2013 Quebec Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Quebec Open

Many people asked about the 2013 Quebec Open. While it traditionnally starts on Saturday, this year it will begin on Sunday. This change was made to accommodate the people that will play in both the Canadian Open and the Quebec Open (including many GMs!).

So, the Canadian Open finishes on July 20 and the Quebec Open starts on July 21. Since Ottawa and Montreal are within 90 minutes from each other, we hope to share a lot of players!

The Quebec Open will be held in Montreal, although the exact venue is still to be determined, since it depends on sponsors. In any case, as in the last years, the tournament will be held in one of Montreal's most beautiful venues.

All the details are still to come, but some GMs already confirmed, including GM Hansen, GM Bruzon, GM Rozentalis, GM Sulskis, GM Cabrera. Many other GMs (including our own grandmasters) have also been contacted. Some side activities, such as the Mini-COQ, will start on July 20.

The prize fund will be of at least 18 000$ (guaranteed). Last year, the entry fee was as low as 65$, depending on the sections! You can look at last year's website to have an idea of how will be the 2013 Quebec Open : http://echecsmontreal.ca/coq/english.html

Re: 2013 Quebec Open

Is there a problem getting Brébeuf this year? Cost? Air-conditioned space problems if too many players?

(I hope that under the Big Owe is not considered one of "Montreal's most beautiful venues.")

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 Quebec Open

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Is there a problem getting Brébeuf this year? Cost? Air-conditioned space problems if too many players?

(I hope that under the Big Owe is not considered one of "Montreal's most beautiful venues.")
      I think that, overall, people really liked Brébeuf. Some people made some suggestions about venues that could be even better, and these suggestions are being investigated. Anyway, "worst-case" scenario would be to continue with Brébeuf, which is still a very nice playing hall.

There are incredible rooms to rent in the Olympic Stadium, but these are definitely out of range for a chess tournament budget, so don't worry :D

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        GM Rozentalis, GM Sulskis

Comment

I would say that there are few "better venues" than Brébeuf when you consider proximity to the Metro, restaurants, cheap university accommodation, free parking - not to mention the beauty of the tournament hall (the former chapel - the 1930's-vintage pews from the chapel can be found scattered around the building), the history of the building (class photos everywhere - the one with Justin Trudeau is located where the pairings are usually posted), and big windows through which you can see beautiful sunsets. I know nothing about the cost for the hall - but it must be a lot cheaper than a downtown hotel.

Comment

The playing hall of Brebeuf seemed nice with good lighting but I must say that the dorms there were the worst I've ever stayed in! Bed bugs, no air conditioning, loud, and not very hygienic overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

I agree with Hugh. I played in the 2009 QOC at Brébeuf, and it was an excellent venue for many reasons. I even beat recent CJCC Runner-Up Joey Qin in the first round with black in only 25 moves :D
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Will it be too late to change venue? It is posted to be Brebeuf, with suggestion of accommodations. I believe many players had already reserve accommodation, including me that locked in a cheaper deal but non-refundable.

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 Quebec Open

This thread is pretty old. The tournament is indeed at the College Brebeuf.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2013 Quebec Open

Right. Silly me, should have check the date of posting.

Comment

If it's still the same as when Eric was there you'll get to take pets home.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

No idea about the accommodation there, but the Brebeuf playing hall is certainly one of the best I've been in, and I've been in many nice ones..

Comment

Working...
                        X