Why I Supported The Motion For Womens CFC Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Supported The Motion For Womens CFC Titles

The CFC governors are voting on whether to create master and candidates titles for women that are slightly easier to achieve than normal candidates and masters titles.

After reading the various arguments back and forth on the issue I came to Iulia Lacau-Rodean's post (which I've re-posted below in italics) which I found made the most compelling arguments.

The basic idea is that if the number of women is very low (the number estimated is 3%) then what you would be doing is just creating a couple of rewards for a low number of existing players.

I agreed with the argument made in the governor's forum that these titles will not attract new players to the CFC. So the benefit of adding these incentives would be to reward a small subset of existing members.

Then Mr. Dutton's argument is compelling: Marketing to your existing customers is a more logical use of your efforts than to some imaginary group that might join in the future.

Again, because the numbers (of females) are so low its not as if its going to harm the rest of chess. (You aren't going to harm the existing NM title if were talking a handful of 3% of the chess population that would even qualify for the title.)

At some future point I believe this motion (if passed) will have to be reassessed. If the number of female chess players has greatly increased I could see a sunset clause being added (that is, a five or ten year end date) or some other method of phasing out this ruling. On the other hand if things never change the rule would in theory last forever.

So it is my hope that the rule one day dies..

From: Iulia Lacau-Rodean This sender is in your contact list.
    Sent: April-04-13 7:26:06 PM
    To: Vladimir Drkulec
    Thank you for defending the motion on my behalf as well. I wasn't sure what the protocol was, whether as initiator you do get to participate in the debate or not. I did see you have couple of posts. Maybe I should comment something. I am quite outraged by some of the posts. This is why I haven't really posted anything on chess forums and stopped reading them for a while. Maybe I am not tough enough to deal with some of the harsh criticisms, esp having to refute people's views of how this motion would devalue the master's title, how it adds to the glass ceiling etc. What do they know about the chess glass ceiling anyways? None of the other governors have been stuck underneath it. Most of the girls I've spoken to all over the world have no problem competing in women's only events and obtaining titles for them. Lots of other sports are segregated by gender. As you said, if some women would be offended by the title, do not accept it.

I do urge that this motion be approved, it will be a great motivator for women in chess. How many active women are currently over 2100 CFC and less than 2200 CFC? Perhaps 3. 3 out of 100 women on the active list. That is 3%. What is so wrong with having another handful of women striving to achieve that goal (of the ones over 2000 CFC) and another perhaps 10 that are currently over 1900? How can anyone think it's detrimental to women's Canadian chess?

I am stumped.

Again, thanks for your time and effort put into this motion. Feel free to quote part or all of this on the forum.

Best wishes,
    Iulia Lacau-Rodean
    Women's Coordinator
    Canadian Chess Federation

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Why I Supported The Motion For Womens CFC Titles

With this issue there are two approaches, the Principled and the Pragmatic.
    The Principled argument accepts that women cannot compete with men on equal terms in physical sports, but finds the idea that women are 'inferior' in mainly intellectual pursuits to be offensive. Hence the view that women's titles and separate competitions in chess are inappropriate.
    The Pragmatic view (mine) is that, for whatever reason (and this is an entirely separate debate!) there are far fewer strong female chessplayers than male. If we eliminate separate treatment, high level chess would become like motor sports, with a handful of women (e.g. Danica Patrick in NASCAR) competing against a large majority of men. Is that what we want? Why not do something to encourage more women to compete (and CONTINUE competing), while still allowing (and encouraging!) the most ambitious and talented ones to compete alongside the men?

Comment

What got created exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
        What got created exactly?
        7c. Women's CFC Titles (Moved/Seconded Vlad Drkulec / Julia Lacau-Rodean)
        Drkulec - Lacau-Rodean Women's CFC titles

It is proposed that we add two new CFC titles for women and girls. The titles are Woman National Master and Woman National Candidate Master. The requirements for the Woman National Master title would be the same as the current requirements for the current National Candidate Master title which are three performances in tournaments of at least five games at 2100 or higher or attaining a CFC rating of 2100.

The requirements for the Woman Candidate Master title would be the same as the requirements for the current Class A title which require three performances in tournaments of at least five games at 1900 or attaining a CFC rating of 1900.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Ok thanks

So by calling something currently in place for everyone something different with a 'W' in the name will encourage more girls to

-do more chess work
          -play better
          -get better results
          etc

and more girls will join the CFC?

Comment

After the posting of the motion, Vlad Drkulec goes on to write (in the discussion thread on the motion - see the CFC Discussion Board for that):

This is the current usual cutoff range for qualification for the Canadian woman's Olympiad team. The hope is that this would encourage more women and girls to continue to participate in chess for a longer period of time and also to give recognition to the women and girls who have attained this level of performance in Canadian chess.

Currently in Canada we do not have the level of female representation in chess tournaments and CFC membership that are seen in the United States. My observations in Windsor are that the level of chess interest in girls is about the same as that of boys but over time they become discouraged from playing by the observation that there are few other girls playing. It is hoped by making the top Canadian women more visible by offering this recognition that girls will continue playing chess in an effort to attain the additional titles and achieve similar recognition as the top titles.

