The Troyka Bookstore, Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Troyka Bookstore, Toronto

During my few years of service at the CFC our most reliable source of Russian language chess books was the Viktor Kamkin bookstore in New York. We got their catalogues, usually once a month, and I would try to order 10 copies of any chess book I thought was good. The Petrosian title Dan refers to was in the excellent "Vedayushiesya Shakhmatistei Mira" series. I ordered 10 copies but they sent only one. I guess the demand was high for that title. It goes without saying that I kept the one copy for myself.

Comment

To my knowledge, no English edition of the Petrosian book has been published. If anyone knows otherwise I would like to hear about it.

Comment

Just to complete the list of publications that could be ordered from the Troyka in the 70s I give this ad that appeared in Chess Canada, Jan-Feb 1975. The subscription prices are unbelievably low!

Soviet CHESS Publications
        All Periodicals in Russian Language

Soviet Sports (Sovietsky Sport) – 300 issues per year! Up to the minute news reports in this daily which includes a chess column AIR MAIL $10.80

“64” – 52 issues per year. Edited by Tigran Petrosian, this 16 page publication usually contains 12 pages of chess news and games from around the world. Printed Fridays – usually arrives the following Tuesday AIR MAIL $5.00

CHESS (Shahmaty) – 24 issues per year Edited by Grandmaster Alvar Gipslis, this magazine specializes in carefully annotated games from recent events. Many photos and crosstables make this a fine publication SEA MAIL $7.20
        AIR MAIL $14.40

CHESS RIGA (Shahs, Latvian) – 24 issues per year A pocket size publication edited by former world champion Mikhail Tal. Theoretical articles and games with in-depth notes
        SEA MAIL $7.20
        AIR MAIL $14.40

CHESS BULLETIN (Shahmatnyi Biulletin) – Monthly The ‘theory’ magazine of the Soviet Union. About 200 games without notes, as well as a chapter on recent opening theory each month SEA MAIL $8.40
        AIR MAIL $16.80

CHESS IN THE USSR (Shahmatnyi v SSSR) – Monthly A literary chess magazine including mostly Soviet chess news as well as a few theoretical articles
        SEA MAIL $6.60
        AIR MAIL $13.20
        (Please allow 10 weeks to process subscription)

Please make cheques payable to Troyka Limited and send to 799 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M6G 1C7 Telephone (416) 535-6693

Those were the days!

The same issue had an ad for Clocks, Chessmen, Chess Boards from Z. L. Sarosy at P.O. Box 128, Stn. “N”, Toronto M8V 3S4 with the motto “In the service of the chess community since 1954”.

There were also ads for the Speed Chess Marathon at the Alekhine Chess Club on St. Hubert, Montreal and tournies at the Toronto Central Chess Club at 40 College. The Fourth Canadian Junior Chess Championship had just taken place in Vancouver with Peter Nurmi the winner and the Canadian Open CC was announced for July and August in Calgary.

Comment

Working...
        X