Canadian chess player cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian chess player cards

This is a poll to see whether respondents would consider playing $2.50 (Canadian dollars) for player card(s) featuring Canadian chess players (of master strength or above), including some player card(s) of deceased Canadian players of past times.

Here's a link showing some international level players that already have such cards:

http://chessqueen.com/facechess-card...kosteniuk.html
    I am a CFC member and I would consider it
    30.00%
    I am not a CFC member and I would consider it
    3.33%
    I am a CFC member and I would not consider it
    63.33%
    I am not a CFC member and I would not consider it
    3.33%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Canadian chess player cards

Fwiw, I (a Canadian National Master) would consider buying at $2.50 a player card of any Canadian GM [edit: maybe even K.S. ;)]. Maybe even some IM strength Canadian players (including deceased ones), especially if I haven't even won a game against them yet. :)

I'd also like a player card of myself, if only to show my relatives. :)
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 9th January, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I make cards of famous players, and also Canadian champions, and give them to children at tournaments. The card can be kept as a souvenir, or exchanged for pop or chips. About half are exchanged for munchies.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        I make cards of famous players, and also Canadian champions, and give them to children at tournaments. The card can be kept as a souvenir, or exchanged for pop or chips. About half are exchanged for munchies.
        Hmmm
        A bottle of pop out of a machine typically costs $2.25 in Ottawa.

Perhaps you might wish to contact the CFC President at some point, especially if the internationally sold chess player cards in the link I gave in my first post appear to sell well in future.

Comment

Do you need permission from the players to use and sell their image?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Good question, Gary.

I believe Fischer was one of the players mentioned in the link I gave in my first post. He had issues (ahem), including questions of copyright. But, as we all know, he is now gone...

Comment

When I started making the cards, a few years ago, I asked a titled Canadian player what he thought about copyright. He said that because I was giving the cards away, he didn't think think there would be any objections.

A few years ago, when Irina Krush came to Windsor, one of the local kids asked her to autograph her card. She raised her eyebrows, but didn't say anything.

Comment

IMHO probably the person who takes a given photograph has copyright (if any).

Comment

Chess Player Photos on Internet

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                  IMHO probably the person who takes a given photograph has copyright (if any).
                  And I think, even if the photographer posts his photos on-line for the public to view, this does not nullify his copyright. You still need the photographer's permission to use the photo for some other purpose ( e.g. an e-newletter ).

What I'm not sure of , is whether there is a difference when the photographer posts them in his " album ", vs posting one individual picture in a chesstalk post.

Anyone know?

Bob A

Comment

Re: Chess Player Photos on Internet

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    What I'm not sure of , is whether there is a difference when the photographer posts them in his " album ", vs posting one individual picture in a chesstalk post.

Anyone know?
                    Bob, you are the closest to lawyers, you should have some contacts who might give an advice. :)

I read long time ago a lit bit on the theme. With a non-profit public use it is simpler in case picture are taken in public spaces (though, do a Hart House and its tournaments fall into it When monetary profits come into equations, it is better to have agreements with all involved parties: a photographer, a person, and a publisher. Mostly, a photographer would get a (full) release form signed by a person, and then he might go anywhere and try to sell his pictures. If a person is stubborn, a photographer and a publisher has less freedom. And so on, with all kind of variations in the love triangle: a photographer, a person, a publisher.

I don't mind if others use my pictures, if some credits are given. Recently I found that several persons used to update their Facebook profile pictures taken at the HH :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Do you need permission from the players to use and sell their image?
                      The answer is most probably "YES". That is why the current chess cards offer mostly deceased chess player cards. One cannot make chess cards with Anand, Kramnik or Aronian's face without having to pay them somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        The answer is most probably "YES". That is why the current chess cards offer mostly deceased chess player cards. One cannot make chess cards with Anand, Kramnik or Aronian's face without having to pay them somehow.
                        That sounds right to me. However, even with deceased players the estate might still have a claim, if they push it.

I think major league sports has an agreement which allows the players images to be used on sports cards. Chess cards would be more a matter for the federations than individuals.

Are the current chess card, which I didn't know existed, free or is there a charge?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I voted no... cause while I think the idea is interesting, there really doesn't seem to be much of a future unless it's exclusively in chess playing countries. Assuming we're talking about North America in general, the idea of chess playing cards would only appeal to those actually interested in it and most of them are either adults or kids being pushed into playing by their parents.

The reason sports cards and game cards like yugioh, pokemon and digimon cards work is that they appeal to kids and kids should be the target audience when it comes to something like this. Just look at the audiences for kids watching those shows or watching baseball, basketball, hockey. It's massive. Now look at who's primarily watching chess - a vast majority of watchers are old people because the games are very long and most kids aren't strong enough and don't have enough patience to sit through watching their favorite players play it. Sure, they might check it out on chessbase or some other site to see results and view the games but they have a shorter attention span than adults and chess is just frankly... boring to watch.

Now, if we're talking about Russia or Turkey, maybe it could work but in Canada, there's no money and no point.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I would have thought a lot of chess games take no longer to play in real time than a pro sport game such as hockey or baseball. There's 3 hour time slots made for hockey or baseball games on TV, and supposedly unlike hockey a baseball game really can go on indefinitely.

In spite of that, kids even of a fairly young age are capable of watching both hockey and baseball games from start to finish. Today's chess games have a typical G/90 + 30 sec. incr. time control, and thus many played at the RA club in Ottawa, for example, are over before 3 hours of real time expire - and furthermore, some of the players are very young kids(!).
                            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 11th January, 2013, 05:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Probably you're right it's mostly older people who watch the live chess games. Also parents. For me the games I watch have to be interesting and openings with which I have some familiarity. I like watching strong players struggle on the black side of French Winawer, as an example.

Mostly sports cards are to appeal to kids like you say. However, the rarer expensive cards are an adult's hobby. Making a small run of cards in Canada wouldn't be a bad thing. Eventually the cards would probably be worth more than cards from a larger run. I used to order the postal chess cards so I have an idea of the wide range of price quotes for having a run of 125,000 cards printed up. Smaller runs cost more per card and the thickness of the card also effects the price.

In any case, I've felt for some time the membership has to be rebuilt from the bottom up and that's youngsters.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X