Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Originally posted by David MacLeod View Post
    .......I am not 100% sure that is Zoltan Sarosy behind them.......

Zoltan confirms it is not he, but, does see a resemblance.

Comment

Re: Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      Zoltan confirms it is not he, but, does see a resemblance.
      Richard M Nixon preferred ping pong diplomacy over chess. At least with the Chinese.

Comment

John Halladay confirms that he is to Schaeffer's right (our left), our view of his head partly blocked by Keres.

John ran a summer chess course along with Schaeffer & Nurmi & is now a lawyer in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Just before or after the simul I had the pleasure of showing Keres some of the Toronto tourist sites. While driving south on Jarvis Street, I asked him if he had recently played some tournament. "Yes." he said and mentioned some event in one of the northern states where he won First Prize.
          "So, how much did you win?" I asked as if it was any of my business.
          "$17,000" he said without hesitation.
          "Very nice! I said, "So what will you do with all the money?"
          "I bought a car!" he said.
          "What kind of car did you buy?"
          "I bought a Chevrolet!" he enthused.
          "You paid $17,000 for a Chevrolet?!" I said thinking he had been robbed.
          "Oh no, I paid $6,000 but I will have to pay 200% import duty when it arrives in the Soviet Union - $12,000! more!" Ah the robbery was still to come I thought but said nothing.
          "So", I said, "what will you do in a few years when you may need parts for the car?"
          Said Keres, "When a 60 year old man marries a 20 year old woman, he does not ask what will happen when he is 80 and she is 40!"
          I still laugh when I think of that answer.:)
          Sadly, the great man never had the pleasure of driving his Chevy in Talin. He died at the Helsinki airport while waiting for his flight to Moscow. Even though
          his home in Talin was less than 100 kilometers across the water, he would have had to fly thousands of kms to enter his country by way of Moscow!
          A nice story, but some of the details are incorrect. Keres played in no events in 1975 prior to coming to Canada except for Tallinn 1975, which he won. In his article about Tallinn 1975 in the July Chess Life and Review , William Lombardy writes that when he arrived in Tallinn for the tournament he was "met at the Tallinn station by the legendary grandmaster himself, Paul Keres. While Paul chauffered us to the Hotel Viru in his new Chevrolet Monte Carlo, he mused that he was too old for such a strenuous tournament." So a happy ending -- Keres did get to enjoy his new Chevvy, if only too briefly...

Comment

A very interesting picture. Most certainly Martin Devenport and Jonathan Schaeffer in the middle. I dont reconize anybody else since I came to Toronto in the mid 80's

For me it is interesting since i took part (with my father) at a Keres simul in Kingston in 1975. It was organized by the late Kalev Pugi who I think was a CFC president at one time.

I was wondering whether anybody has pictures of that simul in Kingston? If so can they be posted. Thanks

Comment

From Stephen Wright's article on GM visits to Canada (if he's reading this, maybe he could update the info with the Toronto clock simul, and the results of the Toronto (regular) simul):

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/visitors.html

1975 Kingston 36 (+33 =1 -2)
              1975 Ottawa 30 (+28 =1 -1)
              1975 Hamilton 28 (+21 =4 -3)
              May 1975 Montréal 33 (+30 =3 -0)
              9 clock (+4 =2 -3)
              12 May 1975 Toronto

Nothing available on the digitized issues of the Kingston "Whig-Standard" (and its predecessors) from 1975 (I think they have only done 1810-1848).

http://www.digitalkingston.ca/

But there are references to chess from 1834 and 1835.

From the issue of Jan. 9, 1835: "A match of Chess will be played at Fairfield's Tavern .... Bath Road, on Monday afternoon, the 12th, between the Kingston and Bath players who figured away so lately in the volumes of this paper."

Jan. 13, 1835: "The match played at Fairfield's Tavern on Monday, terminated in favor [sic] of the Kingstonian. Of the first six games, two were won by the Bath player, and for by the man from Kingston. Six more games were then played, but the parties were tired, and consequently played carelessly; three were won by each party. The games won by the Kingstonian were mostly King's Pawn gambits."

