Question About Forced Byes - TD's Please Read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question About Forced Byes - TD's Please Read!

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
    1/2 forced bye seems unfair to me. The player could always argue that he would have won his game.

And the unpaired player is already penalized by not playing (imo) while he registered for the tournament, made arrangements etc.

The only problem I see with the 1 point forced bye is in the subsequent pairings. For example, when the lowest rated player gets 1 point in round 1 and is then paired with the leaders in round 2. This 'easy game' in round 2 can help one of the leaders down the road.
    Mathieu,

All of what you said is what was going through my mind when I was deciding on the last-round pairings, and to whom to give the forced bye. I'm thinking I would have done better to take a 0-point bye in the last round, forfeit my chance to play Aman Hambleton, and allow the rest of the players to be paired.

And then I thought... I invested a lot of money in the tournament. I really wanted the chance to play Hambleton, regardless of the result (i.e. losing fast or losing in a long game :)).

Thanks, Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

In France, 1/2 points byes are totally forbidden and any arbiter caught giving one risk a blame or a suspension. In France, all arbiters must be licensed by the Federation which issues Federal Licences to all arbiters. Even foreign FA and IA require a Federal Licence to work as an arbiter in France.

1/2 point bye are useful to please the client, but they are harmful when you want to fight for chess as a sport. Impact and Toronto FC do not ask for the points of a drawn game without playing. No sports permit it!

FIDE allows 1/2 points forced byes but I do not know any organiser who have used them.

Originally posted by FIDE Swiss Rules
      A.5

Byes

Should the total number of players be (or become) odd, one player ends up unpaired. This player receives a bye: no opponent, no colour , 1 point or half point (as stated in the tournament regulations).
      Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post

A - In North America we give 1/2 points for no reason what-so-ever, just to keep everybody happy. A requested bye traditionally / anywhere else in the world is zero points. I had an arbiter in Europe look at me strangely when I requested a bye, that's how uncommon it was. So now we have to distinguish between different kinds of byes.

Alex Ferreira
      Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Saturday, 27th April, 2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

As a result of the excellent replies that I received on this thread, I am happy to announce that I will award Samir El-Gohary with $33 this evening for sharing both the U1800 and Top Senior's prize at the 2013 NL Chess Championships.

My sincere apologies go to Mr El-Gohary for my error in judgement.

Thanks to all who responded to this enquiry... I greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Jordan S. Berson
        TD in training :D
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
        X