Montreal - blitz tournaments return to Cafe Pi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal - blitz tournaments return to Cafe Pi!

Blitz at Montreal's Cafe Pi! Sunday, April 14 (and the first Sunday of every month) at 3 pm. Cafe Pi, 4127 St.Laurent, Montreal.

Two GM's (Sambuev et Kovalyov)!
    Entry fees: $15 (GM's: free: IM's: $5).
    Please bring your digital clock with incrementation!
    Time control: 3m+2s incrementation.
    20 players maximum.

Re: Montreal - blitz tournaments return to Cafe Pi!

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Blitz at Montreal's Cafe Pi! Sunday, April 14 (and the first Sunday of every month) at 3 pm. Cafe Pi, 4127 St.Laurent, Montreal.

Two GM's (Sambuev et Kovalyov)!
    Entry fees: $15 (GM's: free: IM's: $5).
    Please bring your digital clock with incrementation!
    Time control: 3m+2s incrementation.
    20 players maximum.
    Is 3m+2s standard now in Montreal?

I occasionally try to get people to play it but most people seem reluctant to abandon G/5m

Comment

I am planning to play the World Blitz in Russia this year and they are using the 3+2 time control. I have no experience at all with this except maybe one year in Aeroflot. When I was younger I preferred 5+0 but now i'm starting to like increment now that I'm the one usually getting flagged

Comment

I see more and more people playing with increments in "friendly" games. Those not using them are usually the ones who can't figure out how to setup the clock with increments!

With increments, you can also give time odds to a weaker player in interesting ways. For example. I saw one player starting the game with 5 seconds, and his (weaker) opponent with 3 minutes. There was a 1-second increment. The 5-second player would usually work his time up to 11 or 12 seconds, and won the majority of games (and money :-) )

Comment

I think is getting pretty much everywhere in serious tournaments, thats make sense. Nobody appreciates situations when the peaces are flying all over the board in the last seconds because your opponent try to win on time and avoid others unpleasant situations. Yes its true it might take few games to adapt but i believe that most of players will appreciate to win fairly.

And Eric you are welcome to come play if you want to train before your trip :)

Comment

Working...
          X