Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

I invite you to help choose the 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year by casting your vote! The purpose is to recognize the achievements of a Canadian chess player in 2008; and to gain some publicity for Canadian chess.

For the past 5 years, I have surveyed Canadian Chess journalists to determine the winner of this award. This year, I will again include one extra ballot: the results of your voting. Voting closes Sunday, December 7. The top 3 vote getters will receive 5, 3 and 1 point(s) respectively, the same as the votes by the journalists.

Past winners:

2007 Nikolay Noritsyn
    2006 Kevin Spraggett
    2005 Mark Bluvshtein
    2004 Mark Bluvshtein
    2003 Pascal Charbonneau

The players and their accomplishments for you to consider for your vote for 2008:

Barron, Irina - Toronto Women's Champion; Women's Olympiad: Alternate 5/8.

Bluvshtein, Mark - =3rd place 6.5/9, XXVII Open A Zalakarosi (HUN), 22-30 v 2008 (May); 10/13 1st by 1 point! FSGM June Budapest HUN (HUN), 7-19 vi 2008 (June); =5th, 5/9 Top Canadian, 3rd Edmonton International (Aug); =2nd 5.5/9 Top Canadian 9th TIM Montreal (CAN), 24 viii-2 ix 2008 cat. XIII (2556); Corus Internet Qualifier ICC 1-9 xi: 0.5/2 in 1/4 final. Olympiad: Board 1 5/9.

Charbonneau, Pascal - 2nd place, Marshall Chess Club Championship, New York, USA (February); =9th/120, 10th Foxwoods Open Ledyard, CT, USA (March) 6/9; Olympiad: Board 2 6/9.

Cote, Jocelyn - Canadian Correspondence Champion (tied).

Gerzhoy, Leonid =5th, 5/9 Top Canadian, 3rd Edmonton International (Aug); =2nd 7/9 Jessie Gilbert Celebration Int Coulsdon (ENG), 16-25 viii 2008; =1st Toronto Thanksgiving Open (Oct.).

Hansen, Eric - World Open 5/9 IM Norm, 2008.6.30-7.06; World Youth Ch U-16 =2nd 8/11 (Oct). Qualified FM title by 2300+ rating.

Hynes, Wayne - Canadian Correspondence Champion (tied)(3rd year in a row).

Kagramanov, Dina - Women's Olympiad: Board 3 5.5/9.

Knox, Christopher - Grade 5 Champion (5th year in a row winning National Scholastic Championship for his grade!).

Kovalyov, Anton - 7.5/10 =5th/204, XXI Open Internacional de Ajedrez Villa de Benidorm, Spain 2008 (April/May), 3rd and final GM Norm; 6/9 =2nd Top Canadian at Canadian Open (July).

Noritsyn, Nikolay - 9/9 1st 2008 Toronto Closed (Winter). Olympiad: Alternate 6/8.

Orlova, Yelizaveta - 5/9 in CAN Jr Ch, Canadian Junior Girl Champion, Toronto (May); World Youth Ch U-14 Girls =9th 7/11 (Oct).

Panjwani, Raja - 5/9, 9th North American Inv Chicago (USA) cat. III RR, =4th (March); =5th, 5/9 Top Canadian, 3rd Edmonton International (Aug), IM Norm.

Roussel-Roozmon, Thomas - 5/9, =3rd, RR Cat XII, 6th international Nancy Festival, France (February); 8/13 =1st RR cat. VIII Budapest, Hungary (March); Victor Ciocaltea mem Bucharest (ROM) cat. IX RR, 6/11 =4th; Olympiad: Board 4 6/8.

Samsonkin, Artem - 7.5/9, 1st, 2008 Canadian Junior Championship, Toronto, May.

Spraggett, Kevin - 7/9, =2nd/232, 33rd International Open, Seville, Spain (January); 6.5/9 =2nd/89 Metz Open, Metz, France (April); BDO Premier Haarlem (NED), 9-17 viii 2008 cat. VIII (2447) 2nd 6.5/9 RR.

Thavandiran, Shiyam - 1st 5/6, Labour Day Open, Toronto (Sept.); =1st Toronto Thanksgiving Open (Oct.); 1st UMBRA Olympiad Fundraiser Blitz (Nov.).

