Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart House Winter Open 2013

- Hart House Winter Open -

When: January 4th, 5th, 6th (Fri, Sat, Sun)
    Where: Great Hall, Hart House, University of Toronto, Main Floor
    Style: 5 round Swiss in 4 sections: Open & U2200 (FIDE Rated), U1900 & U1600
    Rounds Times: 6pm Friday, 10am & 4pm Saturday & Sunday
    Time Control: 120 mins + 30 sec inc for Open & U2200 sections, 30/90, SD/60 for U1900 & U1600 sections
    Byes: Maximum of 2 in rounds 1-4 if requested in advance.

Other Info: No Smoking. No Mobile Phones. Please bring sets and clocks.

More details and pre-registered list can be found at the Hart House Chess Club website: http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/hhopen

See you all there!

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club
    Last edited by Alex Ferreira; Tuesday, 27th November, 2012, 07:01 PM. Reason: now with details

Re: Further Upcoming Events

Hi all,

More at Hart House, mark your calendars:

Reading Week Open
    February 22, 23, 24
    Round Times: Friday 6pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am & 4pm
    Debates & Music Rooms, 2nd Floor at Hart House

Holidays Open 2013
    December 20, 21, 22 (2013)
    Great Hall, Main Floor at Hart House

The Reading Week Open will likely follow the exact model of the Winter Open.
    Registration will open after the Winter Open is completed.
    All details to be posted as we know them, closer to the events.

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club

Comment

Hi Alex, are you lining up a hotel/motel/etc., for the Holidays Open? (and the others?)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
        Hi Alex, are you lining up a hotel/motel/etc., for the Holidays Open? (and the others?)
        Something that I didn't realize, and maybe you as well (?), is that the Holidays Open is actually for December 2013 :D

I guess the 2012 Holidays Open is replaced by this 2013 Winter Open, which is unfortunate because I could have played in the former but cannot in the latter

Comment

Hi Aman,

That's correct. And reason for the distinction in naming. The December 15-16 weekend in 2012 was not available at Hart House, and we decided against having a tournament ending on Dec. 23rd, so ended up pushing it to January. It is now corrected for the following cycle, although interestingly enough, I've already had some feedback from players that the January alternative may work better for some. Hope you can join us in the Reading Week,

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
            Hi Aris,

We do not have a special rate with a hotel. However there are several not too far from Hart House, namely on Bloor Street (Holidays Inn, Hyatt, Four Seasons), Wellesley & Bay there is the Sheraton.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
              Hi Aris,

We do not have a special rate with a hotel. However there are several not too far from Hart House, namely on Bloor Street (Holidays Inn, Hyatt, Four Seasons), Wellesley & Bay there is the Sheraton.

Alex Ferreira
              Thanks Alex, would they all be within walking distance (like within 15 minutes stroll) ?

Comment

Re: Hart House Winter Open 2013

I will never play in a chess tournament with a sudden death time control. You are discriminating against under 1900 players unless you let them play up.

Alan Tomalty

Comment

Hi Aris;
                  There used to be a bed and breakfast called Jarvis House
                  344 Jarvis Street Toronto
                  416-975-3838
                  If it's still there. Not sure if you could walk from there.

Madisons also has a Hotel next door to Madison's Pub
                  They are within walking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    Hi Aris;
                    There used to be a bed and breakfast called Jarvis House
                    344 Jarvis Street Toronto
                    416-975-3838
                    If it's still there. Not sure if you could walk from there.

Madisons also has a Hotel next door to Madison's Pub
                    They are within walking distance.
                    John, thank you very much!

Comment

Yes, all these are about 10 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTomalty View Post
                        I will never play in a chess tournament with a sudden death time control. You are discriminating against under 1900 players unless you let them play up.

Alan Tomalty
                        Hi Alan,

We've had this time control differential for the top and bottom level sections for as long as I can remember. This isn't discrimination as we cannot possibly accommodate enough clocks to allow everyone to play with increment. Additionally, many players bring their own clock and since a significant portion of those clocks are not digital, it would be hard to force them otherwise.
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

As a member of a chess club where G90 time control is always used (we have no choice due to curfew at our location), I find the Hart House tournaments, even with the eventual SD finish, a real treat. Most of the time the games will have been essentially decided before time threatens to run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            Hi Alan,

We've had this time control differential for the top and bottom level sections for as long as I can remember. This isn't discrimination as we cannot possibly accommodate enough clocks to allow everyone to play with increment. Additionally, many players bring their own clock and since a significant portion of those clocks are not digital, it would be hard to force them otherwise.
                            Cmon guys get out of the stone age. Advertise to bring a digital clock or you will be forced to rent one at extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTomalty View Post
                              Cmon guys get out of the stone age. Advertise to bring a digital clock or you will be forced to rent one at extra cost.
                              I think the problem is that the organizers don't have access to n clocks where n is approximately half the number of participants. To be able to rent the clocks means you need to have them on hand; if they were on hand they could simply be used...

Anyway, chess players are cheap and that proposal would turn into a nightmare of "I rented the clock for the last round - I'm not renting it again" or "why did I rent a clock if my opponent already had one" etc. I've also encountered people who would NOT play with the specific digital clock that we had at our board because "it isn't the same as the one I am used to..." The TD has enough crap to deal with.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X