So Alberta when are you having a celebration for GM Eric Hansen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Alberta when are you having a celebration for GM Eric Hansen?

Abe Yanofsky was the first GM for Manitoba (and for Canada and the British Commonwealth!) in 1964 (and only one it turns out). BC has the legendary Duncan Suttles and Peter Biyiasis. Quebec had the luxury of a dynasty with Jean Hebert, Kevin Spraggett, Alexandre Lesiege, Pascal Charbonneau, and Thomas Roussel-Roozman. Ontario finally had a GM in Mark Bluvshtein. The road to Grandmaster is a long and torturous one and GM Eric Hansen is the first grandmaster for Alberta. Worthy of a celebration, no?

Re: So Alberta when are you having a celebration for GM Eric Hansen?

We have been celebrating for two weeks now:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Abe Yanofsky was the first GM for Manitoba (and for Canada and the British Commonwealth!) in 1964 (and only one it turns out). BC has the legendary Duncan Suttles and Peter Biyiasis. Quebec had the luxury of a dynasty with Jean Hebert, Kevin Spraggett, Alexandre Lesiege, Pascal Charbonneau, and Thomas Roussel-Roozman. Ontario finally had a GM in Mark Bluvshtein. The road to Grandmaster is a long and torturous one and GM Eric Hansen is the first grandmaster for Alberta. Worthy of a celebration, no?
      Did Jean Hebert make the Grandmaster title?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Frangakis View Post
        Did Jean Hebert make the Grandmaster title?
        correspondence.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          correspondence.

Oh!?

I don't think I would lump correspondence GMs together with OTB GM's-but that may a philosophical discussion......

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I think he's scheduled to give a couple of lectures at the Alberta Open over Thanksgiving long weekend. I'm sure he'll receive plenty of congratulations there.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
              I think he's scheduled to give a couple of lectures at the Alberta Open over Thanksgiving long weekend. I'm sure he'll receive plenty of congratulations there.
              But what about the parade? Standing ovation in the legislature? Press tour? Giving simuls in all the communities?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                But what about the parade? Standing ovation in the legislature? Press tour? Giving simuls in all the communities?
                haha.... i wish there was even a tiny bit of recognition!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                  haha.... i wish there was even a tiny bit of recognition!
                  The ladies will come my friend. Or at least they did for me once I got my nice Investment position at ScotiaBank :)

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Frangakis View Post
                    Oh!?

I don't think I would lump correspondence GMs together with OTB GM's-but that may a philosophical discussion......

Thanks for the info.
                    I doubt either title will ever be a concern for you.

The group of dual, FIDE and ICCF, Grandmasters is relatively small. The sole Canadian to hold both GM titles is Duncan Suttles.

The most recent FIDE GM to earn his ICCF GM title, Rafael Leitao, of Brazil played board 1 for Brazil in the recently concluded FIDE Olympiad and scored 60%.

Possibly part of the reason other nations are leaving Canada in the dust, longing for the days when Fairy Chess variants will be their saviour, is because their players are willing to put in the time studying chess theory and succeeding at correspondence chess as a way of improving their over the board chess results.

Leitao finished 3rd in World Championship final 26.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      I doubt either title will ever be a concern for you.
                      Hahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                        Hahahahahaha
                        The old saying: "It's funny cuz it's true" holds here

Comment

Re : So Alberta when are you having a celebration for GM Eric Hansen?

It took a while, but Eric is finally in the news.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/378...s-grandmaster/

Comment

Congratulations Eric!

Comment

Eric Hansen will be doing a four minute radio interview tomorrow morning Sept 25, 2012 at 6:15 (Alberta time) on QR77 The Morning News with Bruce Kenyon.

Here is the website where you can listen to it online:

http://player.qr77.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X