Dresden round 11 pairings are up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dresden round 11 pairings are up

Men: Colombia. This may be a dangerous team to play. No GMs and ranked #59; their board one is on pace for a GM norm with a performance rating well over 2600. If Canada wins the match, it could mean a place in the top 30.

Women: Portugal.

Re: Dresden round 11 pairings are up

The 11th and final round starts Tuesday at 10 am German time; That's 1 am Pacific Time or 4 am EST.

Colombia beat Czech Republic, so is no pushover.

In 1982, Canada also played Scotland and Colombia.... The biggest difference in the Olympiads since then is that three countries (CS, SU, YU) from 1982 became 23 countries in 2008. In 1982, we played one of them. In 2008, we didn't play any!

Comment

One interesting observation Judit Polgar lost her last three including against Columbia. So it will be a very challenging match especially boards one and two.

Good luck to both Canadian teams.
      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 24th November, 2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Way back in 1990, the one and only year I was a member of the Olympiad team (albeit on board six) we played Colombia in round 11. We played our top four players and they still beat us 4-0. A lot has changed since then but, please, let us not have a repeat of that. "Vengence!" he cried.
        Last edited by Gordon Taylor; Tuesday, 25th November, 2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
          Way back in 1990, the one and only year I was a member of the Olympiad team (albeit on board six) we played Columbia in round 11. We played our top four players and they still beat us 4-0. A lot has changed since then but, please, let us not have a repeat of that. "Vengence!" he cried.
          Maybe my board 1 win against Columbia in the Correspondence PanAmerican Team event the last time I played the event wasn't such a bad result.

Losing 4-0 is what I call being "skunked". :)
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

What do Monika Grabics (a former Olympiad player for Hungary) and Harriet Hunt (a former Olympiad first board for England) have in common?

They are both left-handed.

(required to keep the post on topic with chess).

What do Gary Ruben and Duncan Smith have in common?

Neither knows how to spell Colombia, the country in South America.

Gordon makes three, but that makes the joke less funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              Neither knows how to spell Colombia, the country in South America.
              That wasn't even a typo.

How about we get picky and analyse this. I checked the ICCF rating list on the web server and they spell the country name with the "U". Columbia. I would assume the delegate for the country would point out the spelling error, if in fact there is one. While we generally accept the spelling you have highlighted, is it possible the residents of the country prefer the spelling I'm using?

One other point, appearantly, the name of the country comes from Christopher Columbus. The normal spelling you are using is from the Italian spelling of the name Columbus. Of course, the Spanish spelling is also different than either of the other two spellings.

On the other hand, FIDE uses the same spelling you do.

I'm thinking back and can not remember how I addressed the letters I sent to that country over the years, if I sent any there. That's what I call a Seniors Moment.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                That wasn't even a typo.
                Embassy of Canada to Colombia
                Embajada de Canadá en Colombia
                Ambassade du Canada à Colombie
                http://geo.international.gc.ca/latin-america/colombia/menu-en.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  Embassy of Canada to Colombia
                  Embajada de Canadá en Colombia
                  Ambassade du Canada à Colombie
                  http://geo.international.gc.ca/latin-america/colombia/menu-en.aspx
                  Opinion seem to vary according to the language.

In any case, I'll have to change the way I spell it and leave the fellow whom Jonathan has suggested is my twin to spell it any way he wants. :)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

In any case, I'll have to change the way I spell it and leave the fellow whom Jonathan has suggested is my twin to spell it any way he wants. :)
                    *who

Duncan makes the same error, so you guys can still be buds. :)
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                      *who

Duncan makes the same error, so you guys can still be buds. :)

Do you seek God?
                      No, I'm not actively seeking Gawd. It's more a case of running from the devil. :)

I'd invite Duncan over for a game of chess, but I'm not sure he plays. He's quite nice in person.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Check out the postage stamps from that country - Colombia.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Aronowitz View Post
                          Check out the postage stamps from that country - Colombia.
                          That's a wonderful idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

I bet you didn't know that I save the world. Yes I do! I have stamps from all over the world which I have collected over about 50 years of correspondence chess. Many still on paper. I had intended to soak them off the paper but it didn't get done and many now reside in a couple of boxes.

There was a player in Russia during the cold war. Can't recall the year. We used to exchange stamps with the glue still on them. It was an ideal situation because the postal system with the USSR was slow. A game took years. Of course, my Russian opponents all wrote English.

Some of the envelopes with stamps were quite thick. Sometimes they would turn up with the top of the envelope slit open. A sticker across the top would say it was found damaged in the mail. Nothing was ever missing.

I used to have to find stamps from other countries to fill out an even trade because Canada did not produce enough stamps. The USSR seemed to turn one out for every day of the year.

With some players I would exchange picture postcards and put on a nice stamp. When the game was over a few players would continue to play on. Is was then customary to use a plain postcard and put a small tear in the corner of the stamp to indicate to the opponent it was time to resign the game.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This just to say that "à Colombie" is NOT French. We say "en Colombie".

http://geo.international.gc.ca/latin...?lang_update=1

Where we read...

Ambassade du Canada à (sic) Colombie

Let's see.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-...?country=60000

Il n’y a aucun renseignement précis concernant de futures activités terroristes ou des menaces contre les citoyens canadiens en Colombie.

And...

Dans la plupart des régions rurales (...) On recommande aux visiteurs de se déplacer par avion seulement et de ne pas entrer en Colombie par les frontières terrestres.

And...

Les Canadiens qui se trouvent en Colombie devraient surveiller les bulletins de nouvelles locales avec attention et s’inscrire auprès de l'ambassade du Canada à Bogotá.

(Yes, "à Bogotá", but "en Colombie".)

("Bogotá" is a city, "Colombie" is a country. So we say "à Paris" but "en France".

And...

Les voyageurs d’affaire et les compagnies canadiennes souhaitant s’établir en Colombie devraient (...)

And...

Les Canadiens qui se rendent en Colombie doivent être en possession d'un passeport canadien. Le passeport doit être valide pour la durée du séjour en Colombie. (...)

And...

Les voyageurs ayant la double nationalité (canadienne et colombienne) doivent présenter leur passeport colombien lorsqu'ils entrent en Colombie et lorsqu'ils en sortent.

And...

Les citoyens canadiens qui se rendent en Colombie à des fins touristiques (...)

And...

Les Canadiens qui se rendent en Colombie par voie terrestre (...)

Also here :

http://www.americas-fr.com/geographie/colombie.html

Also in every country where French is spoken.

Ex PM Trudeau said that in "la Belle Province" we speak "lousy French" (français minable).
                            There was some truth to it :( ... but still, we speak better French than most English speaking Canadian.

JPR

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Pierre Rhéaume View Post
                              Ex PM Trudeau said that in "la Belle Province" we speak "lousy French" (français minable).
                              There was some truth to it :( ... but still, we speak better French than most English speaking Canadian.

JPR
                              M. Trudeau used to speak lousy English. He said one thing before an election and did something else after he won. For example, no wage and price controls.

My French is not very good. I don't have an ear for languages.

I think I listened to too much Rap Music. :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X