Videos: Tax savings working for you! when will there be something for CHESS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos: Tax savings working for you! when will there be something for CHESS.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/vdgllry/wtc...hldrnftnss-eng

isn't it sad to see that parents cannot claim any tax credit for chess expenses? why CFC doesn't work on something to get tax credit for chess:)

Re: Videos: Tax savings working for you! when will there be something for CHESS.

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post

isn't it sad to see that parents cannot claim any tax credit for chess expenses? why CFC doesn't work on something to get tax credit for chess:)
    I'm going to suggest you call CRA up. I don't like to give tax advise but there is a possibility that your complaint is mistaken.

Comment

Re : Videos: Tax savings working for you! when will there be something for CHESS.

The video does say that chess is not a valid activity for tax credit. However, chess camps usually include other physical activities (like soccer) that make them valid for tax credits. I know many parents that got a tax credit for chess camps.

Comment

Re: Re : Videos: Tax savings working for you! when will there be something for CHESS.

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        The video does say that chess is not a valid activity for tax credit. However, chess camps usually include other physical activities (like soccer) that make them valid for tax credits. I know many parents that got a tax credit for chess camps.
        Then perhaps you need to watch this video http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/vdgllry/wtc.../chldrnrts-eng

Comment

Re: Videos: Tax savings working for you! when will there be something for CHESS.

This web page may help:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...prgrm-eng.html

It seems clear that chess would qualify under item "develop and use particular intellectual skills" but Revenue Canada and I have disagreed before...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            This web page may help:

It seems clear that chess would qualify under item "develop and use particular intellectual skills" but Revenue Canada and I have disagreed before...
            I would tend to agree with Kerry and I would tend to believe that CRA might as well. And if you think about it you wouldn't want to qualify under the fitness credit for chess because if your child is also involved under a qualifying fitness activity then there does not appear to be anything preventing you from claiming for both fitness and art. Although not for the same event ie same camp etc. I would suggest 2 different activities/events and 2 different separate fees paid.

(Disclaimer: My opinion only and not intended as tax advise or interpretation.)
            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Sunday, 28th April, 2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
              I would tend to agree with Kerry and I would tend to believe that CRA might as well. And if you think about it you wouldn't want to qualify under the fitness credit for chess because if your child is also involved under a qualifying fitness activity then there does not appear to be anything preventing you from claiming for both fitness and art. Although not for the same event ie same camp etc. I would suggest 2 different activities/events and 2 different separate fees paid.

(Disclaimer: My opinion only and not intended as tax advise or interpretation.)
              Someone on ChessTalk (if I recall correctly) used to work for Revenue Canada and always recommended just calling them and asking about such matters. I imagine their phone lines are likely jammed this time of year, but you might just get through... I have heard a number of people just claim things and worry about it when/if they get audited... I cannot say that is a good continuation.

Comment

Someone on ChessTalk (if I recall correctly) used to work for Revenue Canada and always recommended just calling them and asking about such matters. I imagine their phone lines are likely jammed this time of year, but you might just get through... I have heard a number of people just claim things and worry about it when/if they get audited... I cannot say that is a good continuation.
                I'd agree with you and the person who gave that advise. Hopefully they put extra staff on the phones this time of year. That's what they are there for. In addition you can search for a 'comfort letter' on their website. This is a letter where they give an advanced opinion on a tax matter that someone, usually a professional, has written in about to find out beforehand what CRA's interpretation would be. They don't exist for all topics but they are quite useful.

Comment

Some years ago we put (winter) CMA chess camp expenses into that fitness line, as the program had activities enough to satisfy requirements.

As for pure chess - I think it was already discussed here - intellectual/educational (chess) classes would fit too. I think it was more like on a provincial (Ontario) level, than federal.

imho, instructors should acknowledge better if their programs are good enough :D

Comment

This web page may help:

Thanks every one, good thing is I have other arts and fitness expense to claim up to $500 limit.
                    just notice it is interesting that the CRA video specially mentions CHESS not qualify

Comment

Thanks every one, good thing is I have other arts and fitness expense to claim up to $500 limit.
                      just notice it is interesting that the CRA video specially mentions CHESS not qualify
                      Right, chess does not qualify for fitness. It may qualify for the separate arts credit. Call the CRA to be sure. I hope we are all clear on that now. And it would not likely be beneficial to claim chess under the fitness credit if a child is also involved in a qualifying fitness activity and no need to if chess qualifies under the arts credit.

