Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good article to publicize chess in Canada

From the article:
    Her idol is Bobby Fischer, one of the most prolific chess players of all time.

Bobby Fischer was one of the greatest chess players of all time, but he was not one of the most prolific.

Viktor Korchnoi was prolific. Anatoly Karpov was prolific. Bobby Fischer was not prolific.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
      From the article:
      Her idol is Bobby Fischer, one of the most prolific chess players of all time.

Bobby Fischer was one of the greatest chess players of all time, but he was not one of the most prolific.

Viktor Korchnoi was prolific. Anatoly Karpov was prolific. Bobby Fischer was not prolific.
      Depends on how you want to define that. If you include blitz games, many of which he knew by memory, he was very prolific. He constantly played blitz. I think it's also a little picky to compare him to Korchnoi seeing as how Korchnoi is still alive and playing at 82 and Fischer died at only 64. Maybe since Korchnoi never won the world champioship he felt he had to play on and had something to prove. Korchnoi certainly didn't like losing to Polgar in blitz. I prefer Fischer to Karpov's prolific but plodding series of draw after draw with Kasparov. I would say Fischer was prolific during the time period he played, not his entire lifetime.

Certainly Fischer was prolific enough for Kasparov to apparently devote most of Part IV of My Great Predecessors to Fischer. Fischer was also prolific in terms of ideas to change/improve the game. So increments, which everyone rejected when Fischer first proposed them, are now standard. Fischer random chess has not been adopted but who knows, maybe in the future when players become tired of draws.
      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 24th April, 2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
        I dont think there is ever going to be a big turn out of women at chess clubs or chess tournaments. Girls are not as competitve as guys are.
        You don't know many girls apparently.

They dont care and need chess to satify an inner desire to compete like guys do. I feel the women that try to promote chess for women are really trying to just promote themselves mainly.
        Or perhaps an alternative interpretation is that they achieved certain benefits from playing chess and they would like other girls to enjoy those same benefits.

90 percent of the girls you see at tournaments are asian or russian women.
        90 percent of the girls you see at tournaments are Asian or Russian in Toronto. In Detroit the percentages are quite different. In Chatham the percentages are also quite different. A significant portion of the world's population resides in Asia.

The rest of the women around the world dont care about chess and I think that is normal and good for the world. The only people that care about this issue are girls that play chess now that want to self promote themselves and guys who play chess because of selfish reasons.
        It seems the young guys really have a burr in their saddle about female chess players and want to keep them out. Why is that?

Comment

Re : Good article to publicize chess in Canada

Part of me says let the puerile (albeit he's not as young as some posters here seem to think) Mate Milinkovics of the world wallow in their nescience while another part screams for some kind of disabuse. A colossal waste of time and breath no doubt, but ...

Comment

Re: Re : Good article to publicize chess in Canada

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            Part of me says let the puerile (albeit he's not as young as some posters here seem to think) Mate Milinkovics of the world wallow in their nescience while another part screams for some kind of disabuse. A colossal waste of time and breath no doubt, but ...
            Nice post Jack. Admittedly, I had to look up puerile, nescience, and disabuse in the dictionary, just to be sure, but I totally agree. :D

Comment

Re: Re : Good article to publicize chess in Canada

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Nice post Jack. Admittedly, I had to look up puerile, nescience, and disabuse in the dictionary, just to be sure, but I totally agree. :D
              You were okay with colossal?

Comment

I am not against females playing chess. It just seems that female participation in chess is one of the most popular topics on here. Your not going to increase female participation in chess if you keep marketing chess to them the same way you have always been doing.

Most people who play chess tournaments join a chess club first. So if you want females to play in tournaments than create some chess clubs that are actually fun to play in. We have no female members at our chess club and I am not surprised by that. I have been to a number of chess clubs and they are more or less the same as ours. The club is full of hardcore chess players that are super serious about the game and their is not much going on except for serious chess. There is not much going on in terms of interesting social interaction that would appeal to a female.

The only way I think you can get more female participation in chess tournaments is to start up chess clubs for women only. If by chance a woman does come to a chess club they are creeped out because they are they only female at the club. Thoughts like wow I must be weird because I am the only female at the club must go through their heads.

