Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good article to publicize chess in Canada

[QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;67423]Depends on how you want to define that./QUOTE]

That's quite true, but I wasn't proposing a non-standard definition of the term "prolific." I was assuming one of the standard definitions. Here is one, from Google:

"Prolific: (Of an artist, author, or composer) Producing many works."

Did Bobby Fischer produce "many works?" Clearly not. The record:

Bobby Fischer: 744 tournament and match games.
    Viktor Korchnoi: 4700+ tournament and match games.
    Anatoly Karpov: 3600+ tournament and match games.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dan Scoones;67470]
      Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      Depends on how you want to define that./QUOTE]

That's quite true, but I wasn't proposing a non-standard definition of the term "prolific." I was assuming one of the standard definitions. Here is one, from Google:

"Prolific: (Of an artist, author, or composer) Producing many works."

Did Bobby Fischer produce "many works?" Clearly not. The record:

Bobby Fischer: 744 tournament and match games.
      Viktor Korchnoi: 4700+ tournament and match games.
      Anatoly Karpov: 3600+ tournament and match games.
      I still think you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare a deceased 64 year old with a living 80 something player. You also don't include blitz games. Do you not consider blitz chess? Besides the article didn't say he was the most prolific. It just said he was one of the most prolific. If you include blitz, which I think is chess, then he is, given the rate of games that he played during his playing career. I also think you are doing Fischer a disservice by comparing him to Karpov, who had the luxury of complete state funding; something which Fischer never had. In fact likely Karpov would not have been able to decide to retire on his own. He would have had to get permission from the state to step down and likely would have lost his funding if he did so.
      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 25th April, 2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
        I hope Jack Maguire learns how to properly post and takes your post as an example. You take someones words and reply to the words they said. You dont make it personal by trying to attack the poster. I never talk about anybodys character on here. If you start replying to the person rathar than the words they wrote your going to get a whole bunch or crap talk more along the lines of what Bindi does. Its easy to call people trolls and not fun etc but it adds nothing of worth to the topics. I would like to see Eminem and Jack go into a rap battle with each other. I pick Eminem as the winner if Jack leaves his dictionary and thesaurus at home.
        Most of the people who I discuss things on Chesstalk with, even when I disagree with them, I respect them and their right to an opinion even when it is wrong. :) It is possible to have different opinions without becoming upset with someone who doesn't agree with you on every aspect of every question. I can be very annoying when I want to be but usually I don't want to be unless it has to do with the climate thread.

Comment

Liza Orlova gave a simul at the Ontario Youth Championships at Kitchener City Hall on Sunday April 28th. I was the other simul giver and she was a far greater attraction for chess promotion than I was. Im not too shabby at promoting but Im just another tired old white guy. Liza did an excellent job from what I hear and caused quite a stir and I congratulate her.

Comment

Working...
          X