Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chessatorium

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    I don't know what they are trying to do. Possibly in their view the problem has gotten out of hand and they want to put a stop to it. Why should someone pay a lot of money to enter an event and then sit and wait an hour to have to win on time?

Players get very upset when they lose on time in correspondence chess. I had one player write after I forfeited him and remind me one day he would be getting out of jail. I hope he never gets out.
    Gary, will the rule "to be connected to the server exactly at the tournament start" increase the participation? (worldwide)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Gary, will the rule "to be connected to the server exactly at the tournament start" increase the participation? (worldwide)
      The rules are written into the server. When time limits are exceeded both players and the TD receive an email notice. When two weeks have passed without a move a player gets a reminder that amount of time has passed. When a player has exceeded his total time I don't think the server accepts a move from him. Some of these is only what I heard because in the events I play the participants have not been allowing their time to lapse. None of the players wants to lose a national team game by time forfeit.

If this increases participation, I don't know.

I do know when there were not many teams for the North Atlantic Team Tournament, I wrote a friend and asked him why there was no team from his country. His nation very quickly formed one. He and I are playing a very interesting Sicilian Dragon.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Part of the problem with rules such as the recent FIDE folly (absolute requirement for being on-time for a game) is that chess doesn't really have any process for partial penalties - what penalty can be assessed other than forfeit?
        Ignoring the troll bait ( Did I catch paranoia from playing over a Bobby Fischer game in my youth ... or are you real good friends with Gary?), your post set off a bit of free association. Guillotine is the penalty they'd like to apply, but since Capital Punishment isn't on (unless you work for Wal-Mart), maybe the penalty for being late should be that, for those players only, the next Olympiad will take place in Belfort, France. Hey Duncan? And let's call it the Belfort Rule, because every time that term is used, you'd have to explain that Belfort was the site of the worst ever WYCC and that the organizers still owe major money to attendees, and that FIDE (and the CFC, if you like) isn't doing anything about it. Bringing the whole rotten mess back onto the agenda. Maybe FIDE would then deal with one of the rotten messes.

Comment

Egis,

Though Gary is capable of subtlety himself, he sometimes pretends not to notice when somebody else is being subtle.

Gary,

You have my permission to prove that you were just pretending not to understand what Egis wrote. It would be useless to pretend otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            Egis,

Gary,

You have my permission to prove that you were just pretending not to understand what Egis wrote. It would be useless to pretend otherwise.
            Jonathan,

I can't really give a proper reply to Egis and don't really want to speculate.

Rather than "wing it" and pretend to know, I tried to explain to the best of my knowledge how time is enforced on the ICCF server. When a person asks a question, "I don't know" is a legitimate response. I assume he was talking about the ICCF server. As you know, the server sends out an assignment to the players. If someone is playing 40 to 50 games, it would not be possible to be logged into each one at the same time short of some kind of super system.

I recall one night, or should I say around 3 AM one morning, myself and an opponent in Europe played off around a dozen moves in 45 minutes by email.

By the way, to answer your other question, Kerry and I have always got along. We were both at the Scarborough Chess Club at the same time.

I do hope you aren't getting upset. You're supposed to be having fun. Are you having fun yet? :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Egis, I guess the answer has to be that it is unthinkable for CC to have a rule analagous to FIDE's Zero Forfeit, the Belfort Rule.

Gary, I saw some ways that Parliament in Ottawa is like the CFC. But I kept that fun to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                Egis, I guess the answer has to be that it is unthinkable for CC to have a rule analagous to FIDE's Zero Forfeit, the Belfort Rule.

Gary, I saw some ways that Parliament in Ottawa is like the CFC. But I kept that fun to myself.
                Correspondence had its own set of challenges. If a person has one day to reply to a move in postal, some send a registered move each time to try to push him over the limit. I recall one guy lived in residence and someone would sign when the mail came but he told me he often didn't get the move until days later. He got pushed into a time loss in that game. The rules are the rules and I had no way of knowing if he was telling the truth. The server is different.

Regarding Parliament and the CFC, you can only be referring to the relationship between the two and Quebec. The CCCA never had the problems the CFC has experienced over the decades. I know I've always had the deepest respect for Quebec and Quebecers and hopefully the members realized that from what I did and what I wrote in the magazine.

I would never suggest the legitimate representatives (MP's) of Quebec didn't have a right to a part in the government of the nation as the Conservative government has been doing. A part in that coalition is a part in the government. It's interesting Harper would make the arguments he is making after giving Quebec a Nation Status. He wants it both ways.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X