Gotta love Chucky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love Chucky!

Gotta love Chucky! He's playing a Budapest Gambit today against Aronian.

Re: Gotta love Chucky!

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Gotta love Chucky! He's playing a Budapest Gambit today against Aronian.
    I guess he was asleep during the Karpov-Short match when Short threw in a Budapest for a good laugh amongst all the GM's lol
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

The annoying part about that... is that now all these advocates of sketchy gambits will start up with the "Ivanchuk plays it..." garbage.

He doesn't "play" it. He played it. And he lost without introducing any unknown ideas/moves.

I'm a big fan of Aronian, but I'd like to see him have to work as hard as Carlsen has needed to for his wins.

-Matt

Comment

Ivanchuk is awful, losing every game on time and single-handedly making the tournament a lot closer than it should be.
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
          Ivanchuk is awful, losing every game on time and single-handedly making the tournament a lot closer than it should be.

Aronian already told that this kind of play was from coffee house.

Comment

I thought Ivanchuk's opening was good and the middlegame position quite decent. He just played it way too slowly.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

After getting a sizable advantage Aronian threw away his advantage and took advantage of Ivanchuk's time trouble by attacking where he did not have enough time to play the correct defense, if he had, he would have had the better position after Aronian sac'd his queenside pawns. Something should be done for players like Ivanchuk, seriously. Don't let players in constant time trouble play in tournaments like this they skew the results and its extremely irritating to me and I'm assuming many others, especially since Carlsen has not gotten a win on time, where as Aronian has gotten two from Chucky.
              University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                I thought Ivanchuk's opening was good and the middlegame position quite decent. He just played it way too slowly.
                Speaking of Hungarians....As Geza Fuster used to say "Same move just faster."

Comment

A win on time is still a win. How does it skew the results? If a player withdraws after a number of rounds, I can see that. What it is stunning (not irritating) is the fact that a player at such level, in such important tournament, can not handle the time properly. How do they handle blitz, rapid, blindfold, etc.?
                  Chucky can't be serious, he looks more like a random player that decided to spend time with friends over a coffee...

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                    A win on time is still a win. How does it skew the results? If a player withdraws after a number of rounds, I can see that. What it is stunning (not irritating) is the fact that a player at such level, in such important tournament, can not handle the time properly. How do they handle blitz, rapid, blindfold, etc.?
                    Chucky can't be serious, he looks more like a random player that decided to spend time with friends over a coffee...
                    If a player only wins because the other loses on time, unless that players loses on time to every player who has a shot at first (right now that would be Kramnik, Carlsen and Aronian) then it skews the results by giving someone a full point in an equal position. Ivanchuk was able to keep his time trouble in check against Carlsen and drew him in a slightly better position as well as Kramnik, where as both Aronian games were basically equal and Aronian won simply due to Ivanchuk's time trouble not the quality of chess being played. Aronian is only so close to Carlsen in the standings because of this (he would be lower than Kramnik if this wasn't the case). He clearly skews the results because with some players they get a free win against Ivanchuk because of time even when the position on the board shows they most likely would not if Ivanchuk used a more reasonable amount of time like he did against Carlsen and Kramnik.

I agree with what Bindi said earlier he is the reason why Aronian is so close to Carlsen where the standings are very different from the quality of chess played between Aronian and Carlsen.
                    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Nicholson View Post
                      The annoying part about that... is that now all these advocates of sketchy gambits will start up with the "Ivanchuk plays it..." garbage.
                      Why is this annoying?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Evans View Post
                        Speaking of Hungarians....As Geza Fuster used to say "Same move just faster."
                        Vancouver chessplayers will recall this same advice in a different form. Dr Elod Macskasy, another Hungarian emigre, was often heard to say, "The same move quicker is better."

Comment

I guess GM Ivanchuk is having huge difficulty adjusting to the non-increment time controls in London. He has been in time trouble in most of his games. He is into his 40s now, and it is tougher to adjust to any changes as one gets older.

I figured, going into the event, that GM Ivanchuk and GM Gelfand, the two oldest players, would struggle compared to the others, and that has proven true. Every round brings a super-strong opponent, and the schedule is grueling; that has to wear upon anyone. GM Gelfand, also well into his 40s, started slowly but has played better in recent rounds.

I think, with four rounds left, counting today, that GMs Carlsen, Aronian, and Kramnik are the only ones who can win the tournament. But in chess you never know for sure; that's why they play the games. GM Carlsen has been fortunate to escape losing against both GMs Radjabov and Kramnik.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                            If a player only wins because the other loses on time, unless that players loses on time to every player who has a shot at first (right now that would be Kramnik, Carlsen and Aronian) then it skews the results by giving someone a full point in an equal position.
                            A player has a right to decide for himself how long he thinks for a move on his own time. If you don't like the concept then change the rules.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

People lose on time because they are given a difficult position and they use up their time to solve it. No different than people dropping pawns or otherwise falling apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X