Biggest chess scandal in Canadian chess history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biggest chess scandal in Canadian chess history?

Unless I'm badly mistaken, a working adult can contribute to a pension plan. As for a museum - Canadian chess would require some internationally recognized feats to even consider commemorating such a small element of Canadian culture. Didn't even bother reading the rest of your post.

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    What are scandals as opposed to disasters? Something done poorly or with evil intent? The dictionary says "public disgrace." Two items are not enough for a poll. Canadian Chess has had lots of dirty laundry:

There has been controversies throughout Canadian chess history, such as in the 1870s one city's team was playing telegraph matches with their opening chess book open. Disputes about where the Canadian Championship should be held. A Russian spy at the Ottawa CC. A chess & bridge club being used as a front for gambling. A master who worked with the Nazis. A player who was a pedophile and murderer. A punch being thrown at the Toronto CC. A GM not getting immigration papers to stay in Canada. What about Anderson not getting his GM norm at the Olympiad? When the Canadian Closed was a round-robin someone strong would be left out. Selections to the Olympiad team usually have a difference of opinion, but I don't think anybody has been selected because they're friends. And just last year a strong junior was prevented from representing Canada internationally. Is sending weak juniors to a master event a scandal?

Organizers have organized big events with poor turnout, losing lots of money. There has been organizers who didn't give out all the prizes or forward CFC memberships. The Toronto CC lost its money in being kicked out after renovating and the membership voted against moving to Bloor & Bathurst, leading to its decline. The Toronto Building Fund was swallowed by the CFC. The biggest financial scandal was lottery money going to Man versus Machine 1978. What about paying for a year subscription to a chess magazine that folded after 2 issues?

There has been players cheating. I remember one opponent going to the washroom with a pocket set; the TD refused to peak through the toilet stall. (Also Players peeing at the board.) There has been players in the Canadian Junior who played out a prepared game, player in the Canadian Closed who slept at the board and been woken up, players who have preentered but didn't show up, players who have withdrawn from a round-robin or rusty players who didn't prepare, resulting in preventing a more interested player from playing. A player quitting the Olympiad team mid-tournament. Is it scandalous to play 1. g4!?

There has been lost adjournment envelopes and pairing errors. An organizer deliberately mispaired Hebert in 1985 because he was losing money on the event. But the pairing in the 2006 Canadian Closed wasn't deliberate as it was a computer error. Likewise, the 2010 Canadian Open accelerated pairings barfed out a mispaired point group. So to me the bigger scandal is the CFC continuing to promote a defective product. At the very least, organizers should buy FIDE-recognized software (like Swiss-Manager) and do phantom pairings to double check what Swiss-Sys does. The scandal from that Closed was not paying the food bill to Master's Buffeteria for the closing banquet.

And what does one call the large-scale systemic scandals like the CFC not providing full service in both official languages, going to war with Quebec (Even in last year's agreement with the FQE, players' FQE rating doesn't count for the Olympiad team calculation and the number of FQE rated games doesn't count towards eligibility). The Fischer boom was an opportunity to get government and corporate support and the CFC failed, contributed to the collapse of the Chess Canada empire, and, while 20% of Canadians played chess, CFC had declining membership. Nowadays thousands play chess online, unconnected to the CFC. Hundreds of schools have chess teaches and buy equipment, unconnected to the CFC. At the Olympiad Canada has to compete with teams that get government funding. Canada couldn't afford to send a team to some Olympiads. We have no pension plans for those who have devoted their life to chess. We have no Canadian Hall of Fame chess museum. Canada is its own FIDE zone? Now that's scandalous.
    i rep back 3+

Comment

Erik wrote:
      What about paying for a year subscription to a chess magazine that folded after 2 issues?
      Was that "Canadian Chess Scene"? I have one issue somewhere.

I have seen more than one punch thrown in a chess environment. Fortunately - contact was never made. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Erik wrote:

Was that "Canadian Chess Scene"? I have one issue somewhere.

I have seen more than one punch thrown in a chess environment. Fortunately - contact was never made. :-)
        Yes, I subscribed to Janicki's Canadian Chess Scene and felt ripped off only getting 2 issues.

The punch at the Toronto CC in the 1980s was reported to police and made front page news, hence a candidate for the most public chess scandal.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTomalty View Post
          By far the biggest non financial scandal in CFC history was the blatant disregard of the rules in the 1995 Canadian Closed where the title of outright Canadian champion was stolen from Byron Nickoloff by the CFC. I was there and witnessed every last sordid detail in the championship. Glenn Johnstone resigned his game against Nickoloff and yet Johnstone was awarded the win. Deen Hergott never even showed up for his last round game and thus should have been forfeited but the game was annulled with neither player getting any points. Even so Nickoloff tied for first place. That episode proved to me that rules don't matter. Unless the CFC rights this injustice the organization will always be a laughingstock in my eyes.

Alan Tomalty
          That was really tragic.

And there's the father who took his 2 home-schooled youth champions out of the country into hiding. The executive member who disappeared from his ex-wife. CFC executives who push around CFC employees. And recently the junior who arbitrarily was given the greatest jump in a CFC rating in history.

How does the Kingston CC scandal compare?

Chess players and volunteer organizers work hard and try their best but are subject to the same human foibles as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Yes, I subscribed to Janicki's Canadian Chess Scene and felt ripped off only getting 2 issues.

The punch at the Toronto CC in the 1980s was reported to police and made front page news, hence a candidate for the most public chess scandal.
            Maybe you were ripped off twice as there were three issues.

Comment

Thanks Alan! :)
              Last edited by Brad Thomson; Monday, 18th March, 2013, 12:26 PM. Reason: new post

Comment

Well Mr Dixon 14 people voted and it certainly appears that you can no longer claim the title to biggest Canadian chess scandal. And of course as Denis Allan so rightly pointed out, it doesn't even meet the definition of a scandal if it is not public.

So I hope this is the last we will hear out of you as far as making such false claims.

Comment

Working...
                X