Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

One doesn't have to vote many times to manipulate the vote. In fact, David himself writes:

"Now consider the fan poll which I introduced. The first year, there were 117 votes. Is a mainstream news editor going to publish a news release that is of interest to a few hundred people? No. So far this year, there are over 400 votes. Better. What I'd like is for each nominee to ask their friends to vote for them. I'd like Bob to email everyone at the CFC and ask them to vote. **** I'd like Larry to put a notice on CMA's web site asking all kids to vote. There's thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of kids across Canada who play chess. I'd like a large number of voters. **** [Tom O: asterisks mine] I'd like to show the editors that people in Canada play chess! Only then are we going to get media coverage. And only then are we going to get sponsorship."

Now, setting aside how foolish it is to have people who really might recognize at most only one or two names on the list to vote, it is obvious that manipulation would occur if someone, for example, gave the url of where to cast the votes and asked the readers of some popular website (probably not a chess website ;-)) to vote for X. It makes the votes of those like Lawrence who cast their vote carefully totally meaningless.

Incidentally, this argument that the NBA or NFL or NHL have such votes is completely off the point. The elite of these sports make millions, even tens of millions, annually. Part of their job is to put up with crap like this. Instead we get people in FIDE and the CFC wanting to put in all these professional codes of conduct without any sort of professional compensation. Rather one-sided, to say the least.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I am just wondering why are do you say that people criticising players here? I didn't see any posts criticising anyone. We did compare results but just because I think that Eric Hansen's results were superior to those of Shiyam or anyone else in Canada this year, doesn't mean that I don't respect their achievements!
      As a whole I consider this to be just a fun vote that doesn't really mean anything anyway, so lets not get carried away over this guys!

Comment

I agree I actually think if we are to be objective here comparing Eric and Shiyam can only lead to an inconclusive decision. No Canadian Closed to break the "tie". There are 2 or 3 other good candidates so anyone could win.
        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 2nd December, 2008, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          You said it right here Ben:

In fact, if the correct person isn't winning as the deadline approaches, I probably will manipulate it...
          I never said I would vote more than once. I said I would manipulate the poll.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Your intent was clear, Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
              I am just wondering why are do you say that people criticising players here? I didn't see any posts criticising anyone. We did compare results but just because I think that Eric Hansen's results were superior to those of Shiyam or anyone else in Canada this year, doesn't mean that I don't respect their achievements!
              As a whole I consider this to be just a fun vote that doesn't really mean anything anyway, so lets not get carried away over this guys!
              It wouldn't be chesstalk if people didn't get carried away with things.

Comment

I agree =)
                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Jordan don't be so soft you lilly-livered rose petal. Sleeping too much under silk sheets? You should be familiar with kicks in the gut like the one you gave me for slandering me at my squash club after I helped point you there when you were looking to play in a novice event. "I'm sure your intentions were good" but 'I didn't mean to offend you' isn't a defence to creating that toxic situation you made for me. Over time I was able to erase the tarnished image you portrayed of me and now I'm the Captain of one of our singles teams and help coach the juniors on the weekend but only after having to get past a review by the board. So let people have their say about this poll you hypocrite.

Comment

I will not make any attempt to manipulate the results of the poll.

That being said, I still strongly endorse moving to an email vote. I have heard rumblings of others' attempts to manipulate the results. I would not be surprised if they were waiting until shortly before the deadline.
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

At what time on December 7 does voting close?

Comment

Obviously we have to give you some credit not only did you tell everyone you would manipulate the results ahead of time you took control and made it happen. Not that it's a good thing.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 6th December, 2008, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                          Obviously we have to give you some credit not only did you tell everyone you would manipulate the results ahead of time you took control and made it happen. Not that it's a good thing.
                          What the hell are you yabbering about? Not only have I stated that I WILL NOT MANIPULATE THE RESULTS, but clearly no one has manipulated them (yet).

Comment

Calm down bindi#$@$# holy crap#$@$#$#

Comment

LOL the polls are being manipulated right now. Look at Eric's and Shiyam's votes... Both of them got like boosts out of nowhere and I'm pretty sure they didn't manipulate it themselves =D I am calm Lucas - are you calm?
                              Shameless self-promotion on display here
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

The poll is not being manipulated. If it is, it's amateurs at work. A manipulated poll will receive thousands of votes for the same person in the span of a few minutes.

It looks to me like people just rallied their friends to vote. Friends who probably don't play chess. That's what Cohen wanted. It's idiotic, but it's what he wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X