Wang, Kelly - World Youth Ch U-8 Girls =3rd 8/11 (Oct).

Yuan, Yuanling - 6.5/9 2nd, WIM Norm, Pan-American Women's Championship, San Salvador, El Salvador (May); 4/9 =7th, WIM Norm, 12th North American FIDE Inv Chicago (USA), 21-27 vi 2008, cat. III (June); Women's Olympiad: Board 2 6.5/10.

Zugic, Igor - Olympiad: Board 3 7/10.

Thanks for your contribution to this effort!

Regards,

David

David Cohen, MPPM, IA
    bw998@freenet.carleton.ca

My Canadian Chess homepage:
    http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bw998/canchess.html

Canadian Chess Player of the Year
    http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bw998/Champions.html#PLAYER

Vote here:
    http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bw998/ChessPolls.html

Re: Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

What determines if a player is "Canadian"? Citizenship? Are all the listed players Canadian citizens?

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
      I have surveyed Canadian Chess journalists
      I would like to know more about "Canadian Chess journalists". May you list them?

Comment

This year Eric Hansen also became the youngest player to win the AB Championship (15) with 4/5. He also won the AB Open championship with 4/5. I think that considering all of his accomplishments he deserves to be Canadian player of the year!

Comment

All things considered I think Shiyam had a stronger year then Eric. I've no idea how the voters will see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            All things considered I think Shiyam had a stronger year then Eric. I've no idea how the voters will see it.
            Are you joking Duncan? I'm not taking anything away from Shiyam's accomplishments, but Eric has made incredible progress. He gained 230 FIDE points in a year. You are obviously biased against players from outside of Ontario. You post positive things about Ontario chess players, but nothing good about others.
            Last edited by Keith MacKinnon; Tuesday, 25th November, 2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

On the other hand, it IS a "Best Player" rather than "Most Improved" award... Perhaps there also should be one of those?
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                On the other hand, it IS a "Best Player" rather than "Most Improved" award... Perhaps there also should be one of those?
                The title is: "player of the year", so I am not sure it specifically means best player. Also, this year its not so easy to determine who was the best player, and I certainly don't think that this should be given to whoever possesses the highest rating. I think that Eric's performances and accomplishments this year rival anyone in Canada and his improvement puts him over the top IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                  The title is: "player of the year", so I am not sure it specifically means best player. Also, this year its not so easy to determine who was the best player, and I certainly don't think that this should be given to whoever possesses the highest rating. I think that Eric's performances and accomplishments this year rival anyone in Canada and his improvement puts him over the top IMHO.
                  I agree with Vlad, it is "player of the year" and people may interpret this in a number of ways. If it was best player, they would only list one or two players, wouldn't they?

The way I voted was like this. Looked at all the candidates, and voted for the person who I felt has accomplished the most in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                    It's not a "best player" award. If it were, Spraggett would win every year.
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

You should make people email you their votes. It's very easy to manipulate a Pollhost poll. In fact, if the correct person isn't winning as the deadline approaches, I probably will manipulate it...
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Hypothetically if Kelly Wang had won a gold medal at WYCC the voting would be even more interesting. That is kind of my point though. As good as Eric's fourth place was at WYCC it wasn't a medal, and Shiyam did dominate the very same category in Canada with Eric in the field.

The whole thing's pretty arbitrary but "are you joking?" is not an appropriate analysis of the situation.

Comment

Hypothetically if Kelly Wang had won a gold medal at WYCC the voting would be even more interesting. That is kind of my point though. As good as Eric's fourth place was at WYCC it wasn't a medal, and Shiyam did dominate the very same category in Canada with Eric in the field.

The whole thing's pretty arbitrary but "are you joking?" is not an appropriate analysis of the situation.
                          Then you should have posted this under Keith's post :)

Comment

Duncan, this time you must be joking? Only a fool would compare a top CYCC performance and rank it higher than a top WYCC performance.

Comment

I've been to both events several times I don't think discounting the CYCC win is fair in this case.
                              Shiyam, Eric, and Lloyd all played this year at CYCC, so scoring 7/7 is extremely impressive.

People will vote how they feel the whole things pretty arbitrary.
                              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 26th November, 2008, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X