CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Is the Cost of Chess Too High?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Is the Cost of Chess Too High?

Posted on the Facebook chess discussion page of Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ), " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest ": :)

CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Is the Cost of Chess Too High?

Some chess players maintain chess is too expensive. Others say it’s cheap compared to lots of other hobbies. In Canada, equipment ( chess pieces, board and clock ) and chess tournaments are certainly a lot cheaper than, for example, hockey equipment and elite junior hockey tournaments!.

What about the price for weekend chess tournaments and longer ones? Here is a sampling from Canada ( prices are adult on site – there are usually early entry discounts ): July 2012 Canadian Open ( 9 rounds )- $ 215; 2012 Toronto International ( 7 rounds ) - $ 200; 2013 Canadian Youth Chess Championships ( 6 rounds ) - $ 250; 2013 Canadian Open ( 9 rounds ) - $ 275; 2013 Hart House Winter Open ( 5 rounds ) - $ 90; 2013 British Colu...mbia Seniors Championship ( 5 rounds ) - $ 50; 2013 Guelph Winter Pro-Am ( 5 rounds ) - $ 50; 2013 British Columbia Open ( 5 rounds ) - $ 90; 2013 Carnival Open ( Quebec ) ( 5 rounds ) - $ 70; 2013 Ottawa Spring Open ( 5 rounds ) - $ 70.

So for longer tournaments, we are looking at about $ 30/round. A large venue must be rented; all equipment is often supplied; opponents are provided, with a pairing/results computer system; there are cash prizes. For shorter tournaments we are looking at $ 15 per round. So there is a dramatic difference based on length of tournament. If we say a round takes 5 hours, then in shorter tournaments, we pay about $ 3 per hour for shorter tournaments. We can’t go to a movie for that amount, and it lasts half the time! What do you think about these costs?

What about membership costs? The combination of CFC and Ontario Chess Association memberships costs $ 48. You get unlimited right to play in tournaments for a year – the cost of a restaurant meal for two ( modest ). The annual adult membership in a local chess club varies. In Toronto, the fee at the Scarborough Chess Club ( SCC ) is $ 140 ( for 10 months ); at the Annex CC - $ 190 ( 12 months ). Mississauga CC ( city next to Toronto ) - $ 35. At SCC, we play 45 games per year or about $3/night. In Canada, a coffee at Starbucks almost costs that! And all is provided, for 3 ½ hrs. I don’t consider that expensive.

I think the result is that, in Canada anyway, chess is a most reasonable hobby from the cost point of view. How do the costs shape up in your country??

Bob Armstrong, CCC Member ( Canada )
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 21st January, 2013, 04:46 PM.

Re: CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Is the Cost of Chess Too High?

2013 Canadian Youth Chess Championships ( 6 rounds ) - $ 225

Rounds: 6 rounds
    July 10: Rds.1-2: 10am, 4pm
    July 11: Rds.3-4: 10am, 4pm
    July 12: Rds. 5-6: 10am, 4pm
    July 13: Tiebreaks, and fun event TBD (blitz, simul): 10 am

Entry Fee:
    $225 before June 16, 2013
    $250 after June 15, 2013.

That's $37.5 per round (the highest price in Canada).

Comment

Wow, as Garvin says, "Hamilton is the Walmart of Chess."

Entry fees for Hamilton Winter Open:

Top Guns & U2000 - $40 with discount, or $8/game,
      U1600 section - $10 with discount, or $2/game.

Believe it or not, we still get complaints about high prices! :(

Comment

The Montreal weekly Wednesday night events attract 50-60 players at $20 each - i.e. $4 per game.

Comment

Over the course of 2012, I donated 10 paid entries to as many players in the Saturday Rapid and only one availed himself of this. So it seems that some are waiting for even better deals! I'll be damned if I pay people to play as well as paying their entry fee.
          I very much appreciate those who play on a regular basis. The tournament would die otherwise.

Comment

Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Is the Cost of Chess Too High?

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post

Entry Fee:

Is there a more expensive tournament in North America? Last time I checked, even for tournaments with over $100k in prizes weren't that expensive.

Also, last year's Quebec Open had entry fees as low as $65 for 9 rounds (with $18 000 in guaranteed prizes). For With only 7$ a game, it's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              "Hamilton is the Walmart of Chess."(
              The Windsor Chess Challenge is $10 for 8 games, plus free 3-game playoff if you make it that far.

We are the Dollarama of chess.

Comment

jeez.

