Tata Steel: Round 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tata Steel: Round 8

I have not been following the games particularly closely, so far, but do you not look at van Kampen-Naiditsch, Aronian-Hou and Nikolic-Grandelius and wonder whether some players were better off staying in bed this morning?

Naiditsch pitched a piece and immediately resigned. I assume it was a case of impulsively thinking 22...Nxg3+ was tenable, combined with a bit of zeitnot (roughly 15 minutes to make 20 moves prior to the lapse). If they get him in front of the cameras, it will be interesting to hear the basis of that hallucination.

Hou gave up her B against Aronian, which seemed to indicate that she thought her situation was a desperate one. Houdini recommends 25...Kxe5, but I assume cursory analysis convinced her that 26. Bg5 was a too-strong reply. Time was precious for her as well, not helped by the fact that Aronian played quickly. A slightly disappointing showing, after holding Caruana and bruising Giri, but I am sure she still has some punches left in her.

Clearly, Grandelius overlooked 14. Qxe5. 13...Ne4 was the type of blunder I could easily see myself making, if I were in an aggressive mood, but, with Grandelius not being me, I am surprised that he was unable to see that OTB, let alone in pre-game prep.

A resurgent Jan Timman has now entered into a tie for first in the 'B' Group, so uplifting storylines are making attempts to emerge. The homestretch should be great fun to watch.

Re : Tata Steel: Round 8

The Tata 'B' section is always an interesting mix of wily veterans and some of the best juniors in the world. This year's edition has 5 teens playing, including 3 of the top 4 finishers at the 2012 World Junior Championship, namely, the winner (on tie-breaks), Alexander Ipatov, the silver medalist, Richard Rapport, and the 4th place finisher, Nils Grandelius.

Richard Rapport (2621) is still only 16 (but a GM since the age of 13!) and in a 3-way tie for 1st through 9 rounds with Jan Timman (2566) and Sergei Movsesian (2688). I'm sure this will be a name we'll be hearing much more of in the years to come. And likely that of Daniil Dubov (2600), the other 16-year-old playing here (4.5/9, a full point off the lead), and a GM since the age of 14!

Comment

The two 16-year-olds certainly took different approaches in their respective games today. Daniil Dubov, who went into R10 a full point behind the leader, Sergei Movsesian, seemingly had the better position after 20 moves, but accepted a 3-peat draw from Movsesian after just 23 moves, thus guaranteeing he'd remain a full point back of the leader.

Richard Rapport, however, played out a R/5P endgame against Alexander Ipatov (who had won the WJCC over Rapport on tie-breaks) and brought home the full point after 72 moves. He thus moves back into a 1st place tie with Movsesian, both now with 7/10.

Comment

Gotta love Naiditsch's endgame play today against Rapport. The win moved Naiditsch into a 1st place tie with Movsesian, a 1/2 point ahead of the two 16-year-olds (Dubov absolutely crushed Tiviakov today), with 2 rounds to go.

For some poor endgame play, check out the Anand - Hou game. Anand threw away a 'trivial' win when he took the Knights off the board. He tried lots of 'tricks' thereafter in the 4P vs 3P endgame but, full credit to Hou, she didn't fall for any of them.

Comment

Working...
        X