CCN Editor Appointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCN Editor Appointed

John Upper has been appointed as the CCN Editor, effective May 1, 2013. This decision was the result of the recent RFP put out by the CFC. The new duties will include an added daily web feed for interesting news and articles in Canada and elsewhere (starting the first week in May). His first CCN will appear on June 1.

Mr Upper, from Ottawa has a BA and MA. He is a chess writer (appearing in Chessbase.com) and webmaster for the RACC in Ottawa. He has marketing experience in two recent successful political campaigns and was the Newsletter editor for a Community Association.

Re: CCN Editor Appointed

Congratulations John. I look forward to your first issue. :D

Comment

Re : CCN Editor Appointed

Although I would have loved to collaborate on the newsfeed... Some part of me feel relieved :) We won't have to be 7-10 volunteers from McGill working countless hours to build a website for the CFC, for the equivalent of 3-4$/hour (invested back into tournaments)... I guess our time would be better invested if we created websites for other companies, for 5 times that amount, and then gave back the money to the Chess club.

I really look forward seeing the first edition of the CCN though! Any major changes in the format or content? :)

Comment

Re: Re : CCN Editor Appointed

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Although I would have loved to collaborate on the newsfeed... Some part of me feel relieved :) We won't have to be 7-10 volunteers from McGill working countless hours to build a website for the CFC, for the equivalent of 3-4$/hour (invested back into tournaments)... I guess our time would be better invested if we created websites for other companies, for 5 times that amount, and then gave back the money to the Chess club.

I really look forward seeing the first edition of the CCN though! Any major changes in the format or content? :)
        Felix: I really wish the RFP for editor had been split in two. While I thought the voting members of the committee might do that after the fact, they chose not to. Your bid was excellent - perhaps John can still make use of you.

Comment

Congratulations to Upper, I think he is an excellent choice

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Mr Upper, from Ottawa has a BA and MA.
          In what?

Comment

Newsfeed

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            Felix: I really wish the RFP for editor had been split in two. While I thought the voting members of the committee might do that after the fact, they chose not to. Your bid was excellent - perhaps John can still make use of you.
            After the discussion on ChessTalk I thought they might split the webfeed and the newsletter too, and I do want to arrange something with the McG group who proposed running the newsfeed. At the very least, having an interested group of regular contributors has to be good thing for everyone.

PM me with email and contact info and we'll talk.

PS thanks to the CFC for choosing me, and thanks for the "thanks" above.

Comment

Re : Newsfeed

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
              After the discussion on ChessTalk I thought they might split the webfeed and the newsletter too, and I do want to arrange something with the McG group who proposed running the newsfeed. At the very least, having an interested group of regular contributors has to be good thing for everyone.

Hi John,

I was currently sending you an email (not related to the newsfeed), I guess we could discuss about the newsfeed too.

Comment

Re: Newsfeed

Congratulations John, I really like your chess-writing passions, and I think you will enjoy!

Comment

Excellent choice CFC. Congratulations John.

Comment

Masters in what John

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                      Masters in what John
                      Why so interested?

Comment

Congratulations John! Best wishes.
                        :)

Comment

Why so interested?
                          I did a M.Fin, so I'm always interested in other peoples graduate studies.

Comment

Congratulations, John!! I'll work on some material for your publication!

Cheers,
                            Frank Dixon
                            :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                              Congratulations to Upper, I think he is an excellent choice

In what?
                              Hint
                              Political Campaigns:D

Comment

Working...
                              X