Twitter and Facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter and Facebook?

I know the CFC, the FQE and other chess sites are doing this social media thing. Can anyone tell me how popular this is? We are presently in the process of revamping our ancient Chess'n Math site and obviously everyone wants me to get onside with these things...before taking the leap...would like to get your feedback!

Thanks,

Larry

Re: Twitter and Facebook?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I know the CFC, the FQE and other chess sites are doing this social media thing. Can anyone tell me how popular this is?
    T&F popularity are inversely proportion to a person's age. Look at yourself - while you are asking questions, your kids just hang there.

If you'll post chess comics, you should get an international fame :D

Comment

Re : Twitter and Facebook?

I know the CFC, the FQE and other chess sites are doing this social media thing. Can anyone tell me how popular this is? We are presently in the process of revamping our ancient Chess'n Math site and obviously everyone wants me to get onside with these things...before taking the leap...would like to get your feedback!

Thanks,

Larry
      I'd stay it's relatively popular, although many chess players do not have Facebook or Twitter. However, it is quite popular among young players, so I guess it could be good for CMA.

Comment

Thanks,

Larry
        Thanks Guys!

Can anyone give me an example of a kid chess site that has been successful with social media?

Larry

Comment

Re : Twitter and Facebook?

The advantage of Facebook and Twitter is advertising that reaches more people. Thus, new articles on your website (or better yet your blog) receive special attention as you link to them on FB ou T.

This is useful, indeed, for users who do not use RSS agregator.
          As for me, I do NOT subscribe to FB pages or tweets from any company, because it is not on these networks they create interesting content. I prefer to subscribe to their RSS web's or blog's feed.

PS. Please excuse my poor english.

Comment

I can't imagine a serious Internet presence without Facebook+blog and I exclude Twitter only as I have not figured it out yet.

I like the Blogger site for helping blogs get going and they do a great job with giving blog traffic data. Breakdowns go right down to individual blog pages, and detail all kinds of useful information for tailoring future posts to reach target audience.

The Budapest Chess News Blog is less than a month old but is far more sucessful than the previous delivery method of monthly PDF and CBV files for download. Now I can deliver content daily(or even more frequently).

I find the originating country breakdown very useful. Now I tailor my content to include far more local player news. Previously I had thought most of my audience was foreign and in North America.

Blog traffic
            Entry Pageviews
            Hungary 686
            United States 364
            Canada 236
            Russia 70
            Kuwait 66
            Germany 26
            Israel 20
            France 17
            Ireland 13
            Philippines 12

So as far I am concerned Blog+FB is the absolute minimum for Internet presence.

There's also a hidden set of hurdles to cross for increasing popularity of a blog.

1. Must have fresh content-minimum daily to draw a regular return set of viewers
            2.Must be linked to and publicized by a much higher profile site(in my case Spraggett's blog)
            3.The high profile site must in turn be picked up by a big news aggregator(the Chesscafe News Links).

There's more in the food chain I'm sure but its all new to me right now as I'm feeling my way around by trial and error.

Comment

Not really clear what you're asking here - obviously facebook and twitter are extremely popular, and as many have said already, even moreso the younger you are. I'm an avid user of both (why does saying that feel like an admission of something I should be ashamed of?).

However, how much use they are is highly correlated to how much effort you put into maintaining them - there's little value in just putting one up and hoping it somehow magically translates into increased traffic for your organization. You have to provide content for them, and most importantly, be putting things on them that convince people to share them. For example:

1) You post tournament results. This is an ok way to use Twitter/FB, but no more effective than just having a regular web page. You are providing content that people might read, the end.

2) You post contests/polls/questionnaires/whatever - in all of these, you absolutely must incorporate some sort of "share this to your followers" into the post. The whole idea of social media is not to just connect to your customers - it is to connect to your customers and everyone they know, essentially finding a way to give incentives for creation of word of mouth.

Good luck, it's tricky stuff. Lots of companies worldwide these days are trying to use it, and it can sometimes be very "lightning in a bottle" as to whether or not you actually achieve anything other than paying someone to surf the web.

Comment

Working...
              X