• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mexico UNAM Festival

Congratz on third place Eric though I know you can do better

Comment

Canada's strongest GM writes:

"Aman scored an undefeated 7 points in 9 games, including 4 points out of 6 against grandmasters! Normally this is good enough for a gm-norm, but Aman's performance rating was some 4 points shy of the necessary 2600. If FIDE wants to be a hard ass, then the title-commission can deny the result for grandmaster norm considerations."

Does this mean that Mr.Aman did not get the GM norm?

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
        Canada's strongest GM writes:

"Aman scored an undefeated 7 points in 9 games, including 4 points out of 6 against grandmasters! Normally this is good enough for a gm-norm, but Aman's performance rating was some 4 points shy of the necessary 2600. If FIDE wants to be a hard ass, then the title-commission can deny the result for grandmaster norm considerations."

Does this mean that Mr.Aman did not get the GM norm?

Norm
        2596 was my tournament performance but my norm-performance is 2600+ because the lowest rated player is raised to 2200 for calculation of a GM norm.

Comment

Normand wrote:

Canada's strongest GM writes: .....
          Nitpick:

You should have written "Canada's strongest active GM by FIDE rating" since Mark Bluvshtein (2590) is rated higher FIDE than Kevin Spraggett (2579). (assuming that the attached quote was from the KS blog).

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
            In the last round I needed just a draw to make my GM norm and after 5 moves there was a Q trade offered in a Queen's Gambit Accepted and my opponent offered me a draw. Of course I quickly accepted and we actually finished before the DGT board was live, which is why no moves are showing online.

I made my last IM norm and also scored a GM norm, to finish undefeated with 7/9. Eric Hansen finished in typical style with 4/4 in his last 4 games to complete the comeback and also score 7/9. Despite a rough start he orchestrated his clutch finish like many tournaments previous and finished well. On tiebreaks I finished 3rd, and I'm very pleased with my tournament. The game against Dobrov was the only one I deserved to lose, in round 8, so it was a nice save. I played GMs the last 5 games!

Now Eric and I fly to Panama with a number of the Cubans from this tournament to play in the Panama Chess Open II from November 27th-December 3rd. Tournament website is here and a list of participants here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it feels good to be the only player in the tournament to take any points off Macieja (a draw) who won the tournament in crushing fashion (8.5/9) :)
            Aman,

Grant and I (along with all the other Newfoundland chess players) salute you and bid you well. I am amazed at your progress, and I hope one day you come back for a visit to play some games and eat some lemons :D

All the best! Jordan
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
            X