Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongest Chess Engines?

I am not well read on chess engines.

Can anyone tell me which free engine is the strongest and which commercial engine is the strongest? Ratings?

Thanks!

Re: Strongest Chess Engines?

Just get Houdini 1.5. It's free and awesome.
    Houdini 3.0 is probably the strongest commercial chess engine. Chessbase's crap can't compete.
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      I am not well read on chess engines.

Can anyone tell me which free engine is the strongest and which commercial engine is the strongest? Ratings?

Thanks!
      As I understand the answer is Houdini to your both questions :D
      Ver 3 - a new commercial
      ver 1.6 (sic) - a free

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        As I understand the answer is Houdini to your both questions :D
        Ver 3 - a new commercial
        ver 1.6 (sic) - a free
        Thanks to both of you!

Comment

If you want some good fun, try the real, original thing from the good old days, when geniuses were walking the earth : the one and only Turing chess engine!!

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8283

But yeah, Houdini is quite the deal.

Mathieu

Comment

Houdini is clearly strongest, but Stockfish is excellent (2nd or 3rd on most lists) and free and (unlike Houdini) it has compiles for all platforms:
            Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, or iPhone.

http://stockfishchess.org/

Comment

In the November 2012 issue of CHESS magazine there is a review of Hiarcs Chess Explorer. In it there is this paragraph:

Deep HIARCS 14 won the World Championship at the end of last year, clinching the title with a brilliant last round win against DEEP SHREDDER. HIARCS 14 is much stronger than the earlier version 13 was by about 100 elo in fact, but strength isn’t the only important thing about HIARCS engines over the years. It is often said that HIARCS is “the most humanlike chess engine available”, and I agree. I read on the Internet a suggestion that this expression was just “an advertising soundbite”, but I’d go along with Kasparov’s view that “HIARCS is much better positionally than DEEP BLUE”. Current World Champion Vishy Anand confirmed that he used HIARCS to prepare for his victorious World Championship Match in 2010 against Topalov and very recently after beating Boris Gelfand to retain his title, he said in an interview that “generally I use HIARCS”.

Eric Hallsworth is the reviewer and also worked on the HIARCS program for years so he is probably somewhat biased.

I use Chess Explorer because it is brand new and runs on my Mac (and OS 10.6). I think it cost me about $80.

HIARCS has just announced DEEP JUNIOR 13.3 for the Mac and said that DEEP JUNIOR won the World MicroComputer Chess Championship last year. Wikipedia confirms that. There is no conflict in the titles because HIARCS apparently won the software title. The rules for the World Chess Software Championship state that competing programs must run on machines with identical hardware specifications.

Both HIARCS and DEEP JUNIOR have PC Windows versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                In the November 2012 issue of CHESS magazine there is a review of Hiarcs Chess Explorer. In it there is this paragraph:

Deep HIARCS 14 won the World Championship at the end of last year, clinching the title with a brilliant last round win against DEEP SHREDDER. HIARCS 14 is much stronger than the earlier version 13 was by about 100 elo in fact, but strength isn’t the only important thing about HIARCS engines over the years. It is often said that HIARCS is “the most humanlike chess engine available”, and I agree. I read on the Internet a suggestion that this expression was just “an advertising soundbite”, but I’d go along with Kasparov’s view that “HIARCS is much better positionally than DEEP BLUE”. Current World Champion Vishy Anand confirmed that he used HIARCS to prepare for his victorious World Championship Match in 2010 against Topalov and very recently after beating Boris Gelfand to retain his title, he said in an interview that “generally I use HIARCS”.

Eric Hallsworth is the reviewer and also worked on the HIARCS program for years so he is probably somewhat biased.

I use Chess Explorer because it is brand new and runs on my Mac (and OS 10.6). I think it cost me about $80.

HIARCS has just announced DEEP JUNIOR 13.3 for the Mac and said that DEEP JUNIOR won the World MicroComputer Chess Championship last year. Wikipedia confirms that. There is no conflict in the titles because HIARCS apparently won the software title. The rules for the World Chess Software Championship state that competing programs must run on machines with identical hardware specifications.

Both HIARCS and DEEP JUNIOR have PC Windows versions.
                I run the free Houdini within Hirarcs multi-thread for my quad-core computer and it finds lines much faster than Fritz, such as mate in 24 in a couple of seconds, but computers still don't solve all positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  I run the free Houdini within Hirarcs multi-thread for my quad-core computer and it finds lines much faster than Fritz, such as mate in 24 in a couple of seconds, but computers still don't solve all positions.
                  And they can not play like humans, 1800 2000 2200 etc

Comment

According to CCRL, Critter 1.6a 64-bit is the strongest *free* engine.

Comment

And they can not play like humans, 1800 2000 2200 etc

Hiarcs and Deep Junior have advertised playing strengths from beginner (1250 Elo) up to World Champion (3200+). The latter seems an exaggeration and leads me to wonder what the practical strengths of these engines are at their top level. Are some virtually unbeatable to the club player at standard playing times?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                        According to CCRL, Critter 1.6a 64-bit is the strongest *free* engine.
                        CCRL only tests the latest version of any engine, so Houdini 1.5 is not included despite being free rather than pay.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Houdine 3 is by far the strongest on the market today but it costs a few $$.
                          Houdinie 1.5 is free and very nearly as strong. Stockfish2.22 is just as strong, especially when it comes to endings. Stockfish also has a superb free app for the iPad, by far the best in that world.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                            CCRL only tests the latest version of any engine, so Houdini 1.5 is not included despite being free rather than pay.
                            Here is a link to the complete list: http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl..._list_all.html

Critter is not the strongest free engine after all. That honour goes to Houdini 1.5a. Even on a single CPU it outperforms most other engines!
                            Last edited by Dan Scoones; Sunday, 4th November, 2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                              Houdine 3 is by far the strongest on the market today but it costs a few $$.
                              Houdinie 1.5 is free and very nearly as strong. Stockfish2.22 is just as strong, especially when it comes to endings. Stockfish also has a superb free app for the iPad, by far the best in that world.
                              The mobile version of Shredder is great too. I like it because it will play without a clock, which gives us humans a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X