CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest -What Is The Future Of Chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest -What Is The Future Of Chess?

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
    Wikipedia :-)
    Encryption doesn't require a computer though. It merely requires the creation of bits of matter in a quantum entangled state.
    Encryption implies decryption too. The "bits of matter in a quantum entangled state" need to be stored somewhere too. How does that work?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest -What Is The Future Of Chess?

How does this all relate to the future of chess?

Comment

At present it's only done by live signals without storage. Data, encrypt, send, receive, decrypt, store. Based on what I just read, it's only a limited aspect of quantum cryptography, good for sending passcodes and knowing whether the code was intercepted, but not for preventing interception.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          How does this all relate to the future of chess?
          About as much as anything else on Chesstalk
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Ken: Maybe a quantum computer could be programmed to simultaneously look at all possible moves and congeal to an optimal line, but
            A) We don't have a computer even remotely powerful enough to examine a chess game
            B) We don't have a good idea how to write that program.
            C) The invention of this computer will cause the collapse of civilization anyway so the question will become moot.

So it's really just a wishy-washy maybe chess could be solved in the future, who knows.
            Last edited by Alan Baljeu; Friday, 26th October, 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest -What Is The Future Of Chess?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              PS. I find quite ironic to see climate change denial posts on a topic about science. Will we also have the chance to see posts about how the world was created 3000 years ago? :)
              There are more than a few scientists who deny climate change, I gather; there are also creation scientists (the two types don't necessarily overlap :)).
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                There are more than a few scientists who deny climate change, I gather; there are also creation scientists (the two types don't necessarily overlap :)).
                The climate has been changing for ever...I rather doubt there are many that deny this! What is in dispute is how significant man's activities are in the current situation..........

Comment

Originally posted by dan hunter View Post
                  The climate has been changing for ever...I rather doubt there are many that deny this! What is in dispute is how significant man's activities are in the current situation..........
                  How literal/picky can one get?

[edit: In case anyone else doesn't know, "climate change" (especially when followed by "denier") is universally understood to connote what Mr. Hunter describes ... that's assuming he's not trolling]
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 27th October, 2012, 03:30 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                    Here's one link, for those curious about (respected?!) creation scientists:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_q...rt_creationism

I know, some might ask, what has this to do with the future of chess? Well, any repectability found for creation science could put a whole different perspective on the future of everything.
                    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 27th October, 2012, 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

This thread needs to be re-titled.

Comment

Fwiw, some Google searching I did a few minutes ago gave me the following impression about the progress of computer programs at mastering various board games (ranked in level of least proficency):

Go (19x19): a computer program exists that's ranked at 6 dan (better than most people, not players ranked 6 dan up to 9 dan professional [highest rank])

Shogi (9x9): computer programs exist at level of low ranked pros

Chinese chess: computer programs exist that give top players serious trouble

Chess: strong computer programs are rated much higher than any human

Checkers (8x8): a solved game
                        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 13th November, 2012, 03:45 PM. Reason: Go rankings correction

Comment

Working...
                        X