The World Youth Chess Championships and Women’s Chess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's World Inequality & the WYCC

Bob,
    The effect of "role models" alone as a method of increasing the numbers of girls playing is , in my view over-estimated..

I see a FIDE dictum eliminating the Girls division (in WYCC) causing a lowering of popularity of chess in all countries. As many countries will not allow girls to play in their Open teams. And in the countries that allow them to compete with the boys the social relations and status of women in these countries will dwindle the number of girls to almost none. With the probable exception of Iceland.
    It has taken a lot of effort to get the few women engineers we have today.
    Mario

Comment

Re: Re : The World Youth Chess Championships and Women’s Chess.

Can you give an example(s)?
      Can women make it to the "National" team? Yes,no doubt.
      My point is not about getting some role models so that more girls start playing chess but to keep the conditions that start and keep the ones playing now.

Mario Moran-Venegas

Comment

Hi Mario:

Of course the highest visibility women players for their country on the "National (Open)" team in the Olympiad, are the Polgar sisters for Hungary. And there are others.

This is great for publicity for women's chess - something the mainstream media considers "news".

I am concerned about one of your points though. That if FIDE went with the WYCC to only the "open youth sections", some countries would not send so many girls to play in it, as they now do the girls sections. But I don't know why they would do this, if the girl still had the same chance to win a girls' title, by just finishing as the highest girl in the section.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 10th April, 2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

The CCC's original intentions for the WYCC are good...But to give an African example:
          The Lagos(Nigeria)'s government intentions are good in trying to "clean" the squatters around Lagos. But the policy that should be followed is " Do not bulldoze those shanty towns unless you are immediately providing "BETTER" housing to those affected"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Mario:

Of course the highest visibility women players for their country on the "National (Open)" team in the Olympiad, are the Polgar sisters for Hungary. And there are others.

This is great for publicity for women's chess - something the mainstream media considers "news".

I am concerned about one of your points though. That if FIDE went with the WYCC to only the "open youth sections", some countries would not send so many girls to play in it, as they now do the girls sections. But I don't know why they would do this, if the girl still had the same chance to win a girls' title, by just finishing as the highest girl in the section.

Bob
            In some countries girls can get beaten, flogged or jailed for being in the presence of an unrelated male. In one country, there has been one or more instances where the sister of the male who was in the presence of an unrelated female was sexually assaulted as punishment of her brother by multiple males sanctioned by a local tribal council. Surely you can't be totally unaware of these situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              In some countries girls can get beaten, flogged or jailed for being in the presence of an unrelated male. In one country, there has been one or more instances where the sister of the male who was in the presence of an unrelated female was sexually assaulted as punishment of her brother by multiple males sanctioned by a local tribal council. Surely you can't be totally unaware of these situations.
              Hi Vlad:

I am aware of the problem of some countries sending girls to play in an "open" WYCC section.

I am unsure what to say about this.

In countries espousing women's equality, do we say to FIDE that institutionalized discrimination against women trumps women's equality?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
                The CCC's original intentions for the WYCC are good...But to give an African example:
                The Lagos(Nigeria)'s government intentions are good in trying to "clean" the squatters around Lagos. But the policy that should be followed is " Do not bulldoze those shanty towns unless you are immediately providing "BETTER" housing to those affected"
                Hi Mario:

Thanks for the compliment on "intention". As a technical matter, the position on FIDE WYCC being discussed is NOT CCC's position. CCC hosts a series called "the 7th day Reform Issues" series. It posts articles by others, including CCC members ( this one was by me as a CCC member), which CCC feels are worthy of debate. Should an issue gain traction, judged by viewer response, the CCC may start discussing internally whether it should formally adopt the position and promote it. And we will have the most positive result hoped for - girls starting to win "open" sections!

And the "better home" for world girls already exists!! It's called the WYCC "Open" Section! Girls will not be shortchanged, because girl championships will still be won by them, by being the highest finishing girl. And we will have the most positive result hoped for - girls starting to win "open" sections.

Bob

Comment

Hello Bob,
                  I agree that in countries where the status of women/girls warrants it the "better home" (Open section only) is an improvement. But the there are no roads to the "better home " in some countries. Let us not forget (as an example) that women were just (2012) given permission to drive in Saudi Arabia.
                  Mario

Comment

Working...
                  X