For 55$ you'll get 10 CFC rated games, uncountable numbers of rapid games (quick, local ratings), a game in a master's simul.

Aurora CC - a chess club :D

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for including Hart House on your list. $90 would be a price for late-comers or people who wish to play up. Base adult fee is $70, or $14 / game, unless you're including parking, although downtown Toronto, TTC is everywhere.

What we pay at most tournaments, where we get 4-5 hours of entertainment per game, is a total bargain. I am speaking from an amateur point of view of course. At most tournaments though (Hart House at least) you have about 10 professional players only, at most.

Annual CFC membership in Ontario is $48. Most chess clubs have an annual rate fee which is very affordable compared to other activities / sports.

Yes, chess is cheap. You will always have whiners at any and every tournament, that's just how it is.

------------

An interesting observation was made about the longer the tournament, the more expensive it is. If it's the case of a Canadian Open where we play one game a day, that might make a lot of sense (rental costs). Compared to a weekender where rent is equivalent to 2.5 days (sometimes just 2, with 3 rounds on first day).

More interesting to me is... what trends are we dealing with? Are Canadian Opens / Championships, open or junior, getting shockingly more expensive?

1 - If so, why? What's changed, what's different?

Many organizers lose money in high profile tournaments.
                  2a - Have we been lagging behind that much, from economic point of view, or is chess just catching up?
                  2b - Can the community afford it?
                  2c - Has participation overall suffered?

3 - Are we losing sponsorships, compared to before?

4 - What types of costs have gone up?

5 - Role of Internet Chess? Canada to many being spread out and impractical to play over-the-board tournaments?

6 - Is it time to rediscover club chess? League competitions, etc... Many parts of the world don't have "Weekenders", and 9-rounders are often heavily subsidized. One-night-a-week chess at a school or community centre seems to be much cheaper.

What are we doing right, what are doing wrong?
                  Does chesstalk feedback reflect the community? :D

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Tournament Rate Comparison

I think one of the most interesting set of statistics that comes out of this thread is the following re cost per round of different tournaments in Canada:

7-9 rounds - $ 30/rd.;
                    5-6 rounds - $ 15/rd.;
                    regular weeknight tournaments at chess club over the membership year in Toronto - $ 3/rd..

Pretty wide-ranging rates. The different formats attract different revenues and different expenses.

But it is clear that a chess club offering nationally rated tournaments throughout the year is a smashing bargain for the tournament player! Pretty good advertising point for chess clubs ( so in Toronto, look at Scarborough CC and Annex CC if you want low-priced chess; it is even cheaper at some of the other GTA clubs - e.g. Mississauga CC ).

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 21st January, 2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Re: Tournament Rate Comparison

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      I think one of the most interesting set of statistics that comes out of this thread is the following re cost per round of different tournaments in Canada:

7-9 rounds - $ 30/rd.;
                      5-6 rounds - $ 15/rd.;
                      regular weeknight tournaments at chess club over the membership year in Toronto - $ 3/rd..

Pretty wide-ranging rates. The different formats attract different revenues and different expenses.

But it is clear that a chess club offering nationally rated tournaments throughout the year is a smashing bargain for the tournament player! Pretty good advertising point for chess clubs ( so in Toronto, look at Scarborough CC and Annex CC if you want low-priced chess; it is even cheaper at some of the other GTA clubs - e.g. Mississauga CC ).

Bob A
                      I disagree that it's a smashing bargain. I think once per week events are the ones I dislike the most. Blitz/rapid events on single days are great, weekenders are fine because they're compact, and 9-rounders spread out over 10 days are gorgeous although more expensive. I don't mind paying for convenience.

Comment

$20 per game is not too much to play tournament chess.
                        That is the amount people normally pay to play in a simul and often against a run-of-the-mill garden variety chess master.
                        And in a tournament the entry fee is occasionally offset when you win a prize.
                        There will always be whiners and squakers no matter what the entry fee is set at.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post

Entry Fee:

Rene - just curious - where does the $225 go?
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            Rene - just curious - where does the $225 go?
                            Yeah... the CUCC with 225/6 rounds is just awful... I remember those used to be 150 for 7 rounds, they managed to increase the price while decreasing the number of rounds like lol...

Also, I agree with Aman, playing a game a week at a club somewhere isn't really chess, hence why I didn't want to play in the GTCL league. Those setups kind of lack the intensity factor that I enjoy most when playing in a tournament.
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Some of us don't like to (or can't) give up a whole weekend for chess - that's why we like/prefer one-game-a-week events.

Comment

Working...
                              X