Strange piece placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange piece placement

There are many positions (particularly from Dragon Sicilians) in which you find every square on the a1-h8 diagonal occupied. e.g.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 a6 3. g3 Nc6 4. Bg2 g6 5. d4 cxd4 6. Nxd4 Bg7 7. Be3 Nf6 8. Nc3 Ne5

Or every square on a file occupied (e.g. Giuoco Piano types of positions on the c-file, and Colle-like positions on the f-file).

Are there any other positions that arose in actual games in which all the squares of the h1-a8 diagonal, or all squares of any file (other than the c or f-files) are occupied? (all squares on a rank are occupied many times besides the initial position) Probably there is a searching algorithm in Chessbase to do this, but I couldn't see one.

Re: Strange piece placement

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    There are many positions (particularly from Dragon Sicilians) in which you find every square on the a1-h8 diagonal occupied. e.g.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 a6 3. g3 Nc6 4. Bg2 g6 5. d4 cxd4 6. Nxd4 Bg7 7. Be3 Nf6 8. Nc3 Ne5

Or every square on a file occupied (e.g. Giuoco Piano types of positions on the c-file, and Colle-like positions on the f-file).

Are there any other positions that arose in actual games in which all the squares of the h1-a8 diagonal, or all squares of any file (other than the c or f-files) are occupied? (all squares on a rank are occupied many times besides the initial position) Probably there is a searching algorithm in Chessbase to do this, but I couldn't see one.
    If I understand what you mean, Chess Assistant (since at least v 9 I believe)has this capability in their very powerful search.

For the h1-a8 diagonal, it found 234,000 games is less than 2 minutes
    out of 4.2 million games.

for example
    Balogh -Pinter Ch Slovakia 2011

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 c6 6.Be3 O-O 7.Qd2 a6
    8.Bd3 e5 9.d5 ...

486,000 on your diagonal.

a-file 255 games eg Romanishin -Howell Wijk 2009 move 21
    b-file 263 games eg Romanishin-Cabrilo Lvov 1981 move 20
    (would you like just Oleg games ? :))
    c- has 34,445 games (Oleg has been White thrice, Black 3 times)

Each search took <2 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

If I understand what you mean, Chess Assistant (since at least v 9 I believe)has this capability in their very powerful search.

for example

8.Bd3 e5 9.d5 ...

Comment

Anastasovski-Szalay, Canadian Zonal 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post

for example

8.Bd3 e5 9.d5 ...

How about any games in which all squares on BOTH diagonals (a1 to h8, h1 to a8) are occupied?

Or how about any games in which all squares on 2 consecutive files are occupied (i.e. c and d files)?
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
            How about any games in which all squares on BOTH diagonals (a1 to h8, h1 to a8) are occupied?

Or how about any games in which all squares on 2 consecutive files are occupied (i.e. c and d files)?
            I had run the both diagonals, but it wasn't too rare (can't recall the exact number at the moment), including Marshall-Capablanca, NY 1927. Consecutive files - I will look at that sometime - I expect that to be rare.

Comment

I had run the both diagonals, but it wasn't too rare (can't recall the exact number at the moment), including Marshall-Capablanca, NY 1927. Consecutive files - I will look at that sometime - I expect that to be rare.
              both diagonals - 1440

d file - 21432
              e-15822
              f-37455
              g - 14139 !
              h-345

I didn't find any consecutive files, but I did find this where I suspect the girls were having some fun.
              [Event "Ch Ukraine"]
              [Site "Chernigov (Ukraine)"]
              [Date "2005.4.4"]
              [Round "11"]
              [White "Pokotilo Marina"]
              [Black "Ivanenko Olga (UKR)"]
              [Result "1/2-1/2"]
              [Eco "D02"]

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 Bf5 4.Nbd2 Nbd7 5.e3 e6 6.Bd3 Bd6 7.O-O
              O-O 1/2-1/2

Comment

both diagonals - 1440

d file - 21432
                e-15822
                f-37455
                g - 14139 !
                h-345

I didn't find any consecutive files, but I did find this where I suspect the girls were having some fun.
                [Event "Ch Ukraine"]
                [Site "Chernigov (Ukraine)"]
                [Date "2005.4.4"]
                [Round "11"]
                [White "Pokotilo Marina"]
                [Black "Ivanenko Olga (UKR)"]
                [Result "1/2-1/2"]
                [Eco "D02"]

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 Bf5 4.Nbd2 Nbd7 5.e3 e6 6.Bd3 Bd6 7.O-O
                O-O 1/2-1/2

