Eric Hansen - Officially #1 in Canada!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric Hansen - Officially #1 in Canada!

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    No thanks. You've not shown one shred of historical knowledge, so I think the debate is at an end for me. There is no use discussing history without discussing some history. Or to put it in terms you will understand, as expressed within the Twitter character limit you seem to speak in:

Douse the camp fire, stick a pin in the inflatable doll, take down the volleyball net and let's move on.
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

I don't pretend to be a history/philosophy expert unlike some people.

Quite simply, I interpret this as "if you can't learn from your mistakes (or the mistakes of others), you're going to keep making them". You have used some very subjective and unclear reasoning(s) in trying to disprove the validity of this quote.

I don't see any profound language or embellishment at play here - the meaning seems quite apparent to me.

Wiritng an essay on an internet forum isn't always effective in getting your message across. Maybe that's why Twitter was created in the first place?
    Last edited by Kevin Me; Tuesday, 7th May, 2013, 03:55 PM. Reason: cheeky
    i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
      "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

I don't pretend to be a history/philosophy expert unlike some people.

Quite simply, I interpret this as "if you can't learn from your mistakes (or the mistakes of others), you're going to keep making them". You have used some very subjective and unclear reasoning(s) in trying to disprove the validity of this quote.

I don't see any profound language or embellishment at play here - the meaning seems quite apparent to me.

Wiritng an essay on an internet forum isn't always effective in getting your message across. Maybe that's why Twitter was created in the first place?
      Wow, he can talk! Unfortunately like I said the camp fire is out and the blow up doll is deflated. Nobody's playing volleyball because the net is down. I've moved on. Too little too late from you.

Being critiqued by someone who doesn't know much about history of philosophy by his own admission is not my idea of excitement. Not falling for every silly saying out there does not make me an expert. It just makes me smarter than Paris Hilton even though she's very talented. And Twitter was invented so that people like you could conceal their lack of knowledge by blaming the space limitation

And next time, try to get the quote correct http://www.nowpublic.com/those-who-m...paraphrase-him Not that the correct quote is much of an improvement. And I guess that H. Nakamura should be the first to know the issue below & be pointing out that not only is the quote not correct but that it was bent out of context ie not meant to be used in the way he used it. Your confusion can be excused because you are no expert.

From the link: As for the quotation itself, Contemporary Hispanic Biography [1] said that "students of Santayana's work complain that the maxim has been taken out of context: Originally it formed part of a theory about how knowledge is acquired rather than being a moral exhortation to pay attention to history, and it has a didactic quality that is foreign to the subtle, paradoxical, and occasionally humorous quality of Santayana's thought."
      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 7th May, 2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

It's a silly quote. More often wrong than right.....
        maybe you should just counter quote...

“History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

“History is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of documentation.”

“No matter what your history has been, your destiny is what you create today.”

or some other quote that I'm sure you can find.

The easiest way to show that an anodyne saying is empty of substantive meaning is to counter with an opposing anodyne vacuous saying.

e.g. Haste makes waste! but A stitch in time saves nine!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

“History is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of documentation.”

The easiest way to show that an anodyne saying is empty of substantive meaning is to counter with an opposing anodyne vacuous saying.

e.g. Haste makes waste! but A stitch in time saves nine!
          A good idea but that's how we got into this mess. I countered that: Those who don't know algebra are doomed to repeat it. And here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post

It seems appropriate for Canada's newest GM to finally claim the spot as Canada's #1 player on the FIDE list. Congrats! :D
            I think # 1 chess player in Canada is GM Anton Kovalyov.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
              It is really too bad that the true hero of the north who defended board 1 in Turin and defeated the world champion never gets any praise...

As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. ... Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
              Can you now explain why you have the both the correct quote (Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.) and an incorrect quote (Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it) all in the same quotations, separated by ... as if both things were said by George Santayana in the same work? That's pretty sloppy and somewhat disrespectful for someone who claims to study Santayana. It's not something that someone who has actually read the work should do. If I did that on an academic paper I would have a lot of marks deducted, I might even fail for not quoting correctly and attributing my own words to someone else ie putting words in Santayana's mouth. Doing so so that I can then write the rest of my paper as if he had said that. That's academic dishonesty.

Comment

Can you now explain why .......
                Hikaru, this is all very entertaining, but before you respond,
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCq2T7zclXY :D

Comment

Those are so mild.

Grab this one:
                  Dwell on the past, and you will lose an eye; forget the past, and you will lose both.
                  :D

Comment

Can you now explain why you have the both the correct quote (Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.) and an incorrect quote (Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it) all in the same quotations, separated by ... as if both things were said by George Santayana in the same work? That's pretty sloppy and somewhat disrespectful for someone who claims to study Santayana. It's not something that someone who has actually read the work should do. If I did that on an academic paper I would have a lot of marks deducted, I might even fail for not quoting correctly and attributing my own words to someone else ie putting words in Santayana's mouth. Doing so so that I can then write the rest of my paper as if he had said that. That's academic dishonesty.
                    newsflash: chesstalk is not an academic paper.

Comment

“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.”

"History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there." - Santayana

"Those who misquote George Santayana are condemned to paraphrase him."
                      Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Wednesday, 8th May, 2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Another thread down the tubes... thanks.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

a) not academic dishonesty
                          b) lol
                          c) lol
                          i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Another thread down the tubes... thanks.
                            There was nothing to argue on the main thread. The fact was too plain :D Lets wait till he beats the BC highest rated player Hikaru N.

Comment

Some would argue that the strongest player Canada ever produced, in relantion to his era, was Abe Yanofsky.

Comment

I don't know about the past Canadian greats and so I'm not going to try and compare Eric with any of them.

What I see is a pretty impressive rating at a young age with potential to get even higher. While at his current rating he might not match the all-time greats like Yanofsky, Suttles, Spraggett, Lesiege etc. especially when adjusting for inflation, the advantage that Eric still possesses is his young age and the fact that most of his achievements is based on his own discipline and self-study. He didn't come from the Soviet school of chess or studied in any specific chess school, he did it mostly on his own and a private coach here and there.

I believe that most chess players peak at around age 25-35, similar to lots of other professional sports like baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey etc. and so he still has some years left in the tank to aim for 2600, and then maybe 2700 with some luck and good timing. After that, who knows, Nakamura was bouncing around high 2600s low 2700 for a long time before finally jumping into the world stage as one of the top players in the world. It's fully possible for Eric to do the same but obviously, when someone tries to achieve greatness in such a specialized field, it's going to be a hard, grueling journey and sacrifices will have to be made.

Also, I don't see Anton as Canadian - he's fully Argentinian, playing in the summer tournaments and winning the Quebec junior every year does not make him a home-grown Canadian player in my eyes.
                                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                                X