Set up some chess clubs for women only and make the chess club fun. Allow the women to play chess games among each other and encourage them to socialize etc. Guys are super competitive and they are going to have fun as long as they can compete against each other in some serious chess games. Women are only going to continue coming to the club if you make it fun. They want to view it as a good night out once a week. If they get good at the game and have fun they will join the tournaments.

If you had a female come to your chess club how many times have they visited. We had a girl come to our club once and that was the only time she ever came in. I believe she did not even stay the whole night. It is a creepy environment already to have that many guys and no females at the chess club. Make women only clubs or make the clubs we have now fun.

I appreciate if people would reply to my posts professionally. You dont have to talk about my age and whether or not you like me as a person. I often take the side of a story that has not been mentioned already as I think it would be interesting for conversation. There is no point of me writing posts that just agree with what has already been mentioned or said as it adds nothing to the conversation. Professionally responding to posts involves replying to a point the person made by stating your opinion on the matter and nothing more. If you want to make it personal with me than I would like to meet you in person so we can do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  You don't know many girls apparently.

Or perhaps an alternative interpretation is that they achieved certain benefits from playing chess and they would like other girls to enjoy those same benefits.

90 percent of the girls you see at tournaments are Asian or Russian in Toronto. In Detroit the percentages are quite different. In Chatham the percentages are also quite different. A significant portion of the world's population resides in Asia.

I hope Jack Maguire learns how to properly post and takes your post as an example. You take someones words and reply to the words they said. You dont make it personal by trying to attack the poster. I never talk about anybodys character on here. If you start replying to the person rathar than the words they wrote your going to get a whole bunch or crap talk more along the lines of what Bindi does. Its easy to call people trolls and not fun etc but it adds nothing of worth to the topics. I would like to see Eminem and Jack go into a rap battle with each other. I pick Eminem as the winner if Jack leaves his dictionary and thesaurus at home.

It seems the young guys really have a burr in their saddle about female chess players and want to keep them out. Why is that?
                  I hope Jack Maguire learns how to properly post and takes your post as an example. You take someones words and reply to the words they said. You dont make it personal by trying to attack the poster. I never talk about anybodys character on here. If you start replying to the person rathar than the words they wrote your going to get a whole bunch or crap talk more along the lines of what Bindi does. Its easy to call people trolls and not fun etc but it adds nothing of worth to the topics. I would like to see Eminem and Jack go into a rap battle with each other. I pick Eminem as the winner if Jack leaves his dictionary and thesaurus at home.

Comment

I am not against females playing chess. It just seems that female participation in chess is one of the most popular topics on here. Your not going to increase female participation in chess if you keep marketing chess to them the same way you have always been doing.

Most people who play chess tournaments join a chess club first. So if you want females to play in tournaments than create some chess clubs that are actually fun to play in. We have no female members at our chess club and I am not surprised by that. I have been to a number of chess clubs and they are more or less the same as ours. The club is full of hardcore chess players that are super serious about the game and their is not much going on except for serious chess. There is not much going on in terms of interesting social interaction that would appeal to a female.

The only way I think you can get more female participation in chess tournaments is to start up chess clubs for women only. If by chance a woman does come to a chess club they are creeped out because they are they only female at the club. Thoughts like wow I must be weird because I am the only female at the club must go through their heads.

Set up some chess clubs for women only and make the chess club fun. Allow the women to play chess games among each other and encourage them to socialize etc. Guys are super competitive and they are going to have fun as long as they can compete against each other in some serious chess games. Women are only going to continue coming to the club if you make it fun. They want to view it as a good night out once a week. If they get good at the game and have fun they will join the tournaments.

If you had a female come to your chess club how many times have they visited. We had a girl come to our club once and that was the only time she ever came in. I believe she did not even stay the whole night. It is a creepy environment already to have that many guys and no females at the chess club. Make women only clubs or make the clubs we have now fun.