Jan. 6, 1835: "We take pleasure in observing that a Chess Club is being formed in Toronto...its Secretary is A.M. Grieg." [some printing is blurred, so I wasn't able to read all the text.]

Comment

The Toronto simul was held on Wednesday 7 May 1975, not 12 May as in Stephen Wright's list. He was due to arrive in Toronto on 4 May, according to (then Walter) Dobrich's column in the Globe & Mail about a week prior to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  From Stephen Wright's article on GM visits to Canada (if he's reading this, maybe he could update the info with the Toronto clock simul, and the results of the Toronto (regular) simul):

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/visitors.html

1975 Kingston 36 (+33 =1 -2)
                  1975 Ottawa 30 (+28 =1 -1)
                  1975 Hamilton 28 (+21 =4 -3)
                  May 1975 Montréal 33 (+30 =3 -0)
                  9 clock (+4 =2 -3)
                  12 May 1975 Toronto

Nothing available on the digitized issues of the Kingston "Whig-Standard" (and its predecessors) from 1975 (I think they have only done 1810-1848).

http://www.digitalkingston.ca/

But there are references to chess from 1834 and 1835.

From the issue of Jan. 9, 1835: "A match of Chess will be played at Fairfield's Tavern .... Bath Road, on Monday afternoon, the 12th, between the Kingston and Bath players who figured away so lately in the volumes of this paper."

Jan. 13, 1835: "The match played at Fairfield's Tavern on Monday, terminated in favor [sic] of the Kingstonian. Of the first six games, two were won by the Bath player, and for by the man from Kingston. Six more games were then played, but the parties were tired, and consequently played carelessly; three were won by each party. The games won by the Kingstonian were mostly King's Pawn gambits."

Jan. 6, 1835: "We take pleasure in observing that a Chess Club is being formed in Toronto...its Secretary is A.M. Grieg." [some printing is blurred, so I wasn't able to read all the text.]
                  Thanks for posting this Hugh.

I spoke with Ross Richardson, from Montreal (at the time), and he has his score-sheet from the Simul at Place Ville Marie - on Wed. April 30th, 1975 - a beautiful sunny day and the simul was outside between the 2 buildings at Place Ville Marie! In his notes from April 30th he says that Keres played 33 games and won 30 of them and giving up 3 draws.

Comment

May 1, 1975: Photo in Montreal "Gazette" (page 41):

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...rontpage&hl=en

Comment

Thanks for Hugh Brodie's intrepid investigations. Hugh has proven himself to be a force of nature in Canadian chess history researching!!! :)

Imagine, finding chess history from Kingston's ancient eras, before the establishment of the United Provinces of Lower and Upper Canada, which had their first capital in Kingston in the early 1840s!

Thanks very much for the Kingston Keres simul information. There are still some people around Kingston chess from that era, although we sadly lost the legendary Dr. Jim Cairns a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, Kingston chess organization and interest has fallen off dramatically in recent years. All you need to know is this: Both Geoff McKay and I, among the stronger players in the area for the past 25 years, live less than three blocks from where the Kingston Chess Club meets, and neither of us has visited there, much less been a member, in several years. But we get together regularly, and play friendly games away from the Club. Kingston will, unfortunately, be known for some time into the future as the home of the worst chess cheating scandal in Canadian history.

Comment

Great site, but they don't seem to have archives of the now-defunct Montreal Star, which my family used to get when I was a kid.:(

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                          Kingston will, unfortunately, be known for some time into the future as the home of the worst chess cheating scandal in Canadian history.
                          Is it really necessary to keep dragging this out every now and then?
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The Google newspaper site doesn't have the rights to all papers. The Montreal "Star" archives are owned by the Montreal "Gazette", which has chosen not to release them online (they are available in many libraries).

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Is it really necessary to keep dragging this out every now and then?
                              The world is a great place and everyone in it is fantastic!!!

Unfortunately, not quite true. There's Kerry Liles. Although I have never met him I've heard through reliable sources that he doesn't like castling long and prefers knights over bishops. I will be coming out with a 1000-page analysis of Mr. Liles scandalous behaviour soon, right after I get the okay from my psychiatrist.
                              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Does anybody in Kingston have a picture of the 1975 Kingston simul by Keres?

Probably not but I was interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X