• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian GM's List?

Yanofsky became a GM in 1964, not 1954.

Comment

I consider a GM " Canadian " only if they are a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident. It is not enough to be here as a refugee claimant, a visitor, on a work permit, etc..

Bob A

Comment

Hi Stephen:

Thx. Had looked at the CFC Website - getting old - eyes can't distinguish between a " 6 " and a " 5 "!!

Bob

Comment

How about the Chinese WGM (and husband?) who were (are?) living on Montreal, and teaching chess to Chinese kids?

Maybe Larry might know the name(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            How about the Chinese WGM (and husband?) who were (are?) living on Montreal, and teaching chess to Chinese kids?

Maybe Larry might know the name(s).
            http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1455
            "Grandmaster Xiaomin Peng (FIDE - 2588) and WGM Kanying Qin (FIDE 2466) from China moved to Montreal on May 14, 2009."

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              I consider a GM
              Bob, this thread outgrew you :D

Comment

Hi Egis:

I believe Kosashvili was on a work permit ( think he was interning at a hospital) and Sofia was a visitor ( or somehow attached to the work permit ).

Marshall was born in New York City on August 10, 1877, and lived in Montreal, Canada from ages 8 to 19. He began playing chess at the age of 10 and by 1890 (aged 13) was one of the leading players in Montreal. He moved to USA in 1896. He won the USA Championship in 1904, but refused to accept the title. I assume, if he was a Canadian permanent resident ( called " landed " at the time I believe ), from 1885 - 1896, he likely lost it when he never again returned to take up permanent residence in Canada. So as far as I can figure it out, he would not be a Canadian GM for my purposes.

Bob A

Comment

That's the joy of Chesstalk - one never knows what's going to happen next!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Marshall was born in New York City on August 10, 1877, and lived in Montreal, Canada from ages 8 to 19. He began playing chess at the age of 10 and by 1890 (aged 13) was one of the leading players in Montreal. He moved to USA in 1896.
                    How much problem was it for an American to get Canadian citizenship in 1885? I take it you're guessing his parents and him didn't have dual citizenship, or is this known?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

Some historian will have to answer that for you. I just assumed that his parents came to Canada as " landed immigrants ", and he got that status with them. But he would have lost it by not returning regularly to reside part-time in Canada ( I think ).

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                        He transferred his federation from Israel to Canada in 2002: http://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml?year=2002.
                        Yes but in what way was he Canadian. The CFC does not hand out status in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                        X