I appreciate if people would reply to my posts professionally. You dont have to talk about my age and whether or not you like me as a person. I often take the side of a story that has not been mentioned already as I think it would be interesting for conversation. There is no point of me writing posts that just agree with what has already been mentioned or said as it adds nothing to the conversation. Professionally responding to posts involves replying to a point the person made by stating your opinion on the matter and nothing more. If you want to make it personal with me than I would like to meet you in person so we can do it properly.
                    I think that people who want to play chess want to play because chess is competitive and involves a contest of skill and provides a great opportunity to learn. Women are no different than men: respect is expected regardless of ability!

Many beginning players can be intimidated by the hard core tournament mentality, so there must be an alternative of off hand games, perhaps 15-minute games to get used to using the clock etc. Many clubs only offer value for the hard core ("serious") player and people who prefer just to play socially find clubs not their cup of tea.

If a club offers a range of activities for a range of players from absolute novice to decent club player and beyond, they will attract a wide range of people. It is not easy for a club to offer a lot of different levels and services - for example, if you have only one physical room, it is hard to mix speed games, kreigspiele (sp?), casual play and kibitzing in the same location as a team match or rated tournament. Having a separate room for rated games is a great luxury.

It requires a dedicated group of tireless volunteers to run a really great club with something for everyone.

Perhaps clubs have to make a fundamental decision whether they are for 'serious' players (whether or not they are any good is another story) or for 'casual play'

Many of the beginners I have seen come to clubs get discouraged because they see a huge gap between their understanding and that of the seasoned weekend swiss warriors and they (mistakenly) think they cannot overcome that perceived gap. If only we can convince them that they can nevertheless enjoy chess at whatever level they choose...

added: Liza's article illustrates perfectly the attitude that is great to see. I admire her: she seems to be quite fearless and dedicated and I think she will be successful no matter what she chooses to do. Unfortunately, many people (men and women) are not so confident and the typical club and tournament atmosphere does not serve them well.
                    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 24th April, 2013, 07:13 PM. Reason: added some context re: Liza's article
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

If you want to make it personal with me than I would like to meet you in person so we can do it properly.
                      Post reported.
                      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re : Re: Good article to publicize chess in Canada

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                        Post reported.
                        I'm sure he meant that he would love to solve this over the board :D

Comment

Growing up as a chess player in the late 70s /early 80s it never occurred to me to play serious chess at a chess club. I am sure as a junior I would not have been interested. Weekend tournaments were where we played serious chess. Chess clubs were where we played blitz, looked at the latest top-level tournament games, hung out and talked chess. Some of the people I hung out with back then are still in my life even if they haven't pushed a pawn in 20+ years.

Things now are different. Daryl Bertrand set up a club in Ottawa a few years ago. It featured only casual chess. I loved the idea and went almost every week. I was in the minority; the club never had more than a dozen players and it died after a few months. Meanwhile, the RA Club, which features pretty much only serious chess, is thriving. Seems people want to go to chess clubs now to get their tournament fix. I don't understand it, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I doubt a woman-only club featuring casual chess would get many members, but as the previous paragraph suggests, my judgment on this issue is pretty suspect. ;-)

I am sure I learned way more from the informal group analyses at the club than I ever did playing. Maybe that's one reason why people have to hire instructors nowadays; they don't have many opportunities to discuss stuff informally so they need to hire someone off of whom they can bounce ideas and ask questions.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

After reading all responses I think, that we are happy in Aurora to have a balanced club with serious tournaments braked by rapids, and always going casual battles. :D As for women - the club is filled with them though mostly moms and seems they enjoy their time :p Nevertheless several girls come on regular bases and play in tournaments. They have a potential to grow in chess, and we'll try to support them :)

Comment

A couple of points.

I play chess because my father taught it to me, played games with me which gave me lot of practice and it's part of the culture of my country of birth.

I think women have the option, as does everyone, to play on the internet. No need to go near a club if you don't want to. A wide range of players of all strengths. If being the only woman is a concern for them then weekend tournaments may solve that as a few women are usually at those tournaments.

I still think that part of the reason women don't play chess as much is that they are more attracted to card games, such as bridge. So the larger number of women are at the bridge clubs or playing euchre and so on. Just an observation. Chess seems to have the same situation as video games or computer games.

Comment

Congratulations to Liza for her standing and opinions. It is a sign of maturity.

Comment

Working...
                                X