Eric Hansen - Officially #1 in Canada!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric Hansen - Officially #1 in Canada!

What a complete waste of a thread

Comment

These days threads are very colorful lol

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
        What a complete waste of a thread
        No kidding... the sequence of events that lead to this thread getting so sidetracked is kind of amusing.

Congrats to Eric.

Comment

Haven't board prizes been changed to performance rating? Seem to recall Eric finished quite high on his board.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Eric Hansen - Officially #1 in Canada!

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            Don't forget about rating inflation too!
            Good point, I was going to mention that as well...
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Eric Hansen - Officially #1 in Canada!

As much as I would really love to become an IM or a GM, I would never feel satisfied with gaining a title that I didn't earn. If I can't play at the strength of the title I just bought, then what's the point in buying it?
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

It is really too bad that the true hero of the north who defended board 1 in Turin and defeated the world champion never gets any praise...

As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. ... Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                  It is really too bad that the true hero of the north who defended board 1 in Turin and defeated the world champion never gets any praise...

As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. ... Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
                  Hikaru,

Anand was ranked #1 in the world in 2006, but sadly he was not the World Champion when Charbonneau beat him. Topalov (FIDE) and Kramnik (PCA) were the World Champions at that time. Anand was the undisputed World Champion the following year.

The only other player that also beat a soon-to-be World Champion (that I know of) was Abe Yanofsky, when he beat Botvinnik in 1946. Botvinnik became World Champion in 1948.

Jordan
                  Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Friday, 3rd May, 2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Bluvshtein beat post-World Champion Topalov in 2010 which also would make the short list of most notable Canadian games.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                      Bluvshtein beat post-World Champion Topalov in 2010 which also would make the short list of most notable Canadian games.
                      I totally forgot about this game!!!

http://markbluvshtein.wordpress.com/...htein-topalov/

Comment

Sounds like a passage from Lord of the Rings.

Those who cannot remember algebra are doomed to repeat it as well.

Comment

OMG someone has clearly not been studying their philosophy. Very sad that a very famous quote by Santayana apparently goes above and beyond the heads of some people.

Comment

OMG someone has clearly not been studying their philosophy. Very sad that a very famous quote by Santayana apparently goes above and beyond the heads of some people.
                            I'm familiar with the quote, it's not that obscure. At the very least because it is one of my Ryerson history professor's least favourite pithy sayings about history. Not least because he finds it often quoted by those who know little else about history and take an overly simplistic view of it.

It's right up there with all men are created equal but some more equal than others. Those two sayings are all you need to sound impressive at dinner parties.
                            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 4th May, 2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Gary Ruben; Sunday, 5th May, 2013, 11:36 AM.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                                I'm familiar with the quote, it's not that obscure. At the very least because it is one of my Ryerson history professor's least favourite pithy sayings about history. Not least because he finds it often quoted by those who know little else about history and take an overly simplistic view of it.

It's right up there with all men are created equal but some more equal than others. Those two sayings are all you need to sound impressive at dinner parties.
                                I'm sure you're familiar with the quote now.
                                i rep back 3+

Comment

Working...
                                X