So there you go George, no apparent problem and no need to criticize the CFC for not lobbying for something that appears to not be a problem. Once you clarify this with the CRA to your own satisfaction you might even clarify that the CFC was blameless in all of this; and that there is nothing to be sad about.
                      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 30th April, 2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                        Right, chess does not qualify for fitness. It may qualify for the separate arts credit. Call the CRA to be sure. I hope we are all clear on that now. And it would not likely be beneficial to claim chess under the fitness credit if a child is also involved in a qualifying fitness activity and no need to if chess qualifies under the arts credit.

So there you go George, no apparent problem and no need to criticize the CFC for not lobbying for something that appears to not be a problem. Once you clarify this with the CRA to your own satisfaction you might even clarify that the CFC was blameless in all of this; and that there is nothing to be sad about.
                        There was no need to berate George for his initial post (but that seldom stops you does it?). Perhaps the CFC could have researched this topic and obtained a ruling or a clarification from Revenue Canada and posted it on the CFC website Youth section? At the very least a few links like the ones we found could have been posted. With the CFC emphasis on youth sponsorship, some pertinent information is always on topic.

Comment

Being a former CRA Call Centre agent, this is the best advice that I can give to anyone who is unsure as to whether they qualify for any credit:

1. Do not claim the credit on your T1 Tax Return.
                          2. Immediately after filing your T1 Tax Return, submit a T1-ADJ requesting a review of your qualification for the credit.
                          3. Be very patient waiting for a reply.
                          4A) If the reply is that you qualify for the credit, then you will receive a refund in the amount that you would have received with your original return, plus interest accrued.
                          4B) If the reply is that you do not qualify for the credit, then you can file an appeal if you disgree with the decision.

That's the best way to know if you qualify for any credit. And you can call 1-800-959-8281 (press * to speak with an agent) to confirm that.

The worst thing that taxpayers can do is compare their tax situation with others. Chess Camp "A" may qualify for the credit, but Chess Camp "B" may not. That is precisely why it is better to request a review as explained above. Also, family "X" may qualify for a credit from Chess Camp "A", however family "Y" may not. It all depends on which other credits each family qualifies for or not. Tax credits can be complex beasts... it's best to let the CRA determine your entitlement for you, rather than assume that your interpretation of the online guidelines is 100% accurate.

All the best, Jordan
                          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

There was no need to berate George for his initial post (but that seldom stops you does it?). Perhaps the CFC could have researched this topic and obtained a ruling or a clarification from Revenue Canada and posted it on the CFC website Youth section? At the very least a few links like the ones we found could have been posted. With the CFC emphasis on youth sponsorship, some pertinent information is always on topic.
                            There was no need for George to berate the CFC in his initial post. But that seldom stops him. It's pretty clear that chess is not disallowed under the arts credit and has been discussed a number of times on this board as well. As Jordan suggests it is best to check with CRA in individual cases.

Going on about it's not being allowed under fitness is not very constructive. Chess was also included and named specifically in the original information when the credit was announced by the government. It is not up to the CFC to educate everyone on the Canadian tax system; nor is it up to the CFC to get a ruling for each individual case, especially if it is a CMA event/coach/program. We are talking about credit for children and we all should know which the lead organization in Canada is for that.

At some point it's up to everyone to find out for themselves and not shoot first and ask later. I'm not sure why you want to shift the blame back to the CFC on this one. It's one thing to criticize the CFC when they have done something wrong, it's another just to criticize them for the sake of criticizing them. Even if the CFC got such an unnecessary ruling, I doubt George would have availed himself of it. Just as he didn't contact the CRA when he had questions.
                            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 30th April, 2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X