Curious about Dual processor systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about Dual processor systems

Does anyone have a laptop with 2 processors running deep Fritz or deep Rybbka?

Is there a noticeable difference between single processor and dual processor performance?

Thanks in advance

Michael Yip
    Beijing

Re: Curious about Dual processor systems

Internet search may retrieve desired results: try :)Mig , chess, dual processors, Chessbase, etc. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
      Does anyone have a laptop with 2 processors running deep Fritz or deep Rybbka?

Is there a noticeable difference between single processor and dual processor performance?

Thanks in advance

Michael Yip
      Beijing
      Virtually every chip under the sun is tested here. Enjoy!

http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/d...enchmarks.html

Comment

I think there is a big difference. I remember seeing the charts on some tech website.

I went from a single core with Hirarcs (Fritz 8) on my laptop to quad core Hirarcs (Fritz 10 multiprocessor) on my desktop and the speed increased like 40 times. The biggest improvement is quickly seeing mates or draw by rep over 20 moves deep, mates never found running on my slow laptop.

However, there are still many positions that befuddle the computer, and lines often have blunders 5 moves in that aren't caught until running the computer for over, I don't know, 3 - 10 hours. Maybe there's a better mode to use than Infinite Analysis. Maybe Rybka is better for post-game analysis?

For a game that shows how ridiculous computers are, see Nakamura sac two exchanges:
        http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1497429

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

For a game that shows how ridiculous computers are, see Nakamura sac two exchanges:
          http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1497429
          LOL that game is priceless. I was surprised to see how Rybka fell apart around move 160. I was also surprised that it was a Grob!

Thanks for the link, that made my day.

Comment

I think nearly all computer brands whether it be Dell, Sony, Acer, etc all have dual core processors nowadays. I myself run rybka quite often, although I don't think there really is a big difference between single or dual core. However, I will note that when I run rybka on my quadcore desktop the calculations are considerably more precise. Overall though, it's really a matter of the type of position and knowing when computers are most effective.

Comment

That was an absolutely hilarious encounter with Rybka::---but I must admit she has never played the Grob against me.
              As to processing speeds, if you check performance (control/alt/del etc.) when you are running deep Fritz or Rybka you will see that both cpus are operating at maximum speed versus only a single cpu for, say, Fritz 11.
              Whether that results in stronger play is, for me, academic since these engines can beat me at any time control without much effort. I do find, however, that the deep engines do a better job of overnight analysis (eg. blundercheck at 120 s.)---although that is only ancedotal based on the deep engines finding lines that are missed by the single processor versions.

Comment

Re : Curious about Dual processor systems

I read somewhere that there is a difference of +- 50 elo with a dual processor.

Of course, it makes a difference in a match between them, but I don't think that it changes something for us.

Comment

Working...
                X