Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis becomes the chess capital of America

http://saintlouischessclub.org/news/ChessCapital
    Its official. Washington has ruled that St.Louis is the chess capital of America.
    I notice several public chess personalities such as Yasser Seirawan, Jennifer Shahade, Irina Krush, and young Kayden Troff at the White House playing several White House staff and various politicians. Do you think we will ever see that on Parliament Hill? (and I dont mean allusions to the past with Jeff Sarwer - who did a wonderful thing by the way)

Re: St. Louis becomes the chess capital of America

Stockwell Day used to play coffee house chess but I don't know anyone of the current crowd who plays. No politicians come out to the RA Chess Club.
    I am told Steven Harper plays. For several years, his boss, Jim Hawkes, MP for Calgary, rented my parents' old house in Ottawa South. My young friend, Lawrence Day, used to play with his son, Rob, who was really quite good. If Lawrence reads this, he can fill in some of the blanks.

Comment

I have heard of at least two current MPs who play chess relatively seriously, but not publicly. They play online, and have taken private lessons. They would be about 1500.

Comment

Re : St. Louis becomes the chess capital of America

The president of the FQE was a candidate during the last provincial elections. He was unfortunately not elected.

Comment

Re: Re : St. Louis becomes the chess capital of America

Wasn't the same true of Brad Thomson?

Comment

Ya Brad ran in the riding I lived in at the time at least twice. I voted for him both times. Sadly, it wasn't enough. ;-)
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
            X