in becoming a successful professional chess player. Am I alone to think that he would be a valuable asset in counselling our young aspiring titled players who would like to follow his steps ?

Of course, the main question is: do we care or not? Because, if we don't really care, it is so easy to find excuses for doing nothing, like "the conflict is based on past grievances, so it's not our fault and we cannot do anything about it, and anyway KS clearly has a "my way or no way" attitude..."

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Canadian Team selection process

Since Kevin is the one who has the problem with the CFC... perhaps he could outline - clearly - what exactly would have to happen for him to participate in 2014. Then the CFC could decide one way or the other if that was of interest to them.

I don't think he will actually clearly state what he wants, however. But I challenge him to prove me wrong :)
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Canadian Team selection process

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                            Since Kevin is the one who has the problem with the CFC... perhaps he could outline - clearly - what exactly would have to happen for him to participate in 2014. Then the CFC could decide one way or the other if that was of interest to them.

I don't think he will actually clearly state what he wants, however. But I challenge him to prove me wrong :)
                            Even if KS had no problem at all with the CFC, why would he, a serious professionnal chess player, want to spend over 2 weeks of his time every second year to play in olympiads for no financial compensation at all ? It is all very nice to represent one's country but eventually one must somehow make a living off his chosen profession. This is not just KS's problem...

Comment

As a team captain, I didn't regard CFC rating for the board order. As far as I know, in 2010 Yura Ochkoos did exactly the same. For example, in 2010 T.Russel-Roosmon was playing on board 2, although his CFC rating was the lowest in the team.
                              Just as a note, Yura Ochkoos (Canadian Women team captain), this year used just CFC ratings for the board order.

Comment

Working...
                              X