Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Evil Days Ahead: End of the Rubinstein Rule

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    All of the above are jobs. If the chessplayer is being paid, then asking them to show up on time to collect their paycheque is reasonable. If they aren't, then it is not.
    Thus I think, that this rule must be written in Tournament Regulations but not Laws of Chess.

Comment

Chess does expect its players to arrive on time, and it has a built-in, automatic, self-administering, gradual penalty, that your clock is started. Chess is lucky to have that.

People in jobs (like my wife's physician, for example) are often late, and they apologize. What does that have to do with a zero-minute forfeit rule? Nothing.

Still, nobody has contradicted what I found to be a fatal flaw of the zero-minute rule. It facilitates cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Thus I think, that this rule must be written in Tournament Regulations but not Laws of Chess.
        Yes, perfect, you are an insightful man, Egis. The CFC should treasure your counsel.

The Rubinstein Rule, which has served us well for decades, should stay. If particular events need more stringent rules, let them. I'm not at all convinced that the Chess Olympics needed the zero forfeit rule, but that's not the subject of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          Still, nobody has contradicted what I found to be a fatal flaw of the zero-minute rule. It facilitates cheating.
          I really do not understand this point. The same may happen with one hour as well.

What will be penalty for organizers not starting on time? :D

Comment

Cheating is possible, yes, in both cases, but the zero forfeit gives extra opportunities. I gave examples.

The penalty for organizers not starting on time will be the same as the penalty for a dentist being late for a patient's appointment.

Comment

Re: Just defending our historical perquisites

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
              I think what bothers me the most about all this is that this rule change seems to have been dreamed up by certain officials without much consultation or request for feedback. During all my playing years the one hour "Rubinstein" rule was in effect. It was never pleasant having to wait those 60 minutes, unsure if my opponent would show up, but they nearly always did. Same rule applied to me, and it was nice to know that I could sometimes come a few minutes late and not suffer except on the clock. FIDE has been making a lot of these unilateral changes (recall the dress code--whatever happened to that?), and it's high time they took some stick. You may wish to compare chess to golf, but it's a poor comparison. If chess ever treats its elite players as well as golf does, then perhaps chessplayers may be willing to make some concessions.
              An excellent post Gordon! I agree entirely.

Alex
              OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
              http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Palestine versus the Chess Soupists

My German is less than rudimentary, but this blog item

http://schiridresden.blogspot.com/20...lgien-und.html

Am Brett 1 von Tisch 43 ist GM Ermenkov um 10 Uhr nicht am Brett, obwohl er sich im Turniersaal befindet. Er sitzt erst 20 sec. später am Brett. Der Matcharbiter nullt ihn daraufhin. Nach Protest von Palästina entscheidet dann unser Sektorarbiter und der Deputy-Chiefarbiter das die Partie trotzdem gespielt wird. Daraufhin protestiert Jamaika und nach einer Stunde Spielzeit entscheidet Hauptschiedsrichter I. Leong das die Partie kampflos verloren ist.

seems to indicate that in the Olympiad last round, a player was in the tournament hall when the round started, arrived at the board 20 seconds after the start of the round and was forfeited, despite the protests of the Ja People. Ja?

Comment

Re: Palestine versus the Chess Soupists

Ja?
                  Ja :)

Another similar incident is written at
                  http://www.nw-news.de/nw/sport/lokal...d/?cnt=2709321

"Ein Spieler saß schon am Brett und hatte sein Partieformular ausgefüllt, dann holte er sich noch schnell einen Kaffee. Als er nach eineinhalb Minuten ans Brett trat, um den ersten Zug zu machen, war die Partie schon verloren."
                  The player went for a cup of coffee and after returning found he was lost.

Comment

seems to indicate that in the Olympiad last round, a player was in the tournament hall when the round started, arrived at the board 20 seconds after the start of the round and was forfeited, despite the protests of the Ja People. Ja?
                    What do you think will happen next Olympiad? That the nation won't participate as a result, that the players will ensure they arrive at the board on time, or that they will choose a player who can arrive at the board on time?

Have you never claimed a game in correspondence chess on time? Your opponent was late in sending his replies?

Gary Ruben IA-C
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary,

I've both won and lost both OTB and CC games on time. There are time limits because otherwise players could take forever on their moves. There is a time limit on arriving at the board, and it has served us well for decades. There is also a continuously-adjusting, self-administering penalty for arriving late at the board. Your type of argument would support capital punishment for jaywalking. You know it is a vacuous argument, but you persist because ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Enjoy!

Oh yeah. My answer: D: none of the above. FIDE will remove this unnecessary, overly severe and draconian rule. If I have to choose from among your rhetorical choices, I'll go for A: the king isn't wearing clothes.

Comment

Gary,

I've both won and lost both OTB and CC games on time. There are time limits because otherwise players could take forever on their moves. There is a time limit on arriving at the board, and it has served us well for decades. There is also a continuously-adjusting, self-administering penalty for arriving late at the board. Your type of argument would support capital punishment for jaywalking. You know it is a vacuous argument, but you persist because ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Enjoy!

Oh yeah. My answer: D: none of the above. FIDE will remove this unnecessary, overly severe and draconian rule. If I have to choose from among your rhetorical choices, I'll go for A: the king isn't wearing clothes.
                        Jonathan,

Because I don't agree with you on time is no reason to call me a troll. Not that you are hurting my feelings. :)

Where I worked, showing up late a few time a month brought an unpaid vacation. Repeats after that, longer unpaid vacations and then termination of employment.

My arguments for capital punishment, which I make no secret about supporting for certain crimes, are a different topic.

When someone is habitually late arriving, it's called Jewish Time. (No offence meant to anyone here.) You like the idea of someone being 59 minutes late and still being on time and I can see where FIDE has a point in wanting to put a stop to it. My seeing the point is not trolling.

Regarding a comment earlier about a doctor being habiitually late, continuing to visit such a doctor is a good way for a person to get the designation "late" before their own name.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Offense taken, Gary. 8^)) We call it Anglican time.

Comment

I think 60 mins is too long to wait for somebody, but 0 is absurdly short. There are myriad reasons for being slightly late, from a flat tire, to a broken pencil, to having a discussion with some officials. Any number less than 15 minutes really shouldn't be allowed for a slow game.

Having said that, I can think of 2 reasons they want to eliminate tardiness:
                            1) Noise from a whole lot of tardy players
                            2) Cheating as in a late player studying a friend's position (broadcast offsite) and then bringing analysis into the playing area.

I agree that skipping a game should have a ratings penalty.

Comment

In response to somebody who could not see how Zero Forfeits enhance the opportunities for cheating, I posted a couple of detailed examples here:

http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/...lympiad-r1.htm

It's at the end of that blog entry. It'll probably be near the end, whenever you eventually read it!

Comment

Jonathan,

Aside from cheating there will arise opportunities for baksheesh. Consider that the Mongolian ladies did not forfeit to Ukraine for being three minutes late ("Have a heart," the arbiter was quoted) while Gabon was forfeited for less. Arbiter's discretion invites, uh, gratuities.

I heard the Arbiters were issued tasers. Is that right? It sounds preposterous!

Comment

Working...
                                X