Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Responding to Kerry Liles, this extraordinary case, and its several cousins, remains still unresolved.

I had a lawyer look at this a few years ago, but the CFC was in a financial crisis and couldn't afford a lawyer, so I backed off, as conditions were unequal.

I think I will bring back the lawyer.

Chess rules and ethics will be developed, for the better. However, I can't reclaim the years, or roll back the personal cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Veltmann View Post
      A very interesting picture. Most certainly Martin Devenport and Jonathan Schaeffer in the middle. I dont reconize anybody else since I came to Toronto in the mid 80's

I stand corrected. John Halladay was there and said it was he, but through an email to Schaeffer I've heard from Martin:

> Martin Devenport is to my right. Beside him, obscured by Keres, is Tom
      > Sandor. Martin and Tom played together as a team. They "beat Keres quite
      > badly." I do not recall how I did.
      >
      > Martin does not recognize anyone else in the room.

Also, David Lavin responded that he was not there.

Comment

Chess Canada 1975 May/June had an obituary for Paul Keres with a picture from the simul. It was a different picture with a front view of Paul Keres. Other players are not visible but one very blurry.
        The same issue had results of Tallinn 1975, what Paul Keres won. The next (and the last for Chess Canada) had the report from Vancouver, and the announcement for the Paul Keres Memorial 1976. (entry fee $45, the room cost <10$)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          The world is a great place and everyone in it is fantastic!!!

Unfortunately, not quite true. There's Kerry Liles. Although I have never met him I've heard through reliable sources that he doesn't like castling long and prefers knights over bishops. I will be coming out with a 1000-page analysis of Mr. Liles scandalous behaviour soon, right after I get the okay from my psychiatrist.
          Make sure you find out which way he has his knights face at the start of a game. Or if he ever touches his opponents knights to readjust them. You can tell a lot from that.

And the only way to get Frank feeling better about himself and Kingston, to stop saying Kingston is the home of the worst chess scandal etc. is to create an even bigger scandal somewhere else. He'll have no fun saying Kingston is the second biggest scandal. So who's with me? Who wants the new bragging rights?

Or maybe the OCA Trillium funding issue is actually the biggest chess scandal in Canadian chess history. What about it Frank. I'm calling you out, I don't think you can keep on bragging about your second rate Kingston scandal anymore. I think the OCA has got to be the biggest scandal in Canadian chess history. Your scandal pales by comparison does it not? I certainly think Peter McKillop would agree.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 12th March, 2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            From Stephen Wright's article on GM visits to Canada (if he's reading this, maybe he could update the info with the Toronto clock simul, and the results of the Toronto (regular) simul):

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/visitors.html
            I have tentatively updated the page; I would happily add the results of the regular Toronto simul, but I haven't seen them anywhere, including in this thread ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Hill View Post
              The Toronto simul was held on Wednesday 7 May 1975, not 12 May as in Stephen Wright's list. He was due to arrive in Toronto on 4 May, according to (then Walter) Dobrich's column in the Globe & Mail about a week prior to that.
              The May 12 date is taken from page 2 of the May/June 1975 Chess Canada, also by Walter Dobrich ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                I have tentatively updated the page; I would happily add the results of the regular Toronto simul, but I haven't seen them anywhere, including in this thread ...
                One known result:
                Brian Hartman: "My favorite simul loss was to Paul Keres in 1975..."
                http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...26&postcount=4

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  One known result:
                  Brian Hartman: "My favorite simul loss was to Paul Keres in 1975..."
                  http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...26&postcount=4
                  But is it confirmed that Hartman played Keres in Toronto, rather than in, say, Hamilton?

Comment

My column never appeared in the Globe&Mail - it was in the Toronto Star, the Montreal Star and the Winnipeg Tribune.
                    However, further to the gist of this thread with the discussion of simul pics - one of my regrets of past omissions is the lack of photo coverage of a double simul which was held at Hart House in the Great Hall in about 1969. There Spassky as World Champion played on 40 boards while at an adjacent set-up, Paul Keres played 30 boards. Surrounding this were some 300 - 400 spectators!
                    This was an amazing turnout as it preceded the Fischer chess mania of the 70's.
                    Somewhere, someone must have photos of the event! Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      My column never appeared in the Globe&Mail - it was in the Toronto Star, the Montreal Star and the Winnipeg Tribune.
                      However, further to the gist of this thread with the discussion of simul pics - one of my regrets of past omissions is the lack of photo coverage of a double simul which was held at Hart House in the Great Hall in about 1969. There Spassky as World Champion played on 40 boards while at an adjacent set-up, Paul Keres played 30 boards. Surrounding this were some 300 - 400 spectators!
                      This was an amazing turnout as it preceded the Fischer chess mania of the 70's.
                      Somewhere, someone must have photos of the event! Anyone?
                      The Hart House double simultaneous was on 21 October 1967.

Comment

There was a four-way simul on the plaza at Montreal's Place Ville Marie, featuring four GM's - each playing 25 players. It was either just before/during/after the Canadian Open in 1974, or just before/during/after the Montreal 1979 GM event. I will try to find more info.

Comment

The multi-GM simul in Montreal was held on August 7, 1974, and featured 20-board simuls by each of Ljubomir Ljubojevic, Bent Larsen, Duncan Suttles, Vlastimil Hort, and Miguel Quinteros (i.e. 5 GM's - not 4). Georges Coulombe was the only player who won a game (he beat Suttles). Dudley LeDain's "Gazette" chess column reported "several others drew".

Ljubojevic also gave a simul at the Cafe En Passant, winning all 28 games.

Sports page headline from then: "National [baseball] League expansion ..... virtually assuring 1976 major league expansion into Toronto, Seattle, New Orleans, and Washing [sic], DC".

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                            The May 12 date is taken from page 2 of the May/June 1975 Chess Canada, also by Walter Dobrich ...
                            I took the date of 7 May from my scoresheet. (Result 1-0, naturally...)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              Dobrich's columns of May 17 & 24 mentioned the clocked simult and Keres gave the masters the following chess problem, White to play and win:

Comment

The Keres simul photo at the head of this thread is reproduced in the latest issue of U of T Magazine (Spring 2014), on the last page, 56.

There is a two-paragraph article beneath by Susan Pedwell, which gives a brief history of the Hart House Chess Club. The photo is credited to Vlad Dobrich.

To show how much the club has changed since my time there, I quote:

“Women had only limited access to Hart House until 1972, and women didn’t compete in a club championship until 2000, says Sanja Vukosavljevic, the first female president in the club’s 119-year history. “Chess is a male-dominated sport,” she admits.

The fourth-year sociology and Slavic languages student and her team have added workshops for beginners, pizza parties and movie nights to the roster, and brought back a club tradition – the student versus faculty tournament.”

What movies are they showing, I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                                X