The World Youth Chess Championships and Women’s Chess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World Youth Chess Championships and Women’s Chess.

The World Youth Chess Championships and Women’s Chess.

The following article was recently posted on the Facebook page of the Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) - and is somewhat provocative:

WYCC/WYCC Qualifiers

In the Judeo-Christian context, God rested on the 7th day of the week. However, CCC has chosen the 7th day of the month to work - to explore “moderate chess reform”!!

CCC presents another of its “ 7th day chess reform issues “! (Of course, real life may intervene to push our post a bit before or after the 7th). Here we investigate “ possible “ moderate chess reform actions – these may be at the international/FIDE level, or at the national federation level, or at the local level (re chess clubs, tournament organization, etc.). Whether they are to be pursued by CCC is dependent on the general response to the “ reform posts “. Have your say!! Post a comment!

(If you have an issue you’d like debated, send us an e-mail ( cooperativechesscoalition@gmail.com ) and if possible, insert a summary of your arguments. We’ll use them, alone, or in the context of one of our own posts. )

Girls’ Chess & the WYCC

Currently, FIDE runs the World Youth Chess Championships in two parallel tournaments: the “open” tournament; the “girls’” tournament. And because they do this, many national federations choose their top three representatives to all the age/gender sections in the very same, parallel tournaments, way.

Is there a problem with this??

I think so. And it goes directly to the issue of “women’s chess”. FIDE, and national federations, all mouth the goal of increasing the no. of women in chess, both internationally and nationally. And they claim to hope to develop “female role models” who will promote the game to women, and attract more women to take up the game.

Is the parallel and separate Girls’ WYCC helpful in this cause?? I say “NO”.

Why not?? Well the problem is the dilemma this system puts all junior girls in. What is the dilemma? The dilemma is that they must choose between two competing systems. They may be good enough to challenge boys for first place in the “open” sections. But they may have greater odds of winning in the weaker “girls’ section”. Which do they choose? Statistics show that overwhelmingly, even the good girl players choose the “girls’ section”. Though there is definitely more status in winning an “open section world championship”, if the odds are better in the “girls’ section”, there is a tremendous pressure on them, and often from their parents, to not enter the “open” section.

And how does this play out in the national WYCC Qualifier tournaments. Well, in Canada, the problem is mainly the bursaries. Girls may need the financial assistance to go to the WYCC of winning a national title. And so the pressure is on to go into the weaker “girls’ section”, where the chances of winning are much higher.

Why is this a problem? The answer is progress in women’s chess. And the need for “girls’ role models”. What is needed most is girls’ winning “open section titles”. This is the best proof of women’s progress in chess at the junior girl level. And the girl winner will be celebrated for winning the “difficult” title. But sadly this is not happening, nor is it going to happen, given the FIDE system. The strong girls in their age categories are NOT PLAYING in the “open” section. As the slogan for lotteries goes: “You can’t win, if you don’t play!” So how then, are we going to develop a presentation to the public of girls’ progress in chess…in competition with boys?? None are winning, because none are playing. So we have no good, positive role models to present to the public. And no one can blame the girls for their choice – when the whole attractiveness is with the “girls’ system”, it is pretty irresistible.

So what is the solution? I propose that FIDE eliminate the junior girls’ age section separate tournaments, but not the titles. Let all girls play in the “open” section. Suddenly the odds of girls winning world championships skyrockets. And the top finishing girl in each section, can still be awarded the title of U xx Girls’ World Champion. And if they won the “open” title, they win both titles!!

If FIDE did this, the national federations would follow suit with their WYCC qualifiers. And women’s chess around the world would progress, and their would be good girl champion role models to present to the world mainstream media.

An idea worth debate at the highest levels of FIDE, I believe.

If you have opinions, one way or the other, on this chess reform proposal, come post a “comment” and state your position and reasons. Let’s have a debate first here within CCC – Chess Posts of Interest. Then “Likes” can spread the debate into their own countries. Can we start a world debate on this??

Bob Armstrong, CCC Member (Canada)

Re: The World Youth Chess Championships and Women’s Chess.

Will not take the stinky bait.... Will not take the stinky bait....

