Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mexico UNAM Festival

Congrats to Aman. Well played.
    Eric showed the class in the last four rounds 4/4 :)

Comment

They played 5 moves.
      It was a grandmaster draw! :D
      I'm so excited about the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post
        They played 5 moves.
        It was a grandmaster draw! :D
        I'm so excited about the results.
        Final results here:

http://chess-results.com/tnr85808.aspx?art=1&lan=1

Congrats Aman and Eric.
        Let's not forget Alexandra Botez and Yelizaveta Orlova also played and I'm sure they gave it their best... I'm sure they would have liked to do better, but it is valuable experience all the same.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

In the last round I needed just a draw to make my GM norm and after 5 moves there was a Q trade offered in a Queen's Gambit Accepted and my opponent offered me a draw. Of course I quickly accepted and we actually finished before the DGT board was live, which is why no moves are showing online.

I made my last IM norm and also scored a GM norm, to finish undefeated with 7/9. Eric Hansen finished in typical style with 4/4 in his last 4 games to complete the comeback and also score 7/9. Despite a rough start he orchestrated his clutch finish like many tournaments previous and finished well. On tiebreaks I finished 3rd, and I'm very pleased with my tournament. The game against Dobrov was the only one I deserved to lose, in round 8, so it was a nice save. I played GMs the last 5 games!

Now Eric and I fly to Panama with a number of the Cubans from this tournament to play in the Panama Chess Open II from November 27th-December 3rd. Tournament website is here and a list of participants here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it feels good to be the only player in the tournament to take any points off Macieja (a draw) who won the tournament in crushing fashion (8.5/9) :)
          Last edited by Aman Hambleton; Monday, 26th November, 2012, 05:11 AM.

Comment

:):):):):):):):):):):)
            i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
              In the last round I needed just a draw to make my GM norm and after 5 moves there was a Q trade offered in a Queen's Gambit Accepted and my opponent offered me a draw. Of course I quickly accepted and we actually finished before the DGT board was live, which is why no moves are showing online.

I made my last IM norm and also scored a GM norm, to finish undefeated with 7/9. Eric Hansen finished in typical style with 4/4 in his last 4 games to complete the comeback and also score 7/9. Despite a rough start he orchestrated his clutch finish like many tournaments previous and finished well. On tiebreaks I finished 3rd, and I'm very pleased with my tournament. The game against Dobrov was the only one I deserved to lose, in round 8, so it was a nice save. I played GMs the last 5 games!

Now Eric and I fly to Panama with a number of the Cubans from this tournament to play in the Panama Chess Open II from November 27th-December 3rd. Tournament website is here and a list of participants here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it feels good to be the only player in the tournament to take any points off Macieja (a draw) who won the tournament in crushing fashion (8.5/9) :)
              I'm so happy for you buddy .... 1/3 of the way to the next "prize". And I would assume there will be another Continental (4 spots) before the 2013 World Cup ...... You and Eric make for a great team Canada.

Comment

Congratulations Aman - you've come a long way since Scarborough CC!!

Go for that GM!!

Bob

Comment

Aman Hambleton, I.M. and Eric Hansen, G.M.

Warmest congratulations to Aman. A remarkable performance, beating up on a flock of competent GMs on his way to a third place finish. His draw against the winner is particularly notable.
                  His increase in strength over the past few years is quite exceptional. He has recently honed his skills taking on all comers in the Ottawa/Eastern Ontario region including two recent wins against Canadian champion, GM Bator Sambuev.
                  Congratulations also to Eric Hansen on another fine performance.
                  I am very much looking forward to next July's Canadian Open in Ottawa when all three---GM Sambuev, GM Hansen and IM Hambleton---will be taking on some of the world's top players.
                  Meanwhile, good luck to Hambleton and Hansen in Panama.
                  Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Monday, 26th November, 2012, 10:50 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Congrat Aman

Comment

Congratulations Aman. Keep up the great play!

Comment

Congratulations Aman! Ahead of schedule!! (IM title secured in 2012 and a GM norm to boot) Keep rolling on!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Congratulations Aman - you've come a long way since Scarborough CC!!
                          My friend, the late John Kohlfurst, would have liked that. The Scarborough CC started in his back yard.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Congrats Aman :):)
                            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Congrats Aman ... well done and well deserved.
                              Lots of hard work and fighting spirit.
                              Great job Aman!!!

Comment

Congratulations Aman!
                                :)

Comment

Working...
                                X