New CFC Life Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CFC Life Member

Congratulations to Hugo Ortiz of London, Ontario, newest CFC Life Member.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Re: New CFC Life Member

Felicitaciónes Hugo!

CFC predicts I am goimg to live 30 days longer than you though.....:p

Comment

I don't think the life membership is a predictor of life expectancy. :)

I've had my CCCA life membership for at least 30 years. Of course, an organization can't get much income from life members so I send donations from time to time. Every time I get an urge to join the CFC, which I admit isn't often, I write a cheque to the CCCA.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary, are you still playing correspondence chess? I was wondering, how you got so good. Did you read a lot of books, a coach, or just play many games?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
          Hi Gary, are you still playing correspondence chess? I was wondering, how you got so good. Did you read a lot of books, a coach, or just play many games?
          That's a fair question. I concentrated on playing. I'd stopped organizing. I have a decent library of opening books and dropped some openings and defenses and substituted others which gave better chances.

Organizing takes points off a rating. When I was with the Scarborough club, when I was playing, I'd often have to leave my game with the clock running to look after something else.

I played my junior chess in Manitoba and won the provincial junior the only year I played.

One year I went to the semi-final of the correspondence world cup and that was before computers. I think I was the first Canadian to get that far in that event.

I'm not active in Correspondence chess now. My game deteriorated with age and I decided to retire rather than become an "opponent". Board 1 on a national team is stressful, or it was for me. If one doesn't play well they are letting down their team mates.

I keep thinking of making a comeback in a GM norm correspondence event but fortunately I wake up from that nightmare. :)
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
          X