Comment

Dear Bob,
      We (millions of us) wait the day when women are "equal" to men throughout the world. That day will bring dignity to mankind.
      When we look at the status of women in Canada and many countries, your proposal looks possible. But your proposal is for FIDE which includes many countries where women are not allowed to attend events where men are present!!!!
      In a subset of those countries ,even to have women pursue chess is look-down upon.
      The conditions required to move forward are not here yet.
      Regards
      Mario

Comment

Within our grasp though...

For the CFC to have a policy such as:

The Canadian olympic team shall consist of a women and a men's team and NO team will be sent unless we can send BOTH teams.

Would be progress in my mind.
        Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
          Within our grasp though...

For the CFC to have a policy such as:

The Canadian olympic team shall consist of a women and a men's team and NO team will be sent unless we can send BOTH teams.

Would be progress in my mind.
          Mario
          Or perhaps slightly more positively: If only one team can be sent it will either be the women's team or the men's team on an alternating basis; starting with the women's team going the first time only one team can be sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            Or perhaps slightly more positively: If only one team can be sent it will either be the women's team or the men's team on an alternating basis; starting with the women's team going the first time only one team can be sent.
            I'm surprised it's so easy to get players. The results live forever. You can go on the internet and see how players performed 50 years ago or more in those events.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I'm surprised it's so easy to get players. The results live forever. You can go on the internet and see how players performed 50 years ago or more in those events.
              That's probably also true of varsity events in the USA, for all sorts of events - track and field, basketball etc. And don't forget Al Bundy scored 3 touchdowns in one game for Polk high.
              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 8th April, 2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

And don't forget Al Bundy scored 3 touchdowns in one game for Polk high.
                I don't follow football much. College football not at all. Who's Al Bundy?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There is no men team anymore. It is called NATIONAL. Thus it would be very weird if the National team is left at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    I don't follow football much. College football not at all. Who's Al Bundy?
                    A fictional shoe salesman from the Fox show (in re-runs) Married With Children.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      Thanks. I never watched that show. I still like John Wayne reruns on AMC. :)

I don't think all that many people realize how it feels to be playing a team event Olympiad, either OTB or correspondence, and feeling they haven't performed all that well even though they've been trying. You go over the tables and think if only I'd have been able to make a draw in this match or have won in some other match.

Maybe some players don't care but that wasn't how I felt.

I had a very disappointing score in one CC Olympiad (my last one) and it's no consolation my performance rating was an IM norm. It still wasn't good enough.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        There is no men team anymore. It is called NATIONAL. Thus it would be very weird if the National team is left at home.
                        And are all the players on the national team men? Can the women's team composed of Canadians not also be a national team representing Canada? Doesn't FIDE invite both men's and women's national teams from many nations? If you are suggesting the women's team is not representing our nation, who do you suggest they represent, if anything?
                        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 8th April, 2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          Whose one lifetime achievement, set against an otherwise dreary life as a loser, was, as he would tell anyone and everyone who would listen, his Polk high touchdown record.

Comment

Women's World Inequality & the WYCC

Hi Mario:

What you say re disparity of women's equality in different countries is true.

But each federation, even in developing nations, or nations where women's status is inferiorly institutionalized, do send girls to the WYCC. They have a wide variety of methods for determining their national representatives ( not all have like we do, a Girls' CYCC).

This does not affect the benefit of eliminating the Girls' WYCC, in favour of promotion of the integrated "open" WYCC. All countries will still send their reps, only to the "open" youth sections, not the "girls' youth sections". This would be good for women's chess, and chess as a whole.

Bob A

Comment

And are all the players on the national team men? Can the women's team composed of Canadians not also be a national team representing Canada? Doesn't FIDE invite both men's and women's national teams from many nations? If you are suggesting the women's team is not representing our nation, who do you suggest they represent, if anything?
                              Do you get: there are NATIONAL and WOMEN teams who participate in Olympiad.
                              National is open to everyone who can make it.
                              Women is limited to women.

FIDE calls Olympiad sections: OPEN and Women. Some women in other countries manage to get in OPEN (national) teams. Maybe some when Canadian Natioanl teams will be 50%-50% :D Then maybe the Women program (team) will abolished.

Comment

Working...
                              X