Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

Renier Castellanos Rodriguez, who has made his home in Montreal for 3+ years now, recently achieved his 3rd and final GM norm and is now a bona fide GM.

"During the International Livigno Chess Open three players have also got a norm. Samuel Franklin (England) earned the IM norm, while Satyapragyan Swayang as well as Renier Castellanos Rodriguez each claimed the GM norm. Thanks to this, Castellanos Rodriguez now has reached the full title of Grand Master."

Re: Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

That's excellent news for Montreal and Canadian chess!!!!
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
      That's excellent news for Montreal and Canadian chess!!!!

Renier does not represent Canada nor does he live here anymore. Just saying
      Last edited by Eric Hansen; Tuesday, 30th October, 2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
        Renier does not represent Canada nor does he live here anymore. Just saying
        He lived in Montreal for several years and had to leave to Spain for personal reasons. Last time we had news from him, he told us that he would probably come back in Montreal, since his wife(?) is still here...

This might not be completely up-to-date though.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

Is Renier a Canadian permanent resident, like Wesley So?

Bob

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Renier Castellanos Rodriguez

Does anyone know why Renier still doesn't have his GM titile? It was reported in the fall of 2012 at several sites, including Spraggett's, that Renier was now a GM but FIDE still shows only the IM tittle. He evidently secured the requisite 3 GM norms and his rating was over 2500 for 16 months so why no title? I can only surmise that the application was never submitted ):

Incidentally, Renier escaped with a very lucky draw today in Spain. Stockfish had him down 11 pawns after just 23 moves (since he should have lost his Queen) but his opponent missed a rather basic tactic. I can't be too critical however, since I was up the proverbial 1,000 pawns in my last game at the ACC against Bill Evans after just 12 moves and missed a very simple mate in 5. Adding insult to injury, I even managed to ultimately lose the game ):

Comment

"a very simple mate in 5"

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
              Does anyone know why Renier still doesn't have his GM titile? It was reported in the fall of 2012 at several sites, including Spraggett's, that Renier was now a GM but FIDE still shows only the IM tittle. He evidently secured the requisite 3 GM norms and his rating was over 2500 for 16 months so why no title? I can only surmise that the application was never submitted ):

Incidentally, Renier escaped with a very lucky draw today in Spain. Stockfish had him down 11 pawns after just 23 moves (since he should have lost his Queen) but his opponent missed a rather basic tactic. I can't be too critical however, since I was up the proverbial 1,000 pawns in my last game at the ACC against Bill Evans after just 12 moves and missed a very simple mate in 5. Adding insult to injury, I even managed to ultimately lose the game ):
              Here's the position after 12 moves - Black has just played 11..b7-b5, unaware of the danger:

Jack, also deserving attention was the Queen maneuver 11.Qf4 and 12.Qh2, keeping flexibility in your kingside pawn structure, rather than 11.f3 and 12.g4. It would also have saved a tempo in getting your Queen to h2!

Comment

Re: "a very simple mate in 5"

My Houdini (the free 1.5 edition) gives 11.f3 (chasing the Bishop all the way back home) and 11.Qf4 as equally good, Hugh, both plus 1.24. Pushing kingside pawns is rather a common theme in 'The 150 Attack' which is my wont choice against the 'Pirc'. The problem, of course, was my 13th move, Qh2?? which deserves 999 ?'s since it dropped my advantage from plus 1,000 to plus 0.29 ):
                Last edited by Jack Maguire; Saturday, 6th September, 2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Re: "a very simple mate in 5"

If ChessBomb has the game scored correctly, GM Wei Yi (2646), also missed Rh8+ today in Pune at the WJCC 2014 on his 18th move. At least I may be in good company now (:

Wei Yi's advantage went from +11.08 to 0.00 after leading with his Queen with 18.Qh6?? and 19.Qg7+??. Again, if the game is scored correctly, Wei Yi was soon dead lost after a 3rd egregious blunder, 25.Qxg6??. Stockfish now had the game at -6.48. Fortunately for Wei Yi, it's not the number of blunders but the final blunder which is usually fatal and that belonged to Wei Yi's opponent, Al Muthaiah (2215) as Wei Yi managed to escape with the full point. I'm not sure Caissa would be smiling however (:

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...Yi-Muthaiah_AL

Comment

Working...
                  X