Entire Olympic Team from Alberta in 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Entire Olympic Team from Alberta in 2014?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Alberta should be very proud with their accomplishments over the last few years!

Alberta is the new Quebec of old!

Congratulations...you are doing great things!

One request: Could you move your tournament off my dates for the National finals of the CCC please :). Let's work together on this :)

Larry
    Which tournament? The Calgary International? Maybe in 2014. In 2013 it will have to stay on the same weekend because we have made an agreement with the city and that included several things, such as dates of tournament, number of days and hotel and we don't want to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      Maybe I am wrong, but as far as I understand under the new agreement, Quebec federation has a 1/3 of the votes for the Olympic team. With the other 2/3 of the votes going to Ontario, my guess is that even Eric will have hard time to qualify if he is not moving to Toronto or Montreal ASAP!

Cheers!
      Its easier to get an objective analysis when one is not involved at all. I have nothing to gain from stating what follows.

To be quite blunt, Canadian chess goes way out of its way trying to invite players from smaller provinces to big national events. In addition, with the exception of Eric, some of the weaker invitees to Olympiad teams have been from Alberta and BC ( eg Yoos and Porper ). The overdone fuss over Porper not making the team in 2010 ( supposably Noritsyn was not worthy ? ) was not supported by the results in 2012. Hansen himself was obviously pumping up his local friend; might as well continue the tradition I guess.

I read this thread and I am disturbed. My Canada includes Ontario, and without the largest province some of our very best players would not have attended Olympiad and registered stronger results then likely ANY of their peers could have done in their appearance years. Canada needs every talent it can get to avoid having its head handed to them by the strongest chess nations. Top international events are extremely tough.

By continually criticizing and negative harping on Ontario players, Canada continues to encourage retirements from chess and a much smaller talent pool then possible. Life for a young player in Ontario is often a struggle to try to rise above many other peers, with many setbacks and absolutely no support and/or recognition unless you are #1 often. No doubt Ontario chess is now getting weaker on the top levels; so many strong players have quit. Development of youth players seems to be regressing but I can't be sure on how much; it suffices to say the top levels are not being replenished with enough top players to replace those who have retired.

The CFC ( OCA's AWOL as per usual ) and CMA seem to view Ontario as a cash cow to populate their youth events. Sure, a few generally rich families fund fairly exotic programs complete with strong coach and extensive regular travel, but that's not really a formula to developing a strong chess community.

What's the expressuion, walk a day in my shoes ? It might be appropriate for some of you regional enthsiasts to try to understand what the chess experience in Ontario is really like. You might be surprised and constantly trying to villify the players ( often young people ) just makes chess the wrong activity to be involved with.

You want a mediocre Olympiad team made up entirely of Alberta and BC players ? Why not. Just don't pretend its about skills. Seems to be a never ending political circus.
      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 4th January, 2013, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
        objective analysis
        I do not think that word means what you think it means. Whether you're right or wrong, your post is not coming from any kind of objective position. Further, the thread is obviously tongue in cheek - the next Olympiad team is almost certain to include Hansen, and Porper&Wang will have some chances to make it (as 3 of the top 14 rated players in Canada by CFC, and Pechenkin making it 4 of the top 17 by FIDE), so it's just a friendly nod towards the improvement in Alberta chess after many years when there was zero chance anyone from Alberta would be considered.
        Last edited by David Ottosen; Thursday, 3rd January, 2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          I do not think that word means what you think it means. Whether you're right or wrong, your post is not coming from any kind of objective position. Further, the thread is obviously tongue in cheek - the next Olympiad team is almost certain to include Hansen, and Porper&Wang will have some chances to make it (as 3 of the top 14 rated players in Canada by CFC, and Pechenkin making it 4 of the top 17 by FIDE), so it's just a friendly nod towards the improvement in Alberta chess after many years when there was zero chance anyone from Alberta would be considered.
          Look, the circus has been in town for decades on this topic, whether the posts on here are serious at all or not. Given the history on this topic, joking about it might not be very tactful. It was only weeks ago that people were seriously questioning the Canadian Junior field based entirely on the province of residence of the chosen players. Guess they were joking there too. Sorry, I'm not that insightful about the motives why people post.

btw It's no surprise Alberta is having success; the chess programs appear to be stronger then in Ontario. My guess would be that BC and Quebec
          also have stronger chess programs then Ontario. If Ontario has no members on the next Olympiad team well that might just be a solid
          indicator that the feeder systems are weaker in Ontario, and/or that interest in "elite" chess is declining here.
          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 3rd January, 2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            Sorry, I'm not that insightful about the motives why people post.
            I would understand that if your response was the first to the H.Jung joke. Did you ever read other replies? Probably your sense of humor drawn in the eggnog too :D

Comment

Working...
            X