That fun game you gave could be continued:
                8. Qe2 Qe7
                9. Rad1 Rad8
                10.Rfe1 Rfe8
                11.Kf1 Kf8

and then to make it consecutive files,

12.Be5 Be4
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

That fun game you gave could be continued:
                  8. Qe2 Qe7
                  9. Rad1 Rad8
                  10.Rfe1 Rfe8
                  11.Kf1 Kf8

and then to make it consecutive files,

12.Be5 Be4
                  Hey that's really cool, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                    Hey that's really cool, thanks for sharing.
                    You're welcome. What's interesting also is that there is no way from the standard opening position to achieve 3 files (consecutive or not) all occupied by pieces / pawns. This would require 24 total pieces, meaning (with material balanced) 12 per side. That means each side would have 4 pieces / pawns not on the 3 files. But in the standard opening position, if you eliminate any 3 files, each side would have 5 pawns not on the 3 files. There is no way to get the pawns to one of the 3 files without capturing an opposing piece / pawn, which defeats the purpose in this case.

Of course, if someone was REALLY creative, they could concoct a game in which each side allowed an opposing pawn to reach the 8th rank, thus promoting to Queen (or even better, a Knight). To do this, they'd each have to allow the opposing pawn to capture one of their pawns. Once it's promoted to a Knight, it can then occupy one of the 3 files. But obviously, such a game would be pure fantasy designed to get 3 files totally occupied, but at least it would demonstrate that it COULD be done using purely legal chess moves from the starting position.

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 Bf5 4.Nbd2 Nbd7 5.e3 e6 6.Bd3 Bd6 7.O-O O-O 8.Qe2 Qe7 9.Rad1 Rad8 10.Rfe1 Rfe8 11.Kf1 Kf8 12.a4 a5 13.b4 b5 14.bxa5 bxa4 15.a6 a3 16.a7 a2 17.a8=N a1=N 18.Nb6 Nb3 19.Nbc4 Nbc5 20.Nce5 Nce4

Perhaps someday at a tournament in Quebec, in the last round, 2 players will agree beforehand on a draw, then sit down at the board next to Jean Hebert and play these moves, and in this position shake hands for the draw. They'll have a video camera recording Hebert's reaction as he watches the game!
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

wasn't there a Karpov-Kasparov game that filled the a file?

Comment

I believe it also happened in one of the recent World Championship games Anand - Gelfand.

Comment

You're welcome. What's interesting also is that there is no way from the standard opening position to achieve 3 files (consecutive or not) all occupied by pieces / pawns. This would require 24 total pieces, meaning (with material balanced) 12 per side. That means each side would have 4 pieces / pawns not on the 3 files. But in the standard opening position, if you eliminate any 3 files, each side would have 5 pawns not on the 3 files. There is no way to get the pawns to one of the 3 files without capturing an opposing piece / pawn, which defeats the purpose in this case.

Of course, if someone was REALLY creative, they could concoct a game in which each side allowed an opposing pawn to reach the 8th rank, thus promoting to Queen (or even better, a Knight). To do this, they'd each have to allow the opposing pawn to capture one of their pawns. Once it's promoted to a Knight, it can then occupy one of the 3 files. But obviously, such a game would be pure fantasy designed to get 3 files totally occupied, but at least it would demonstrate that it COULD be done using purely legal chess moves from the starting position.

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 Bf5 4.Nbd2 Nbd7 5.e3 e6 6.Bd3 Bd6 7.O-O O-O 8.Qe2 Qe7 9.Rad1 Rad8 10.Rfe1 Rfe8 11.Kf1 Kf8 12.a4 a5 13.b4 b5 14.bxa5 bxa4 15.a6 a3 16.a7 a2 17.a8=N a1=N 18.Nb6 Nb3 19.Nbc4 Nbc5 20.Nce5 Nce4

Perhaps someday at a tournament in Quebec, in the last round, 2 players will agree beforehand on a draw, then sit down at the board next to Jean Hebert and play these moves, and in this position shake hands for the draw. They'll have a video camera recording Hebert's reaction as he watches the game!
                          Or maybe you could start to market a chess variant where the initial starting positions are replaced by the pieces placed on both first ranks and the a and h file... extra pieces can be placed somewhere else by a roll of dice... and ...
                          Bonham Randam Chess
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Or maybe you could start to market a chess variant where the initial starting positions are replaced by the pieces placed on both first ranks and the a and h file... extra pieces can be placed somewhere else by a roll of dice... and ...
                            Bonham Randam Chess

YESSS! And I'll convince Ontario schools to teach it in the regular school curriculum. Jean Hebert, if you read this, respond with the probabilities of rolling, with 2 normal six-sided die, each possible sum from 2 to 12, and if you're correct, you will become the first Certified Professor of BRC.

Imagine! It's BRC -- a game! -- instead of math or science!
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                            X