WYCC moved to December??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYCC moved to December??

just saw this from the short web report on the Jan 18-20 Presidential Board FIDE meeting in Armenia:

"The UAE Chess Federation advised that they had made an agreement with the University which meant that they were only able to hold the World Youth at the end of December 2013. They also confirmed that all participants would get free food and lodging. The PB reluctantly agreed to this change of dates"

Can CFC reps confirm this?

Re : WYCC moved to December??

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
    just saw this from the short web report on the Jan 18-20 Presidential Board FIDE meeting in Armenia:

"The UAE Chess Federation advised that they had made an agreement with the University which meant that they were only able to hold the World Youth at the end of December 2013. They also confirmed that all participants would get free food and lodging. The PB reluctantly agreed to this change of dates"

Can CFC reps confirm this?
    On the FIDE calendar the tournament is scheduled during Christmas... This is not good news for participants, as not only the flight will be much more costly, but also because some of them might prefer to spend Christmas with their family.

Comment

Re: WYCC moved to December??

I had heard that this was a possibility, and that it would be decided in Armenia. Originally their proposed dates were in early August, which was incompatible with our CYCC. Because the organizers are working with the University they had to choose a time when school was out.

Obviously few people are happy about this!

Comment

New post on FIDE website:

World Youth Championships 2013 Al-Ain, UAE 17-Dec-2013 29-Dec-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          I had heard that this was a possibility, and that it would be decided in Armenia. Originally their proposed dates were in early August, which was incompatible with our CYCC. Because the organizers are working with the University they had to choose a time when school was out.

Obviously few people are happy about this!
          I am one of those happy persons. I don't want to be there in August with the temperature around 50 C. End of December must be much better time to visit this country.

Also the new schedule is OK with Canadian CYCC/WYCC circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            End of December must be much better time to visit this country.
            Just don't forget about leaving and coming back to Canada - one of the worst time period to be in the airport - possible snow storms, and a lot of travelers during Christmas/New Year. Plan ahead like an extend vacation in Arabia or close by.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Just don't forget about leaving and coming back to Canada - one of the worst time period to be in the airport - possible snow storms, and a lot of travelers during Christmas/New Year. Plan ahead like an extend vacation in Arabia or close by.
              We have, unfortunately, more serious problem. Mark holds Canadian Passport, but was born in Israel (as it written in Passport). UAE, as you know, is not the best friend of Israel and could easily deny entry to him.

I don't have this problem (was born in Russia).

Comment

Mark holds Canadian Passport, but was born in Israel (as it written in Passport). UAE, as you know, is not the best friend of Israel and could easily deny entry to him.
                A quick Google search finds that the UAE has done this (tennis player in 2009).
                http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-15/w...li?_s=PM:WORLD

Anyone know if it has it done so since?

Comment

We have, unfortunately, more serious problem. Mark holds Canadian Passport, but was born in Israel (as it written in Passport). UAE, as you know, is not the best friend of Israel and could easily deny entry to him.

I don't have this problem (was born in Russia).
                  I know some US players born is Israel who are going to play in WYCC. The difference might be that is no visa required for US citizens to enter UAE.

Comment

Working...
                  X