Chennai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chennai

I have searched all the usual suspect websites trying to find an FIDE press release about the WCC in Chennai but there was nothing.

In the spot on FIDE.com where I would have expected to find the news, there is just a box with text congratulating President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov on the occasion of his 51st birthday and a wish for his continued health and strength in that responsible position.

I forgot to write down the link for those who want to send cards and presents. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
      I have searched all the usual suspect websites trying to find an FIDE press release about the WCC in Chennai but there was nothing.

In the spot on FIDE.com where I would have expected to find the news, there is just a box with text congratulating President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov on the occasion of his 51st birthday and a wish for his continued health and strength in that responsible position.

I forgot to write down the link for those who want to send cards and presents. Sorry.
      Klaatu Barada Nikto
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Ah, that takes me back! When my little brother and I emerged from the theatre that was showing The Day the Earth Stood Still back in ’51, we said “Klaatu barada nikto” to each other and did so for weeks. Because we did, Gort did not appear and there was no devastation.

I hesitate to say it right now unless there is a chance that Kirsan will destroy world chess. Wait a minute, he already...

Comment

I think that a player is entitled to an appearance fee when he is forced to play in the other players home country. I think I read that Anand got $300000 for playing the match against Topalov in Bulgaria on top of the prize fund.

Comment

Chess originated in India... but they don't get to showcase many prominent events. I say - let them have the WC.

Carlsen is enough of a professional to just "play chess". And so is Vishy. Home court advantage is greatly overrated in chess, methinks. Its not like playing in your home rink, ball park, or America's Cup yacht course, where knowledge of the nuances of the venue can give you an edge.

It would nevertheless not surprise me if an Indian politician publicly announced they had been given the rights to host the event, without first securing FIDE approval...

I've been to Tamil Nadu once, in early October. Not Chennai, but it was nice/pleasant enough.

Comment

From the NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting System) website:

http://www.nrk.no/sport/carlsen-kamp...dia-1.10979319

- In principle the Match should be held on neutral ground. It has been a tradition in the past and it is what seems most fair to me said Carlsen.

- It is strange that this time they are skipping the bidding. There is great interest in this fight and now they have the opportunity to get very interesting offers said Carlsen’s manager, Espen Agdestein. They made a deal under the table. I find it strange and very silly he said.

- There has not been any confirmation of where the World Cup match will be played but FIDE said the fight most likely would be held in Chennai.

- This is not a neutral ground, and in addition there will be a different climate and food for Carlsen said Agdestein.

- Carlsen is still unsure of how much the choice of location will have on the outcome of the match. “I cannot say anything until I have seen the playing conditions,” he said.

- Joran Aulin-Jansson, President of the Norwegian Chess Association is not thrilled at the news, but if FIDE approves Chennai, there is not much he and his Association can do about it.

- Nigel Freeman at FIDE believes that the Norwegian Chess president has no reason to complain, “It is not up to the candidates but for FIDE to decide where it should be held”, he said to NRK.

- Next week a representative from FIDE will go to Chennai to assess the arena and what the Indian Chess Association has to offer.

- There have been games that have been arranged in non-neutral locations previously. When Anand played against Veselin Topalov, it was in Bulgaria, which is his homeland. Anand has been world champion a long time and there has never been a World Cup match in India before. We must ensure that the conditions are the same for both players, said Freeman.

Comment

Leonard Barden in The Guardian this morning:

Chennai, formerly Madras, has proclaimed an early victory in what promised to be a protracted global struggle to stage the eagerly awaited Vishy Anand v Magnus Carlsen world championship match in November. Chennai is Anand's home city, whose Tamil Nadu government announced a $3.5m budget for the series.

Chennai was the underbidder for Anand v Boris Gelfand staged in Moscow last year, and Fide, the international chess body, promised India first refusal for 2013 without any bidding process. Organisational and other costs mean that the prize fund for the players will struggle to equal the $2.5m of Anand v Gelfand, a far less exciting match.
                The Agon firm and its US boss Andrew Paulson, who are officially in charge of the commercial rights to Anand v Carlsen, said earlier that their preferred location was New York but that there was also interest from Miami, St Tropez, Paris, and Tromso. The Norwegian town is already hosting the 2013 World Cup and the 2014 world team Olympiad.

Team Carlsen is unlikely to be content with playing on Indian soil, as the 22-year-old challenger has no experience of competing in hot climates. The world No 1 could refuse to sign the contract, while Chennai's preemptive strike may also be countered by a significantly higher bid from one or more of its rivals. Fide is potentially at loggerheads with Agon. Watch this space.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...hy-anand-chess
                +++++++

(Someone has suggested that since Dubai is half-way between Chennai and Tromso, that would be the ideal venue! My world map puts Turkey as the mid-point but I will not quibble.)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                  (Someone has suggested that since Dubai is half-way between Chennai and Tromso, that would be the ideal venue! My world map puts Turkey as the mid-point but I will not quibble.)
                  Actually Baghdad (Iraq) is almost equidistant: 2,651.5 miles from Madras and 2,693 miles from Tromso.
                  Ilyumzhinov would be delighted.

Comment

Working...
                  X