Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Girls' Chess Championship

Farewell to Ontario Girls' Chess Championship :(

I regret to inform you that I will no longer be running the Ontario Girls' Chess Championship. The OGCC has been a great success for the past 10 years and has received a tremendous amount of support. We have had an amazing turn out of girls participating each year with a record number of 146 participants in 2012. I sincerely hope that girls’ involvement in chess will continue to climb. I will be posting information regarding the possibility of someone else running OGCC 2013 and I encourage you all to continue to participate in this great event among others.

Corinna

http://senecahillchess.com/2013/02/1...-championship/

Re: Ontario Girls' Chess Championship

Thank you Corinna. :)

You have done splendid job with this tournament over the past 10 years. I am happy to report that the Mississauga Chess Club will be hosting this event this year on Sunday, May 12th at our clubhouse at the U of T Mississauga campus. We are just finalizing some details now. The tournament flyer and announcement will be out shortly.

Comment

Ontario Girls’ Chess Championship 2013

Girls, please come celebrate the 11th year of the
      OGCC on Sunday, May 12th, 2013

New location
      University of Toronto (Mississauga Campus)
      3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, Faculty Lounge, 3rd floor
      Visit website for directions: www.mississaugachessclub.ca

Entry fee: $25 per player.
      5 round Swiss pairings, Time control: 25 minutes each.
      Sections: U8, U10, U12, U14, U16, U18
      (Sections will be combined where numbers warrant)

Trophies will be awarded to top 3 girls in each section.
      As a bonus feature this year, this is a qualifying tournament for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship. Players achieving a score of 2.5 or better will qualify (subject to approval of the CFC Youth Coordinator) to participate in the CYCC in Ottawa in July 2013.

To register, please email rgillanders@cogeco.ca by midnight on May 9th. Space is limited, so please register early. Late fee is $5.

Players please check in between 12-12:30pm to confirm registration and to pay entry fees. Rounds starting at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm.
      Presentation of trophies: 6:15-6:30pm.

Tournament Director: Bob Gillanders
      CFC and CMA rated.
      Parking: $6 all day Sunday flat rate.
      Side events for siblings and parents
      Light refreshments provided.

Visit www.miltonchess.ca for further details.

Comment

Some interesting debates are in progress as to how do we promote chess to women. I am sure we all agree that women are severely underrepresented in the chess community. Girls, not quite as bad. But how do we keep the girls interested so that they don't quit?

Please consider becoming a sponsor for the Ontario Girls' Chess Championship. Entry fees are expected to cover all the tournament expenses, plus trophies for the winners. But can we do more to encourage the girls to continue playing? Yes, we can.

This year we are introducing a sponsored bursary program. 100% of funds raised through sponsors will be returned to the girls via bursary awards towards entry fees in future tournaments. Sponsors can be corporations, small businesses, chess clubs, or individuals. Please considering being a sponsor yourself and support womens' chess in Canada. Thanks.

If you are interested, please send an email to rgillanders@cogeco.ca

Comment

As I understand it, last year the winners represented Ontario in a match against Quebec (CMA event) held in Kingston. The match is scheduled for June 8th this year. I am awaiting further details from CMA and confirmation that our winners will again represent Ontario. :)

Comment

I would like to thank the various organizers who are helping to circulate the tournament flyer.
            The registrations are now starting to trickle in. :)

Comment

Hi Bob,

We gave out free CFC memberships to the winners in the NYYCC because they need one to play in the CYCC.

We can offer your top girl of each section the same.

Two girls (Kylie and Tiffany) had already got it from NYYCC. It is up to you to give that to them if they win again or the second placed girl.

What do you think?

Corinna

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post
                Hi Bob,

We gave out free CFC memberships to the winners in the NYYCC because they need one to play in the CYCC.

We can offer your top girl of each section the same.

Two girls (Kylie and Tiffany) had already got it from NYYCC. It is up to you to give that to them if they win again or the second placed girl.

What do you think?

Corinna
                I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you offering to sponsor CFC memberships to the winners who are not members?

Comment

I am offering a year CFC membership to the first placed winner of each section or combined section.
                  I mentioned the two girls because they have won one in our CYCC qualifier. If they win again, they will win a total of two years' membership. You may want to give this prize to the next girl instead. Your decision.
                  For the other girls, if they have already had the membership, I will just extend it for one more year.
                  Still , please email me.

Comment

Thank you Corinna. That is very generous of you.

Comment

Three weeks till the tournament.
                      The preregistered list is now up, just 12 registered to date.
                      We expect between 50 and 100 players.
                      There will be door prizes for those first 50 registered only, so why wait.

There is also a new jazzed up poster on the website. Thanks Garvin.

www.miltonchess.ca

Please print out a few flyers for us and pass them around.

Comment

Has this tournament always been scheduled on Mother's Day? This sounds like a great event for my daughter but we typically spend this day with family.

Comment

Yes unfortunately, the tournament is on Mothers Day. :(
                          Sorry, but it was the only date we could get at this site.
                          To make it up to all the Mothers in attendance, we'll have a Mothers Day cake.

I am happy to report that Liza Orlova has joined our team of volunteers. Liza has represented Canada at the World Youth Championships and the Chess Olympiad on numerous occasions. I just learned she has her own You Tube channel. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFNfQetSlE

I think if we ask her real nice, she would do a simul at the tournament. :D

Some of you have been asking about side events for the siblings. I have been slow at posting details, but yes we intend on having events for everyone. So girls, your little brothers are welcome.

Comment

New colour tournament flyers available at our website:

www.miltonchess.ca

Comment

We have 20 confirmed players to date. We expect 50 -100 girls in total.
                              Please register early to be eligible for early bird door prizes. :)

www.miltonchess.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X