Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FIDE arbiter rules in 2013

http://www.susanpolgar.blogspot.ca/2...s-license.html

All arbiters in a FIDE tournament (IA, FA, National Arbiters) must be licensed... otherwise tournament will not be rated.

etc
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: New FIDE arbiter rules in 2013

Should the CFC establish an arbiter/director training program?

Comment

ONLY if it is run/offered by a (more than) competent arbiter.

Calling Mr. Berry.....calling Mr. Jonathan Berry!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

All arbiters in a FIDE tournament (IA, FA, National Arbiters) must be licensed... otherwise tournament will not be rated.

etc
        I take it a license isn't free.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          NA - 20 euro for lifetime if an arbiter is active. (as I recall)
          Check FIDE website

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            It is called FEE-DAY for a reason... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
              Should the CFC establish an arbiter/director training program?
              Hello Alan,
              The CFC have an established arbiter/t.d. program: http://chess.ca/cfc-arbiters
              The National Arbiter (NA) title will be decided by the CFC (not FIDE). Yes, if you pay the license fee for NA, it will be lifetime until you obtain FA or IA then you will pay the difference (I think).
              I think our FIDE representative, Hal Bond, will provide us with more information on this when the time arrives.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks Simon for the link.
                Having read it, I have this question and something that bugs me a little.
                What is TD / Tournament Director? Is this a North American term for... arbiter? organizer? both? something else?
                I thought the only official titles are organizer and arbiter, with distinct roles...
                ... and that "TD" is what we call people who take on both roles because tournaments are often ran by one guy.
                Confused,

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Here is text from FIDE.

(to be included in FIDE Handbook, B.05: Regulations for the titles of Arbiters)

6. Arbiters’ Licence.

6.1 A titled active Arbiter (International Arbiter or FIDE Arbiter) and a National Arbiter working in a FIDE rated tournament shall be charged with a “licence fee”.
                  6.2.1 The licence will be valid for life, on the condition the arbiter remains an active arbiter, and will be in effect from the day after FIDE has received the fee.
                  6.2.2 The licence fee for National Arbiters is valid for life.
                  6.2.3 If a National Arbiter is awarded the title of “FIDE Arbiter” the licence fee for this title has to be paid to FIDE.
                  6.2.4 If an arbiter upgrades his/her category only the difference between the category fee has to be paid to FIDE.
                  6.2.5 If a “FIDE Arbiter” achieves the title of “International Arbiter”, the fee for the new title has to be paid to FIDE.
                  6.3 The licence fee will be:
                  a) for A’ Category Arbiters (only IAs): 300 €
                  b) for B’ Category Arbiters (only IAs): 200 €
                  c) for C’ Category Arbiters: IAs 160 €
                  FAs 120 €
                  d) for D’ Category Arbiters: IAs 100 €
                  FAs 80 €
                  e) for National Arbiters 20 €
                  6.4 Failure to pay the licence fee will lead to exclusion from the FIDE Arbiters’ list.
                  6.5 The Arbiters’ licence will come into effect from 01. 01. 2013.
                  6.6 From 01. 01. 2013 all arbiters of FIDE rated tournaments shall be licensed.
                  6.7.1 An arbiter who has become inactive (see annex 2, articles 1.3 and 1.4) is considered not to be licensed anymore and will be transferred to the list of inactive arbiters.
                  6.7.2 In order to be active again the inactive arbiter has to pay for a new licence, according to 6.3
                  6.8 If the article 6.6 is not fulfilled, the tournaments shall not be rated.
                  6.9 From 01. 01. 2013 the licence fee will be charged together with the application fee for all new awarded arbiter titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                    Hi,

Thanks Simon for the link.
                    Having read it, I have this question and something that bugs me a little.
                    What is TD / Tournament Director? Is this a North American term for... arbiter? organizer? both? something else?
                    I thought the only official titles are organizer and arbiter, with distinct roles...
                    ... and that "TD" is what we call people who take on both roles because tournaments are often ran by one guy.
                    Confused,

Alex Ferreira
                    Alex, Shhhhhhhh!
                    Don't let FIDE hear about Tournament Directors! They will, for sure decide on a registration fee to make it official.
                    FIDE has an unspoken agenda to make national federations redundant. This may be either good or bad , depending on your point of view. Now they are taking over as the only significant ratings body. The next step they will be issuing individual membership/ID cards at say 50 Euros a pop. Who would not want a personal laminated FIDE membership card which you could pop into any ATM and get your up-to-the-minute chess rating? (for a modest fee, of course, which will be automatically deducted from your bank account)
                    Good bye CFC!?

Comment

Re : Re: New FIDE arbiter rules in 2013

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Alex, Shhhhhhhh!
                      Don't let FIDE hear about Tournament Directors! They will, for sure decide on a registration fee to make it official.
                      FIDE has an unspoken agenda to make national federations redundant. This may be either good or bad , depending on your point of view. Now they are taking over as the only significant ratings body. The next step they will be issuing individual membership/ID cards at say 50 Euros a pop. Who would not want a personal laminated FIDE membership card which you could pop into any ATM and get your up-to-the-minute chess rating? (for a modest fee, of course, which will be automatically deducted from your bank account)
                      Good bye CFC!?
                      My point of view exactly. And what is most remarquable is that FIDE is doing it with the CFC's active or/and passive cooperation!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                        FIDE has an unspoken agenda to make national federations redundant. This may be either good or bad , depending on your point of view.
                        I spent some time in Europe (Ireland) and over there, most of the membership fees were paid directly to the chess clubs, which makes sense because these clubs are delivering the services (chess sets, clocks, venue, organization). Of course some money was sent to the national federation for ratings etc.

I don't get this idea that we need more FIDE stuff at the 'local' level. We won't magically get better when we all have a FIDE rating and our federations may end up losing some significant income.

The funny thing is that the CFC-FQE so-called 'agreement' is doing exactly that: taking a fee to deliver a service (CFC rating) that is not useful for 99% of the players in Québec...

Mathieu

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post

The funny thing is that the CFC-FQE so-called 'agreement' is doing exactly that: taking a fee to deliver a service (CFC rating) that is not useful for 99% of the players in Québec...

Mathieu
                          It may be possible to remove the "in Québec..." part of that statement... at least in the eyes of a number of people who apparently question the benefit of a CFC membership.

I believe you are simply highlighting the situation from the point of view of an FQE member - fair enough.

Comment

Re : Re: New FIDE arbiter rules in 2013

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            It may be possible to remove the "in Québec..." part of that statement... at least in the eyes of a number of people who apparently question the benefit of a CFC membership.

I believe you are simply highlighting the situation from the point of view of an FQE member - fair enough.
                            It seems that you dont get the point Kerry. CFC ratings are not useful for FQE members because they already have the FQE rating system. You seem to be arguing that CFC services are not useful to 99% of all players. That is quite different and a statement I do not agree with. One rating system and some sort of publication are the backbones of any national chess federation.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: New FIDE arbiter rules in 2013

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                              One rating system and some sort of publication are the backbones of any national chess federation.
                              Hi Jean:

I guess by this definition, FQE qualifies as a " national chess federation "? Just wondering....

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                              X