2012 Canadian Player of the Year -will it be posted here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Canadian Player of the Year -will it be posted here?

I hope GM Eric Hansen and IM Aman Hambleton are nominated. I would split my vote between them. They are both very deserving.

Re: 2012 Canadian Player of the Year -will it be posted here?

If anyone is interested they can just set up a poll on CT and let registered users vote. It's not like "PoTY" is an official title or comes with a guaranteed prize fund. :)

OTOH, everyone knows that Eric and Aman have had great 2012s --- or they should --- and quantifying who is more popular is (IMHO) a bit uncivil.
    Last edited by John Upper; Friday, 1st February, 2013, 08:43 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
      If anyone is interested they can just set up a poll on CT and let registered users vote. It's not like "PoTY" is an official title or comes with a guaranteed prize fund. :)

OTOH, everyone knows that Eric and Aman have had great 2012s --- or they should --- and quantifying who is more popular is (IMHO) a bit uncivil.
      I thought Player of the Year was an official CFC award. It's been awarded for the past 5 years, last year to Mark Bluvshtein. Is it uncivil to name a 2012 POTY because more than one player put in a deserving performance?

Comment

The Player of the Year award was the creation of David Cohen. It was a private award. The CFC had nothing to do with it.

He ran it as a journalist choice. All Canadian chess journalists were given a vote. After a couple of years, he also gave one fan vote - so the public was asked to name a player, and the public winner got one vote to add to the journalists' votes.

I don't know why David did not continue it for 2012. As a chess journalist, I was expecting to hear from him near the end of 2012, but nothing came.

It was a popular process, and it was some recognition for a player who had had a good year. Also, David felt it would help the chess journalists to promote chess, by covering the winner, and that the award also might become newsworthy to the mainstream media, since the award had a catchy title.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 1st February, 2013, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          The Player of the Year award was the creation of David Cohen. It was a private award. The CFC had nothing to do with it.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
          Didn't know that. Interesting, thanks

Comment

2012 Canadian Player of the Year - Going Ahead!

I have now been in contact with David Cohen on this. Fortunately he still plans to process the award for 2012 - workload has delayed him dealing with it. Once he has the basic details organized, which he expects to do soon, he will present the fan ballot. He will then mail the ballots to the Canadian chess journalists.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Comment

Re: 2012 Canadian Player of the Year - Going Ahead!

Chess is big on double issues so maybe it will be the 2012/13 award.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Vote for 2012 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Vote for 2012 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

This is our 10th year, and our 6th year with a fan ballot. The winner of the Fan Ballot joins the ballots cast by the Canadian Chess Journalists to determine the overall winner of the award.

Some players and their accomplishments in 2012 for you to consider for your vote are here:

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...Year.html#2012

(Please point out any missing accomplishments!)

Directions on how to vote are at the link. Voting closes at the end of Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013.

Past winners:

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...r.html#WINNERS

Thanks,

David

David Cohen

P.S. Sorry about the delay.

Comment

Re: Vote for 2012 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                  (Please point out any missing accomplishments!)
                  You can find several here, on the page I linked to at the top of the thread.

Comment

Re : 2012 Canadian Player of the Year -will it be posted here?

I voted for Eric Hansen. I did hesitate between him and Aman Hambleton, but I will instead vote for Aman next year, when he'll get his GM title :)
                    After that, I have the feeling that my vote will go for IM Richard Wang for a couple of years...

Comment

Re: Re : 2012 Canadian Player of the Year -will it be posted here?

Hi Felix:

Psychic - my 3 votes exactly: Hansen, Hambleton, Wang.

Bob

Comment

imho, D.Cohen should make one more step and filter some players out of the list (I know that his intent is different). A "Fan Vote" looks like a joke looking at previous "winners" :D

If I had some spare monies for prizes I would held own awards with these nominees:
                        E.Hansen - GM title, Olympiad performance, Canadian Open, Continental, high place at World Junior, and some opens.
                        B.Sambuev - Canadian Closed and several opens.
                        A.Hambleton - a sky-rocketing rating jump, several opens.
                        R. Wang - 3th @ World Youth and Canadian Closed, 1st @ Canadian Junior.
                        others are back by miles to these players.

Though, imho, Eric had a stellar performance compared to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          imho, D.Cohen should make one more step and filter some players out of the list (I know that his intent is different). A "Fan Vote" looks like a joke looking at previous "winners" :D

If I had some spare monies for prizes I would held own awards with these nominees:
                          E.Hansen - GM title, Olympiad performance, Canadian Open, Continental, high place at World Junior, and some opens.
                          B.Sambuev - Canadian Closed and several opens.
                          A.Hambleton - a sky-rocketing rating jump, several opens.
                          R. Wang - 3th @ World Youth and Canadian Closed, 1st @ Canadian Junior.
                          others are back by miles to these players.

Though, imho, Eric had a stellar performance compared to others.
                          I agree with all of this except that I would add K. Spraggett to the list as remaining Canada's #1 active player.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                            K. Spraggett to the list as remaining Canada's #1 active player.
                            An obvious omission

Comment

Well David has responded by holding the vote. Its hard to choose - Aman has improved from "ordinary" master to GM candidate in less than 6 months, improving 200+ FIDE points and several IM norms as well as a GM norm (unheard of til now!!), Eric Hansen got his GM title and had a stellar performance on Canada's Olympic Team (and is now a world star!), and Richard Wang had a tremendous result at the WYCC and won the Canadian Junior. What a rich year for candidates!

Comment

Working...
                              X