Initially I thought to offer intermediate titles which would require norms in the 2200 level range for the WNM title and 2000 range for the WNCM title but after consultations with my co-sponsor and with governors have amended the levels to where they are attainable by Canada's top women and girls. Once the WNM title was set it made sense to make the WNCM title levels two hundred points below the higher title to be consistent with all of our other titles. For the most part implementation of this would merely require editing the web page that currently lists the NCM title holders to include the title Woman National Master and the web page that currently lists the class A titled players to include the Woman National Canadidate Master title. Women that wish a printed certificate could ask for one for the usual charge with the Women's National Master title certificate being offered for free as is the usual practice for the National Master title.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 7th April, 2013, 07:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Ok thanks

So by calling something currently in place for everyone something different with a 'W' in the name will encourage more girls to

-do more chess work
              -play better
              -get better results
              etc

The motion wasn't worded too accurately afaik. Afaik the criteria for gaining the NM title as far as males go remains harder to achieve, for example.

Comment

I will be shocked if this works or even comes close to working or even has makes a mcron's worth of difference.

P.S. Does the guy who says 'The emperor has no clothes...' get executed in the end?

Comment

Ok thanks

-do more chess work
                  -play better
                  -get better results
                  etc

Since it looks like the motion is going to pass, the ball might be seen as now being in the court of Canadian chess organizers regarding your question, Michael, given that it's up to organizers to decide whether to give any sort of breaks on entries (or any other perks) to at least anyone awarded a WNM title (if not WCM), if any organizers wish to.

Otherwise, it is hoped just receiving such an award is at least a nice thing, especially for girls, as my quote of Vlad Drkulec elaborated more upon.
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 7th April, 2013, 07:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I will be shocked if this works or even comes close to working or even has makes a mcron's worth of difference.

P.S. Does the guy who says 'The emperor has no clothes...' get executed in the end?
                    Hi Michael:

I am favourable towards "Women-only" tournaments, as I am towards Seniors-only tournaments, and junior-only tournaments. There is no reason they cannot co-exist alongside the "open" tournaments. And we do see that most, if not all, active Canadian women players, play the vast majority of their games in the "open" tournaments. And as such, they may be successful in achieving "open" titles, such as the Canadian "National Master" title.

What I have posted against, is a whole separate, parallel Women's System, fundamentally identified by "women's titles", similar to "open titles", but achievable with a substantially lower performance.

However, having said that, so long as we do have women's titles, supported by the majority it seems clear, it seems to me these new women's titles will give women, especially fast-improving girls, something to shoot for, and some recognition of their improving level of play. I think they will be seen by women as milestones of value, the same way some players value the fairly low achievement "Class A" certificates/titles (like me).

On the motion, however, I abstained, because, as Ken Kurkowski has so nicely put it above, I am on the side of the "Principled" argument, and don't believe in the women's titles. So I thought it best to leave it to those who support this separate, parallel women's system, to determine how to "improve" it.

Bob A

Comment

Ken wrote:

...high level chess would become like motor sports, with a handful of women...
                      Are there any NASCAR races for female drivers only? Are there horse races for female jockeys only? Would (does) anyone attend (or care)?

Comment

Womens CFC Titles

Well, I don't believe there's any rational reason for the 'W' titles to work but given that the cost to implement is low and the potential benefit is high, I would have voted yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          Ken wrote:

Are there any NASCAR races for female drivers only? Are there horse races for female jockeys only? Would (does) anyone attend (or care)?
                          I imagine yes, there would be at least some watchers.

I'd watch sometimes, at least if it was on TV and there were close up camera shots at times, plus interviews.
                          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 7th April, 2013, 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Re : Re: Why I Supported The Motion For Womens CFC Titles

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Hi Michael:

I am favourable towards "Women-only" tournaments, as I am towards Seniors-only tournaments, and junior-only tournaments. There is no reason they cannot co-exist alongside the "open" tournaments. And we do see that most, if not all, active Canadian women players, play the vast majority of their games in the "open" tournaments. And as such, they may be successful in achieving "open" titles, such as the Canadian "National Master" title.

What I have posted against, is a whole separate, parallel Women's System, fundamentally identified by "women's titles", similar to "open titles", but achievable with a substantially lower performance.
                            Agreed.
                            What actually shocks me is that these titles will absolutely not change anything. Instead of really trying to do anything new or to help women in a concrete way, governors voted for this to say they tried something and will stop there. In the end, the situation of women in chess won't be better after this.
                            The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Why I Supported The Motion For Womens CFC Titles

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                              In the end, the situation of women in chess won't be better after this.
                              Women may use these titles in self promotion.
                              Fide has titles for women with lower rating or requirements. Many many girls, including Canadians, try to coquer them. I do not hear complains about those W titles.

Imho, the motion should have been less resonant than a coach motion.

Comment

Working...
                              X