Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Title Without Being 2200

Hello Everyone

I was wondering whether it is possible to become a FIDE Master (FM) without ever having a rating above 2200? Has this ever been accomplished before?

Thanks,

Alex
    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
    http://www.ozchess.com

Re: FM Title Without Being 2200

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post
    Hello Everyone

I was wondering whether it is possible to become a FIDE Master (FM) without ever having a rating above 2200? Has this ever been accomplished before?

Thanks,

Alex
    I've played an IM who was sub 2200 (and never stronger). You do this by winning the title in a special event (don't have to win the event, just do well enough)

e.g. at a zonal tournament (Canada gets a number of IMs that way, I think the current regulation is one IM title for a score of at least 67% but that might be out of date. FM titles are awarded in Canada's zonal for top non FM with at least some percentage score)

or at things like the WYCC. Titles are awarded to the winner of each age group - title depends on the age group. The U10 winner gets an FM for example.
    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Tuesday, 9th April, 2013, 01:07 AM. Reason: additional comment

Comment

Hello Everyone

Thanks,

Alex
      I was an FM with FIDE 2131. Living legend.

Comment

There was even a GM in the 2200ish range... I seem to think he was Iraqi for some reason. He earned the title in the Olympiad, causing them to change the rules about how the medals (and thus titles) are awarded.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : FM Title Without Being 2200

There are even unrated FMs (mostly from WYCCs I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            zonal tournament (Canada gets a number of IMs that way,.. FM titles are awarded in Canada's zonal for top non FM with at least some percentage score)
            Does anyone know how many Canadians got their IM/FM titles by ratings and norms?

Like Roger mentioned many Canadian IM, FM, WIM and WFM got their titles at Canadian closed and some of the players arrived in Canada as titled players

Canada
            IM 33 / FM 76
            WIM 9 / WFM 10

Comment

Re : FM Title Without Being 2200

There aren't many people that won the IM title at a zonal and later didn't get a rating over 2400 (and would have earned the title anyway with norms).

Here are the only ones I found about which I'm not sure (FIDE rating progress does not go far enough):
              Arthur Calugar
              Duong, Thanh Nha
              Piasetski, Leon
              Ross, David
              Livshits, Ron
              Glinert, Stephen
              Richard Wang

Typically, title winners at the zonals are young players and in most cases it's just a matter of time before they would earn the title.

Comment

Anyone who wins the Siamese Chess Tournament at a Chess Camp in Ottawa is immediately awarded the Grandmaster title. No less a personage than Tom O'Donnell is in proud possession of this rare distinction.

Comment

Re: Re : FM Title Without Being 2200

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                  There aren't many people that won the IM title at a zonal and later didn't get a rating over 2400 (and would have earned the title anyway with norms).

Here are the only ones I found about which I'm not sure (FIDE rating progress does not go far enough):
                  Arthur Calugar
                  Duong, Thanh Nha
                  Piasetski, Leon
                  Ross, David
                  Livshits, Ron
                  Glinert, Stephen
                  Richard Wang

Typically, title winners at the zonals are young players and in most cases it's just a matter of time before they would earn the title.
                  Lets not lump in Leon Piasetski, Stephen Glinert, Ron Livshits, and David Ross with the rest. Leon Piasetski was over 2400 so was Stephen Glinert. Ron Livshits and David Ross were definitely that strength.

Comment

The easiest way to see if someone has been over 2400 FIDE is to check their current K-value in FIDE. If you've ever hit 2400+ on a rating list you permanently change to K10. Look at any of their rated tournaments to find this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      Lets not lump in Leon Piasetski, Stephen Glinert, Ron Livshits, and David Ross with the rest. Leon Piasetski was over 2400 so was Stephen Glinert. Ron Livshits and David Ross were definitely that strength.
                      Are you saying they were all rated over 2400 FIDE?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                        Probably you knew how to deliver Checkmate. :D
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                          How did you become an FM if you were only rated 2131 at the time? Did you win some kind of special tournament?

Just to clarify, you are saying that it is possible to become an FM without ever having a 2200 rating?

OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
                          http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Are you saying they were all rated over 2400 FIDE?
                            No - two over - the others very close but the other 3 were so far away its ridiculous.

Comment

How did you become an FM if you were only rated 2131 at the time? Did you win some kind of special tournament?

Just to clarify, you are saying that it is possible to become an FM without ever having a 2200 rating?

Yes its possible and been done many times. Winning some youth events can get you a FM title without a FIDE rating

Comment

Working...
                              X