Looking for a chess instructor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a chess instructor

The Renert School (Calgary) is looking for chess instructor(s) on a full time basis. The right candidate MUST have at least 2 years of experience of teaching the Alterman Chess System in a school setting to children and youth ages 4-15, and has great level of familiarity with the system's manuals, workbooks, and all class activities. Ideally, in addition to working with children, you have also trained and supervised junior instructors in the delivery of classes based on the Alterman Chess System. Preference given to candidates that in addition to being fluent in English (mandatory) also speak Russian and/or Hebrew. To express interest and for further inquiries, please email aaron@renertonline.com

The Alterman System was developed by GM Boris Alterman, and has more than 20,000 kids using it daily in Israel. It is the most tried-and-tested system we have found, and it is working beautifully with some very impressive results.
    Last edited by Aaron Renert; Tuesday, 12th March, 2013, 03:57 PM.

Re: Looking for a chess instructor

This posting kind of reminds me of some of the local IT job postings where companies ask for a specific set of skills and qualifications tailored to someone who they have already decided to hire (usually a relative or friend).

Comment

What is the "Alterman Chess System"? Google gives no hits on it, but I assume it must be something developed by GM Alterman.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        What is the "Alterman Chess System"? Google gives no hits on it, but I assume it must be something developed by GM Alterman.
        I did find reference to an initiative by Alterman in an Israeli school. Presumably he has developed his own "Alterman Chess System". Given the requirements of the position it would seem to make more sense to be advertising in Israel.

http://en.chessbase.com/home/TabId/211/PostId/4005140
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 13th March, 2013, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Looking for a chess instructor

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          Given Alterman's three recent books on gambits, supplemented by several YouTube presentaions on gambits, perhaps he wishes to turn would-be chess players into gambiteers (:

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Looking for a chess instructor

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            Given Alterman's three recent books on gambits, supplemented by several YouTube presentaions on gambits, perhaps he wishes to turn would-be chess players into gambiteers (:
            Actually I've heard in the past, and used in my own coaching at schools, that getting young players to play exclusively gambits, at least in their practice games, is a great way to teach them. On one side, the player who gambits a pawn (or more!) has to attack, they can't play quietly, and the player on the other side gets some practice in how to play once you have an advantage.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

No Vlad, the reason I advertise in Canada, is because I open a school in Canada, where chess will be a flagship program, and it will make a lot more sense to find a Canadian to fill in the position. I know I can find these people in Israel. I was just there. The Alterman System was developed by GM Boris Alterman, and has more than 20,000 Israeli kids using it daily. It is the most tried-and-tested system I have found, and it is working beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Renert View Post
                The Alterman System was developed by GM Boris Alterman, and has more than 20,000 Israeli kids using it daily. It is the most tried-and-tested system I have found, and it is working beautifully.
                So what is it... the Alterman System? I've never heard of it, neither has anyone else, not even Mr. Google.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                  So what is it... the Alterman System? I've never heard of it, neither has anyone else, not even Mr. Google.
                  I found a program "Путешествие в мир шахмат" (Travel to Chess World (my translation)). The program is led by Люба Альтерман (a wife of Boris Alterman?). The program is for kids and it is based on the special software, kids do exercises and battle in real matches. Try translate this http://botinok.co.il/node/80357
                  Probably it is necessary to search in Hebrew to find details.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Renert View Post
                    No Vlad, the reason I advertise in Canada, is because I open a school in Canada, where chess will be a flagship program, and it will make a lot more sense to find a Canadian to fill in the position.
                    If you really want a Canadian to fill in the position you should allow one to learn this Alterman system that no one in Canada knows as yet, instead of demanding two years of experience teaching with it. I am pretty sure that any experienced chess teacher can learn this "system" in no time at all if given the chance.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Looking for a chess instructor

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                      the player who gambits a pawn (or more!) has to attack, they can't play quietly, and the player on the other side gets some practice in how to play once you have an advantage.
                      Maybe this a question of opinion or style, but from my own experience (I often play gambits in actual tournament play), the gambiter can often play quietly, and very often is the one with the advantage.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Looking for a chess instructor

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                        Maybe this a question of opinion or style, but from my own experience (I often play gambits in actual tournament play), the gambiter can often play quietly, and very often is the one with the advantage.
                        At the typical level of school kids?
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          If you really want a Canadian to fill in the position
                          You may argue who Canadian is but if consider that (s)he is a person living in Canada, there are chances to find people who might know about the system. A lot of people immigrate from Israel, especially those who take it as an intermediate stop.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            not even Mr. Google.
                            However Ms. Youtube has videos from School
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/luba6464
                            and http://www.chessacademy.co.il

Some videos show the book, software screens, environment (with global warming signs LOL

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Looking for a chess instructor

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                              At the typical level of school kids?
                              Gambit play is perfectly viable in rated tournaments at expert level... but I am sure you already know that.

Comment

Working...
                              X