X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Ccn

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    What more readers can ask for ?
    It is a chess magazine, thus commented games are must.

Jean, was it your idea to use three same Bator's pictures in the same article?

Comment

Re: Re : Ccn

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      I must admit I was also disappointed by Edward's article. Not only did he went too far in his critics, but the article was also way too long.

This is definitely not the kind of articles that interest most readers, especially those who are only looking to simply play chess occasionally.
      I have read most of the CFC magazines since 1973 when the first CFC Bulletin was published. It is probably safe to say that this was one of the most controversial articles published.

One of my "unofficial" roles on the CFC Executive is to discuss the potential contents of each issue with Edward. We discussed the impact of this article. We discussed my thoughts about the article. I knew it would be controversial, I suggested it wasn't the kind of article I'd write myself (although I'm never going to be IM strength, so we can't really go there).

As Editor, I feel Edward has control over content of the magazine, however, as we distribute it, we could have effectively censored his voice. We didn't.

It's interesting to note that Edward's whole points in writing the article haven't even been discussed by anybody yet:
      a) selection and role of the captain
      b) elimination of the selection committee.
      Any changes to the status quo would have to be made in the form of a motion by one of the CFC Governors to the Board.

Comment

I think it's refreshing he wasn't happy with the placing or his own situation. He wanted to play. That's better than having players who would rather sit out games.

I posted the same team somewhere here in the message base some time before the team was announced. So it was no surprise under the rules. I had a different board order than the official order.

Either the team placing is the very best that team could expect or the board order and/or match ups were not optimal.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Ccn

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Jean, was it your idea to use three same Bator's pictures in the same article?
          I "only" wrote the article. The rest is up to the editor.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Ccn

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            I knew it would be controversial, I suggested it wasn't the kind of article I'd write myself (although I'm never going to be IM strength, so we can't really go there).
            What has the IM title got to do with it ? Are you saying that a non-titled player does not have the capacity to be controversial ? ;)
            I for one do not see Porper's article as "controversial" but as everyone know my tolerance level in that respect is high :). A lot of what he says is common sense. And the rest is made of legitimate opinions (with which I do not necessarily all agree with) and proposals. It is challenging and thought provoking and this in itself is good because canadian chess needs major improvements and changes. What exactly the CFC has to fear from an article like that is beyond my understanding. The worst that could happen (that's usually what happens...) is that it ends up being ignored and forgotten. Otherwise it might lead to progress somehow. Of course the article seems rather long, but in a e-zine it is financially irrelevant. Space is almost unlimited.
            Btw Victor Plotkin's comments on Olympiad matters that appeared here some time ago were also useful in a controversial way to feed discussions and eventually positive changes. All that should be taken into consideration by the CFC.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Ccn

I also enjoy more controversial articles :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Ccn

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                What has the IM title got to do with it ? Are you saying that a non-titled player does not have the capacity to be controversial ? ;)
                I for one do not see Porper's article as "controversial" but as everyone know my tolerance level in that respect is high :). A lot of what he says is common sense. And the rest is made of legitimate opinions (with which I do not necessarily all agree with) and proposals. It is challenging and thought provoking and this in itself is good because canadian chess needs major improvements and changes. What exactly the CFC has to fear from an article like that is beyond my understanding. The worst that could happen (that's usually what happens...) is that it ends up being ignored and forgotten. Otherwise it might lead to progress somehow. Of course the article seems rather long, but in a e-zine it is financially irrelevant. Space is almost unlimited.
                Btw Victor Plotkin's comments on Olympiad matters that appeared here some time ago were also useful in a controversial way to feed discussions and eventually positive changes. All that should be taken into consideration by the CFC.
                Yes. Victor's comments were also useful, and it's unfortunate he didn't have them put in the magazine.

My point about the IM business, is that I can't put myself in his shoes, as I would be just thrilled to be there, but on the other hand, he appears to have had expectations playing wise that weren't met - obviously many of Canada's GM's and IM's have no interest in participating on the present conditions we have to offer.

I don't think I said anything about fear, I said controversial.

Comment

It's interesting to note that Edward's whole points in writing the article haven't even been discussed by anybody yet:
                  Any changes to the status quo would have to be made in the form of a motion by one of the CFC Governors to the Board.
                  Elimination of the selection committee would be a bit awkward as we have just penned a deal which gives the FQE a spot on the committee. Mind you reducing the number of spots chosen by the committee is a reasonable idea if we can work out a conversion formula for FQE/CFC/FIDE ratings that is fair. I find it interesting that there would have been any quibbling over the participation of Eric Hansen. I thought the selection of Eric and Nikolay were obvious based on their recent performances in the year prior to the time of the selection process and also based on ratings.

As for the team captain, it would be nice if we could send a GM who had been on Olympiad teams before whether Canadian or someone else's.

Comment

haven't even been discussed by anybody yet:
                    A committee role was discussed after a Plotkin's article and during the CFC meeting.
                    A captain - at least he did good job to secure a GM title :D

A Porper's complain that he did not get enough to play is strange too. The lowest board never got to play a lot unless you were a rising star like M.Bluvshtein :D
                    A lot of numbers are at http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/can_tea.html

Comment

Re: Ccn

Fred McKim,

When is the next issue scheduled?

Comment

Working...
                      X