Can Carlsen make history today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Carlsen make history today?

Today is the final round of the Sao Paulo-Bilbao tournament. Carlsen's play was lack lustre in Brazil but quite the opposite in Spain.

His 30 move win over Anand yesterday was very impressive. His live rating is now 2848. If he can beat Aronian with Black today he will pass Kasparov's peak rating of 2851.

Re: Can Carlsen make history today?

To me, that milestone doesn't mean much.

Fischer's 2785 is arguably more impressive than Kasparov's 2851. In Fischer's days, only 10-12 players were over 2600, while in Kasparov's days, 10-12 players were over 2700. Nowadays, we have a handful of players near or over 2800.

Mathieu

Comment

Re : Can Carlsen make history today?

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      If he can beat Aronian with Black today he will pass Kasparov's peak rating of 2851.
      Not today. It also looks like Caruana totally discounted that possibility since he took an early 19-move draw with Vallejo, with all 32 pieces still on the board. Caruana shows the better tie-break number at ChessBomb but I don't know at this point if he wins via tie-break or whether he shares joint 1st with Carlsen.

Comment

Re : Can Carlsen make history today?

A 2-game blitz (4+3) tie-break (and a possible Armegeddon in reserve) is about to begin so there will be a clear winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
          To me, that milestone doesn't mean much.

Fischer's 2785 is arguably more impressive than Kasparov's 2851. In Fischer's days, only 10-12 players were over 2600, while in Kasparov's days, 10-12 players were over 2700. Nowadays, we have a handful of players near or over 2800.

Mathieu
          I 100% agree with your entire statement. By the same token, $100 in Fischer's days was worth a whole lot more than it is today. That's the power (or weakness) of inflation.
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            I 100% agree with your entire statement. By the same token, $100 in Fischer's days was worth a whole lot more than it is today. That's the power (or weakness) of inflation.
            But for $100 today I can buy a smartphone with incredible computing power. Back in the 70s I would have been lucky to get a pocket calculator.

It's the same in chess - it's not just that ratings are higher, but players are playing better as well.

Comment

So true Patrick.

Considering the quality and ubiquity of today's chess training tools, it is remarkable that the game is still alive and well!

If 2852 is not impressive in today's climate, what would an impressive milestone be? Is 2900 possible for Magnus?

Comment

So true Patrick.

Considering the quality and ubiquity of today's chess training tools, it is remarkable that the game is still alive and well!

If 2852 is not impressive in today's climate, what would an impressive milestone be? Is 2900 possible for Magnus?
                Hi Hal

Do you or anyone else know if Magnus has ever been asked to play a match against a top playing program?

Like with Karpov, I think he'd be the rare sort of player who would stand some sort of a chance.
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Not the slightest chance. Computer programs are not standing still, have improved year over year, and are now rated like 3200.

In all-human competitions, an impressive rating for Magnus would be 32 points ahead of second, while an astounding number would be 100 points ahead.

Comment

If 2852 is not impressive in today's climate, what would an impressive milestone be?
                    Winning 20 consecutive games against elite opposition? ;)

Is 2900 possible for Magnus?
                    Probably, yes. Just give it some time.

Mathieu

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                      [In a match against a computer, Magnus would have] Not the slightest chance. Computer programs are not standing still, have improved year over year, and are now rated like 3200.

In all-human competitions, an impressive rating for Magnus would be 32 points ahead of second, while an astounding number would be 100 points ahead.
                      I'd consider Magnus losing a standard 6 game match to a computer by only 2-4 (and winning a game) to be at least remotely possible for him. A 300 to 350 point rating gap between humans is no assurance that the stronger player will always triumph.

In the case of Karpov or Magnus, the exceptional positional and endgame skills that they have are what computer playing programs' remaining weaknesses largely consist of. Occasionally, positions requiring such, that computers still don't understand, still arise. The problem is, tactical oversights by humans, in the face of near-perfect opposition in that regard, are inevitable and far more common, unless a human is exceptionally good at avoiding them, or at avoiding tactical positions in general.
                      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                        But for $100 today I can buy a smartphone with incredible computing power. Back in the 70s I would have been lucky to get a pocket calculator.

It's the same in chess - it's not just that ratings are higher, but players are playing better as well.
                        Back in the 70s for 100 dollars you could have gotten a half dozen phones for your home. With more than enough left over to treat a pretty lady on a fab date. Then you could use one of those phones to call her a taxi the next morning and still be a gentleman and pay for the cab fare too. Or maybe from a pay phone at the breakfast place.

Today all you get is the phone. Is angry birds that exciting? ;):p
                        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 16th October, 2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't the best criteria of excellence be the gap between #1 and #2 in the standings? I've always understood that Fischer had the greatest lead of all time. On any given day at his peak he had the greatest odds of winning over anyone.

Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                            Wouldn't the best criteria of excellence be the gap between #1 and #2 in the standings? I've always understood that Fischer had the greatest lead of all time. On any given day at his peak he had the greatest odds of winning over anyone.

Can anyone confirm this?
                            Strictly speaking, Morphy would be up there, as well as Steinitz in his early days of domination. But it could obviously be argued that the opposition was quite weak back then.

Fischer's 125 points lead over #2 is indeed impressive, but I'm not sure we should assume the number should be the same nowadays. Maybe a better criterion would be how many standard deviations you are from the top 10 or something like that. Even then, it's harder to dominate when there's more people playing the game at a high level.

Mathieu

Comment

Working...
                            X